Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to ride 2 up with a combined weight of 300 pounds. Any suggestions on which notch to put it on?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
More importantly, tire pressure to 2-up spec. Preload, it's only a matter of preference and riding style. For leisure cruising, I'd say leave it alone. For a spirited ride, I'd go all the way up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
would you make the same suggestion for 200+lb plus GIVI topcase?
In preping for a long ride (10+days). I've noticed the front getting pretty light.

I've done 2-up and it didn't feel this light.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The topcase might be pushing down on the rear at speed due to it's earodynamics. Adjust the preload to minimize the rear sag which now becomes dynamic depending on your cruising speed. Adjust the pre-load one click at a time to get the optimal comfort zone set to your desired cruising speed.

A better way is to experiment and put some spoilers on the topcase. Something to break-up the air flow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
From reading this thread... I'm hearing that the shock setting is really a matter of ride preference, but wouldn't it make sense to increase the setting slightly in terms of weight?

I currently have mine at default, 3. Does anyone know what rider weight the default setting was set/tested for? I weigh about 180-185 lbs and was thinking of increasing mine to at least 4, since I occasionally have a passenger also.

Sorry about the newb/squid questions... I'm always trying to learn.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My wife and I commute 90 miles a day, 4 days a week. We work different shifts on Monday so I ride solo then. My preload is set to 6. Our combined weight with a loaded tank bag is about 340 lbs. I don't bother dropping it when I ride solo and it's a bit hard, but not bad. Before I raised the preload, the back sagged pretty bad when riding two-up.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
f5nix said:
From reading this thread... I'm hearing that the shock setting is really a matter of ride preference, but wouldn't it make sense to increase the setting slightly in terms of weight?

I currently have mine at default, 3. Does anyone know what rider weight the default setting was set/tested for? I weigh about 180-185 lbs and was thinking of increasing mine to at least 4, since I occasionally have a passenger also.

Sorry about the newb/squid questions... I'm always trying to learn.
It's set for 250 lbs. at default, but the pre-load is adjusted only so that you don't bottom out. It doesn't raise the back, nor does it lower it. Think of it as a cushion. The harder the cushion, the more load it will take to fully squeeze it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts