Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 plus hours

Votes: 17 34.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a FB posting where a young guy was prepping his bike for a "long ride". Checking fluids, air, etc... and posting on FB asking for advice on how what he might be missing.

Now, the "long ride" was 2.5 hrs each way. Figure maybe 150 miles maybe......

I don't really consider a 10 hour, 450 to 500 mile day all that "long", but that's me.

So what do you consider a long ride?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anything involving 20+ min of flat and straight immediately turns into a long ride mentally for me. Stop at a canyon, drink some water, stretch and then a few laps and I'm back in the grin game. No idea how anyone makes it through those iron butt rallies. I can do about 9 hours before my hips start to lock up which turns into leg and back problems rapidly and will last for the week. Not sure how those iron butt guys do it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My usual canyon run is roughly 2.5 to 3 hours and 120 miles with a quick 10 minute break at the top before jamming it back down and heading home.

Longest ride ever was Anaheim to Vegas slabbing it. figure about 300 miles each way. Took me about 5 hours to get there stopping every 100 miles to fill gas up and stretch my legs.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
More than 600 miles in a day just traveling is long, for me on my current bike. I can do 600-mile days one after the other, several in a row, so the overall ride doesn't feel too long as long as I can keep it paced well. For riding twisties and secondary roads, more than 400 miles in a day gets kind of long. In either case, that's 10 to 12 hours in the saddle.

I do want to do a documented 1000-mile day this summer, though, just to get an IBA plate for my Monster.

PhilB

Reactions: blackripley

·
Registered
205 Posts
So far the longest amount of riding in a day was clearwater to savannah then down to Ft. myers. By the end of that day I was exhausted even on the comfortable FZ6 and taking breaks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
nowadays, anything further than work is long. I don't get to ride NEAR as much as I used to when single. I would LOVE to ride more than 4 hrs continuous. my fave days were to start at 7am and go til 7-8pm with only breaks for piss, gas, & food (usually combined into one stop). otherwise, I was riding the Hills. oh yeah, I miss those days. I've only rode more than an hour, i think, 3 times since we moved back here from MO. very sad guy ova here.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I've done numerous 600-700 mile days on my GS500F. those were long.

So far longest I've done on the GSXR is about 150 in a day, all highway. So I don't yet know my limit for a days worth of riding on it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anything involving 20+ min of flat and straight immediately turns into a long ride mentally for me..
Yeah, that is a big factor for me too. Put me in some twisties having fun and I can go all day. Highway droning is tedious

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Don't you think it depends on what kind of riding as well as mileage. Superslab gets boring fast.

I will say that I personally need a break to stretch every hour or so or my knees and strangely the inside of my legs start to ache. I think that I exacerbate this by being a bit too tense on the bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I haven't found a helmet comfortable enough for that. 1 hour and my forehead hurts. 3 hours and I'm about ready to throw it in the ditch and ride back like a harely rider.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
It really depends on the terrain and weather conditions.

My ~12 hour/~450 mile ride from Florida to N Georgia didn't seem "long" and I could have gone on for a while once we got there. We were taking it easy (obviously), not in any rush, and stayed off interstates.

However, the 12 hour/300 mile ride from Suches, GA to the Gap and back was what I consider a long ride. It was almost entirely on back roads, mountain roads/switchbacks, and the last part was in the rain and through Wolf Pen Gap in the dark on wet roads. I was mentally and physically drained (but happy) when we got back to the cabins that night.

Where I am now is kind of like being at an open track day. I'm in the middle of a huge expanse of great roads and there's nothing stopping me from just riding and riding and riding. No real destination necessary and I haven't learned any routes well enough yet to predict when my next stop will be. Last Saturday I rode around for about an hour just looking for a gas station. Seemed like I just kept riding through more and more never-ending hills and valleys, and could not find enough civilization to produce a gas station. I finally had to stop and consult google maps to see which way to go. So just a few hours seems like a long time. I don't have to ride for an hour just to get to the good roads. They start as soon as I leave my driveway.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
2 hours one way is about my limit. The bike isn't built for it.

and some of you guys must have some pretty mild twisties to be going non stop for hundreds of miles.

My local run is 17 miles to the top and if you run flat out your legs will be jello before you get there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Also, are you making fun of the kid on FB for doing an inspection? Because I do that before every ride and I think everyone else should as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
On the busa, anything over 3 hours is a long ride. I consider 8 hours on the strom approaching a long ride. The GTS are at about 6 hours. Long legs makes for a shorter ride on sportier bikes for me.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
2 hours one way is about my limit. The bike isn't built for it.

and some of you guys must have some pretty mild twisties to be going non stop for hundreds of miles.

My local run is 17 miles to the top and if you run flat out your legs will be jello before you get there.

On one trip to the mountains in N GA, we rode for about 6 hours in twisties near the cabin and I could barely walk at the end of the day. That was the only time my tires ever balled up from street riding.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts