Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the chain on my '99 F4 and was wondering what kind of chain do I get? This is the first time I'm replacing the chain and I have no idea what the gearing is. How do I know how long of a chain I need? Do I just manually count the links and go by that? I was looking into the DID X-ring chains because they're supposed to wear better than just regular
O-ring chains. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dont you have a manual ?

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
If you're replacing the chain, you should also replace the sprockets. They wear together as a group, and not replacing the group as a whole will add unneeded wear to the new components.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Last time I bought a chain, I just told them what bike it was for and if the gearing was stock or how many teeth up or down the gearing was. They had a book that showed how many links the stock chain was for my bike and then just adjusted it for my gearing.
DID is the way to go.

My bikes.....

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
I like D.I.D. gold. And yes you should do sprockets at the same time. Word to the wise. Get the install figured out if you plan on doing it yourself. It's easy but a lot of folks seem to screw it up. I like sprocketcenter.com they can get any combo you can dream up. Even if you don't buy they are good at answering questions like, "Is a 520 conversion good for the street?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts