Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to my scale, i've lost 2 pounds in the last 4 weeks but i can tell in my pants i have lost more than that and i can see it in my body as well. and i know it's not muscle gains.

the scale i am using now is a homedics sc-405 model and the numbers are all over the place. i can never get the same number twice in a row no matter what.

two of my recent head scratchers were:

last sunday i stepped on the scale and was surprised then stepped off to get my phone to snap a pic of the number and it went up 2 pounds:

last thursday i miraculously gained 7 pounds over night ... i went from _ _ 7 to _ _ 4

it's so hard to track my goal if i have no reliable tools.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You're rarely going to get the same two numbers in a row, and if you do, it's just a coincidence. Try weighing yourself first thing in the morning just after you pee, butt naked (or right after you shower and dry off). Even doing that, you're still going to be inconsistent just because of your body's varying water weight and other little factors.

If you want to track weight loss, or gain, you need to keep a daily log of how much you weigh for a few weeks at least then look at the trend. Or, only compare your weight a couple weeks at a time. It's like the stock market, if you pay attention just to the previous day it's going to look like it's going nowhere, but if you "zoom out" and look at it for 6 months, you will see that it lost or gained a good amount of value typically.

That being said, it should only swing a few pounds at most. I have an Ozeri scale that also measures body fat, water weight, and bone weight. I usually only pay attention to the weight value though, and seems to be consistent.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're rarely going to get the same two numbers in a row, and if you do, it's just a coincidence. Try weighing yourself first thing in the morning just after you pee, butt naked (or right after you shower and dry off). Even doing that, you're still going to be inconsistent just because of your body's varying water weight and other little factors.

If you want to track weight loss, or gain, you need to keep a daily log of how much you weigh for a few weeks at least then look at the trend. Or, only compare your weight a couple weeks at a time. It's like the stock market, if you pay attention just to the previous day it's going to look like it's going nowhere, but if you "zoom out" and look at it for 6 months, you will see that it lost or gained a good amount of value typically.

That being said, it should only swing a few pounds at most. I have an Ozeri scale that also measures body fat, water weight, and bone weight. I usually only pay attention to the weight value though, and seems to be consistent.
i agree with just about everything you said here except the numbers bit. your weight should be the same each time you step off and right back on the same scale. at the very worse within .2 or .4 pounds. but with this scale i have here it's not even that close. i can step on these scales six times and get six different numbers, even over a pound difference. with that variance, it's very hard to measure progress accurately and trust it when you're not progressing.

anyway, my girlfriend has a subscription to consumer reports and in feb 2010 they rated bathroom scales bottom line is avoid analog (dial) scales; don't even bother with the body fat/bmi scales; and the most accurate was the taylor 7506.

·
Registered
917 Posts
i agree with just about everything you said here except the numbers bit. your weight should be the same each time you step off and right back on the same scale. at the very worse within .2 or .4 pounds. but with this scale i have here it's not even that close. i can step on these scales six times and get six different numbers, even over a pound difference. with that variance, it's very hard to measure progress accurately and trust it when you're not progressing.
Right, if you're stepping off and back on and getting and not getting a reading within a half pound of the previous measurement then the scale is off.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
My scale is an el cheapo Health-o-meter that I bought at Walmart probably 3-4 years ago. It reads exactly the same weight if I get on and back off the scale several times in a row. I've tested it out by stepping on the scale and then getting back on while holding a 45lb weight plate and I was something like 44.8lbs heavier, which is close enough in my book.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My scale is an el cheapo Health-o-meter that I bought at Walmart probably 3-4 years ago. It reads exactly the same weight if I get on and back off the scale several times in a row. I've tested it out by stepping on the scale and then getting back on while holding a 45lb weight plate and I was something like 44.8lbs heavier, which is close enough in my book.
Digital or analog?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I have a $10 Walmart Healthometer. I step on and off it a few times and eventually it'll settle to one number. There's a lot of variables that could affect the electronics in measuring weight...metal temperatures, battery strength, maybe even humidity depending on the metal its made from. The proper way to weigh yourself though is once a week, or more days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts