Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking with a friend about this and the first thing I said was "THE SPEED!!!" but thats not true.
So, lets see what you guys think
"What makes a Sportbike a Sportbike"
I got an answere to preaty much all coments that will come up simply because there is allways something you could say "nope, not true". I still didn't find it out.
Lets get it going.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I think this question has been posted before, and if I remember correctly, no one could agree on what "sportbike" really stands for....

mine is labeled that, so thats what I ride... :confused: have no clear answer for ya...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats just what I mean... there doesn't seam to be a real answere

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is the African Twin for example... makes up preaty good speed (for its class), is a very agil dune bike and we all know its performance

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or any cross bike... even more... they r only for performance, althoug in the completly different direction, they r still just for performance

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah.. that would be NEARLY correct "Only build for top performance on road & track"
but then again, I guess a smaller bike (for example my bike :( ) whitch is still a sport bike, would loose against BIG chopper on the track (god no !) as its simple smaller and cheaper quality. The brakes would be probably better for example and so on.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hm... ok, u got me thinking about it now.
For now it looks like thats the answere.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you win rep. points from me

·
Registered
569 Posts
I call them as I see them.

I don't think a bike needs full plastic fairings to be a sport bike. I also don't think a bike has to be a race replica like a GSX-R 750 or a CBR1000RR to be defined as a sport bike.

To me, I think the term "sport bike" is a very loose definition covering a broad range of sub categories such as racing replica or sport tourer. I think the Z1000, SV650, and my CBR-XX are all sport bikes just like the R6 is a sport bike.

IMO, if the bike is built for performance riding enjoyment, it's a sport bike.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"performance riding enjoyment"
hm... so this rocket bikes which go in the desert and do extreme speeds on the streight line are sportbikes ???

Till now, Ebbs15 still has the lead

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
+1 mykl has it right

IMO i think a sport bike is everything mykl said plus the design and styling sort of speak
you see a harly its a "cruiser" you see a harly all hooked up and chopped its a "chopper" you see something fast sleek and areodynamic (sp) its a "crotch rocket" i dont think ther is a true definition of "sportbike" unlike the other types of motorcycles

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
+1 mykl does have it right

Scary thing for you guys to think about--The ST1X00 Pan European is a sport-tourer. I still have trouble finding anything sporty about it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Zyankaly said:
"performance riding enjoyment"
hm... so this rocket bikes which go in the desert and do extreme speeds on the streight line are sportbikes ???

Till now, Ebbs15 still has the lead
I don't know what bikes you're refering to with the extreme speeds in the desert in a straight line thing.

I keep a really loose definition of what I call a sport bike. It isn't worth getting bent out of shape over.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mykl said:
I don't know what bikes you're refering to with the extreme speeds in the desert in a straight line thing.

I keep a really loose definition of what I call a sport bike. It isn't worth getting bent out of shape over.
I think what he's talking about are the bikes they set land speed records with... out in the salt flats... but yeah who cares what you lable it... as long as you have fun ON it... right!? :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts