Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been caught in the rain a few times these past couple days in NY. I oiled the chain after every heavy storm but now when I put the key into the ignition, it's a bit harder to turn. Now I know I should squirt some oil in there, can I use WD-40 or should I use the chain wax.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I've seen people use white lithium grease (the spray stuff). It's waterproof.

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts
maybe off topic.....but someone also posted that a 35 mm film cartridge container or top will cover the ignition itself when you have to park it in the rain.
I've also found that the top(cover) of some spray cans work also(like the top of a can of wd40)

hope this helps
ceek

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Get some of that "lock de-icer" from any auto parts and squirt it in there to clean the tumblers. Blow it dry with compressed air and repeat. Let dry before applying graphite.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I still haven't even taken the plastic protective layer off from the ignition lock, in fact, I just noticed it... anybody else not realize that it's there? :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I still haven't even taken the plastic protective layer off from the ignition lock, in fact, I just noticed it... anybody else not realize that it's there? :)
There's a protective plastic layer on the ignition lock :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
greatzippy said:
There's a protective plastic layer on the ignition lock :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yeah, at the keyhole plate. You wont notice it unless you keep missing the keyhole and scratch it like I do! :lao

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Binary Jay said:
It took me a year to pull it off.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the scratches that are being left behind around the ignition from my house key. Anyone have any suggestions? Blue annodizing would be tight. Maybe I'll do that over the winter.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Keep the bike key on a seperate keychain like I do, use a soft rubber/plastic key fob.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Keep the bike key on a seperate keychain like I do, use a soft rubber/plastic key fob.
I have one of those, but I stuck my house key on it so I don't have to walk around with a pocket full of keys when I go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I put the plastic sleeve from the moto keys (on when the dealer handed them over) on the house key. Works for a while.

·
Thread Killer
255 Posts
I take my key off the keychain before putting it in the ignition. Kind of a hassle, but I use a mini caribiner to hold it so it is easy to remove and replace.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use a Drums tuning key holder made out of leather that's made to be put in a key chain. It can be opened to release the tuning key at it just happens that our key fits like a glove. Cheap, fast, leather, coool.:)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My whole bike keychain consists of the bike's key, attached to a rubber Strongbadia, Pop: Tire keychain.

I don't mind keeping the numerous other house, car, office keys on their own ring in my backpack or pocket.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
FZ6 said:
Powdered graphite. A locksmith should have some.
yep, its good stuff. you can also find it homodepot in the lock aisle.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
I use a silicone product.

As for scratches, I have my bike covered in custom cut 3M Clear Urethane, yep even around the key hole, so no scratches. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts