Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced both sprockets and chain about 8 months ago. The reason I did it was because the chain had reached it's max and the back sprocket teeth had formed into hook shapes instead of straight. So I replaced everything to start fresh.
Now the chain got loose again so I tightened it, no problem. But I noticed the back sprocket teeth have again formed into hooks???

What causes this?
Is it the loose chain, cheap parts (got it off ebay) or the way I shift???
If it is cheap parts, does anyone have any recommendations for a new sprocket set?
It is a 2001 EX500.
Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I thought is was too loose so I may have overcompensated.
It's weird because if I feel/measure the bottom of the chain it seems to fit the specs in the manual. But the top of the chain will seem like it is way too loose. I tried spinning the wheel to get different measurements and it's like this no matter how I do it.
Should I just get the bottom as I see it should be and then give it a bit more slack to compensate.
I can tell if it is too loose because it will clack as stated in the other chain thread. Thats what got my attention to begin with 8 months ago.

·
Registered
910 Posts
What rear sprocket are you using? Steel or aluminum? Aluminum sprockets will do this as normal but excessive wear. Hardened steel srocket teeth should not do this in 8 months. BTW, 8 months is how many miles for you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts