Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I put a $300 deposit on a bike from a dealer here in Florida. Well I ended up finding a used one locally the day after I put my deposit down at the dealer. I called them and told them the situation and kindly asked for my deposit back. They said no problem we'll put it through this week.

Like I said, it's now been about a month and I still haven’t received my deposit back. I call them at least once or twice a week and they keep telling me they'll put it through but they never do. His last excuse was they didn’t have enough money in their credit card machine to credit my account. That was over a week ago. I'm sick of calling them and I want my money back.

Is this something I should take to small claims court? I've never been and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
First report them to the Better Buisness buro then let them know your next step is to go to cort.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Well good luck. As I understand it a deposit is generally to be sure that a person goes through with a transaction and is non refundable. I hope this is not the case for you though.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
I agree with f2Benny, deposits are generally non refundable, unless the shop was unable to get the deal done for what ever reason, you changed your mind. what I dont like and I think is shady and bad business is them telling you that they will gladly refund your money, then they keep putting you off. thats BS business there.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
f2benny said:
Well good luck. As I understand it a deposit is generally to be sure that a person goes through with a transaction and is non refundable. I hope this is not the case for you though.
I would agree... I don't think they will refund your deposite.. maybe unless they sell the bike to another party, then you might have a chance...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
QWIK1 said:
I would agree... I don't think they will refund your deposite.. maybe unless they sell the bike to another party, then you might have a chance...
Nice. Go there two-up style on the new RC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deposit was on a bike they didn't even have in stock. I put the deposit down on a Saturday and called them the following Monday to cancel it. They didn't even have enough time to do any work.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Deposits can certainly be refundable. They said they would refund it, they have failed to comply. If you paid by CC, you can dispute the charges with your CC company. You can politely show up in person and leave with your refund in hand.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Usually deposits are nonrefundable the whole point of a deposit is for them to whole a particular piece of merchandise for you. And when they do that they cannot sell that particular merchandise to anyone else thus missing out on a potential sales oppurtunity thats why they ask for a deposit in the 1st place to ensure that you are a serious buyer and they arent wasting their time. As far as not having enough money in a credit card machine WTF is that? They should just refund it to your card the same way they charged it to your card. Hopefully you will get your money back. If they refuse, I wouldnt take it to court because it really doesnt look too good in your favor. Does nobody on here watch peoples court? :lao J/k Hope it works out for you though. Good luck :beer

·
Registered
910 Posts
Everything is negotiable. I haven't had much trouble giving refundable deposits. Just make sure the transaction is written that way. Less he said she said later on.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Look over your paperwork. Many dealers have an arrangment where you can get your deposit back for a few days after making it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Maybe call the police? Not sure what they can do though. Anything in the paperwork about refundable deposits?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mikem317 said:
Maybe call the police? Not sure what they can do though. Anything in the paperwork about refundable deposits?
If wish I had paperwork to look over. Everything was done over the phone. I live in Jacksonville and the dealer I'm going through is in Tallahassee. I'm thinking about writing a letter of demand stating that I will take them to small claims if my deposit isn't refunded by August 1st.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Why don't you just ask your cc company to do a charge back?

·
Old enough to be your dad
99 Posts
CC Company is the way to go. They have more power than you or your local police and you wont waste your time with court. its all electronic, the dealer cant do a thing about it other than file a counter complaint, and you never received any good or service so I would hazard to guess they dont stand a chance. Check the back of your statement for the inx on how to file.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts