Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently paid off the bike, i have some money burning a hole in my pocket, and i decided that wanted something to have some offroad fun. Being that I have Honda credit already I was looking at the TRX 450R quad, or a CR 250R dirt bike. Let me know if you have any advice, and pros/cons of the quads and bikes.

Those of you lucky enough to have or have ridden both, which do you have more fun with

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was thinking about getting a dirtbike a couple of months ago. After reading about the upkeep of a two stroke motor I decided against it. I came to my senses and bought another streetbike.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I grew up on dirt bikes, and BOY do I miss um somedays. Quads are fun, but ya can't zip around on um like you can on a dirt bike.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
aggierider said:
Having recently paid off the bike, i have some money burning a hole in my pocket, and i decided that wanted something to have some offroad fun. Being that I have Honda credit already I was looking at the TRX 450R quad, or a CR 250R dirt bike. Let me know if you have any advice, and pros/cons of the quads and bikes.

Those of you lucky enough to have or have ridden both, which do you have more fun with
If you are going to get a quad, get the TRX650 Rincon, I haven't run into anythiing that i can't do with it yet. Plus it is very comfortable and it hauls ass. it is good for just trail riding or hitting the mud holes just see how far you can make it before getting stuck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The CR250 is probably a nice versatile bike. I've been mudding up my TZ250 and I have to say, sometimes I really want a thumper. Do you think you'll get bored or want more power after a while?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a nice investment plan already and paying into a separate retirement fund outside of the one from my workplace, so i am adequately planning for the future already

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Send me a money order with all of the dough? I would say, a mod for you current bike.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
aggierider said:

do you like to work on bikes? if not, dont get a 2 stroke. Get the 450 thumper, what is it, the crf?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dirtbike all the way!! Get a 4 stroke........

·
Registered
912 Posts
send me the money i need to pay rent

·
Registered
401 Posts
You gonna play ride on those Honda's or race. I've ridden and raced both quads and bikes. Quads: 88 TRX250R, 88 350RX, Leagers PRO-Trax 250R and a Yamaha YZ250F. The stock Yamaha will do everything my national Leagers quad would do on a track. The CR really isn't that much maintenence. Change and clean your air filter on a regular basis and depending on how much you ride, you might change a piston once or twice a year. Changing the piston is really easy once you do it. We've changed the topend on a TRX250R at the track in between motos. The harder you ride 'em the more maintenence you do. Goes for dirt and street machines.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
what kinda area are you going to be riding in. one with a lot of mud get the quad. hills I say quad. Jumps and stuff like the the D/B. It all depends on what tyhe terain is going to be like.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
neutom72 said:
I was thinking about getting a dirtbike a couple of months ago. After reading about the upkeep of a two stroke motor I decided against it. .

WOW....not mechanically inclined are we?

2-stroke motors are THE MOST easily worked on motors I've ever touched

A $70 rebuild kit every other year and oil/gas is ALL the maint you have to deal with.

4-strokes last longer between servicing but at the cost of valves and such to deal with.

I'd rather have a 2-stroke ANY DAY....that power band hits on a 250 and you can wheelie in ANY gear :headbang

·
Banned
730 Posts
Two-strokes and heavy maintenance? What planet am I on? You can go years on the same top-end w/ no troubles. All the while leaving thumpers w/ almost twice the displacement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts