Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just woundering what the responce of SBN'a members on how to respond, act, etc. when stopped by a cop for a valid or (in your opinion) invalid reason.

I personally have not been stopped by the police on my bike, but in a car, I usually talk myself out of the ticket. I usually play dumb, not admitting, or denying what I was pulled over.
Cop: "I got you doing 12847329083742mph in a 15mph school zone."
Me: Was I really going that fast, wow, I'm sorry, I guess I was not paying attention, blah blah blah. "

But regardless, I am always polite, make the officer beleive that I am no threat. (tell them what I am doing, grabbing the registration in the glove box etc, and turn on my interior lights.)

I have friends that are total dicks and NEVER get out of a ticket...

Well, let's hear it, are you a dick to johnny law or polite and scared?

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Last three times I got pulled over, I quickly pulled over, and once I went to the cop as he started coming to me. I was just apologetic and told him I was sorry and it wont happen again, they just said slow down and be careful, one even said he had a ZX10.
One motorcycle cop read me the riot act, then let me go with a warning.
The worst ones are the motorcycle cops.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
if i'm in the wrong i'm polite and respectful but if i know without a doubt that i'm right then i'm usually not very polite and border on being rude....

had a LEO pull me over in my cage cause he wanted to know what my vaity plate meant and then tried to write me for not wearing my seatbelt... i was rude as hell telling him how he was unlawfully detaining me fr no valid reason... didn't get a ticket... :beer

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I take off my helmet and gloves, meet him as he walks up and shake his hand. that has worked for me with small town police, I get warnings. houston PD however has recently been in dire need of the money and will seek to make you pay dearly for even the smallest infractions, no matter how pleasant you are they will show absolutely no mercy to your pocketbook. the prix...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Being nice is the best way to go...remember, they basically hold your freedom in their hands. They can cuff you and take you in and hold you...even if they don't prefer any charges. They can pretty much do anything they want in the short term

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just got pulled yesterday, I knew I was speeding but I wasn't going more than 15 over. So as soon as he hit the siren I looked back and motioned I was pulling over on the next side street. As soon as I cut the engine off there were 3 more cops pulling in right behind us. I assume he thought I was going to run, we'll he told me I was doing 55 in a 35 and I told him that I knew I wasn't going that fast but did realize I was speeding (being polite). He also said; "We don't pass on the right around here." Funny thing is the truck infront of me wasn't going the speed limit, probably 25 or so. Anyway one of the other cops came up and was asking me a couple questions about where I live and some other dumb shit, then he started talking about bikes. I was being nice but at this point I was getting a little fed up with the whole situation. The other two cops were standing behind me on the opposite side of the bike from I was sitting, like I was gonna run or something.

Finally the cop writing the tickets :pisson comes back with two tickets and thanked me for my cooperation. Here is what I am thinking, I pull over immediatley and am polite and nice to the cops, yet I got no stern talk or warning just two f'ing tickets. Well being the dumbass I am after he thanked me for my cooperation, I said, "Next time you pull out behind me, I'm not pulling over." He shot me a evil look :asshole and I waved as I pulled off.

Most cops I talk to in my area don't bother with bikes, and the ones who even say they will pull a bike usually let you go with a warning if you pull over for them. Needlees to say I am still a little heated over the whole thing, but thankfully I have 2 good points on my DMV record, but now I am going to be -4. :angry

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I take off the Jacket, Helmet, Gloves, Key out of the ignition and on the gas tank and very polite. I was pulled over for 85 in a construction zone on my friends bike (I forgot to grab the registration/insurance as well) and pulled over for having a Race Slick on once. Got out of both.

On the Car side:

Keys on the dash dome light on hands out the window untill he approachs (lets them know you dont have a weapon in your hand sounds stupid but they really do appreciate it) I got a 3 am stop for one headlight, one taillight, no exhaust, 15 over, and I was talking to the guy and asked him what police academy he went to we ended up bullshitting for 2 hours on the side of the road but no ticket.

I am actually 2 for 30

2 tickets one was 10 over when I was sixteen, and the other was for not wearing my seat belt in a parking lot, but the bitch lied to the judge and said I was on the street.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Perfect thread. I got pulled over on Saturday, and to be completely honest, I have no idea how I'm not in Jail right now with my bike impounded and no license. My buddy and I were going a little bit fast Him on his RC51, me on my F4i. Aparently I didnt see the plane in the air, but when we came accross the 2 cops about 3 miles ahead waiting for us with their lights on, I knew I was in trouble. I immediately pulled over, turned off the bike took off my helmet and gloves and unziped my jacket. The Officer asked us if we were in a hurry. I said "not really officer" (playing completely dumb, however pointless it may be) He said "I looked like you were in a hurry back there. Th plane in the air just clocked you at ONE HUNDERED AND FIFTY ONE miles per hour". An immediate grin broke out on my face ( I dont know if it was from fear or pride :D ) I said "Officer, I dont think my bike goes that fast" (Ok, the speedo said I was going 161) :banana . Long story short. The cop was AMAZINGLY AWESOME :Bd , didnt arrest me, didnt impound my bike, didnt take my license, and didnt even write wreckeless op. I have the Ticket scaned if anyone can tell me how to post it. He said he loves to ride but his wife wont let him get a bike. HA! :Bd (BTW, by buddy got 146. . . I WIN!!)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm rpobably gonna get hell for this on here but, FTP!!!

I don't stop. :twofinger

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Perfect thread. I got pulled over on Saturday, and to be completely honest, I have no idea how I'm not in Jail right now with my bike impounded and no license. My buddy and I were going a little bit fast Him on his RC51, me on my F4i. Aparently I didnt see the plane in the air, but when we came accross the 2 cops about 3 miles ahead waiting for us with their lights on, I knew I was in trouble. I immediately pulled over, turned off the bike took off my helmet and gloves and unziped my jacket. The Officer asked us if we were in a hurry. I said "not really officer" (playing completely dumb, however pointless it may be) He said "I looked like you were in a hurry back there. Th plane in the air just clocked you at ONE HUNDERED AND FIFTY ONE miles per hour". An immediate grin broke out on my face ( I dont know if it was from fear or pride :D ) I said "Officer, I dont think my bike goes that fast" (Ok, the speedo said I was going 161) :banana . Long story short. The cop was AMAZINGLY AWESOME :Bd , didnt arrest me, didnt impound my bike, didnt take my license, and didnt even write wreckeless op. I have the Ticket scaned if anyone can tell me how to post it. He said he loves to ride but his wife wont let him get a bike. HA! :Bd (BTW, by buddy got 146. . . I WIN!!)

www.imageshack.us

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
The last time I got pulled over I was thinking.....

Call dad to bail me out.
Pick up bike from impound lot tomorrow.
Place bike in paper Monday.
Get laywer Monday.

Got a warning for doing an 80 mph wheelie.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My stops almost always start with:

"evening officer, what did I do?"

... and goes downhill from there.

officer: "Well, you ran that red light back there."
me: "Woah, are you sure? I'm sorry, I could have sworn it was yellow"
officer: "What do you think I'm lying?"
me: "No, I just thought it was yellow when I went into the intersection. I wasn't trying to beat it, I was barely doing 35."
officer: "So I'm a liar"
me: "Look, I'm just telling you what I saw. I guess you saw differently."

I have been let off of about 2 out of 3 possible tickets in my cage (let off 1 speeding, 1 missing documentation [left in house], written up for 1 speeding, and 0 out of about 4 possible tickets on my bike (1 missing documentation [was illegible soggy mess, rain], 1 speeding, 1 no inspection, 1 ran redlight [I did not!]).

I guess I act like a different person on the bike, or the bike itself has an influence on the cop.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i think to my self "ahhh christ". i am usually polite and respectful, but i have never been givin a warning. even though i get a ticket everytime, i will be respectful and polite.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Normally I'm polite and respectful. I will mirror the LEO's demenor towards me. If he's a dick right of the bat, and I know I'm getting a ticket, fuck em. But if he treats me with due respect, i'll do the same, ticket or not.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Pulled over 3 times...all in my car, first going 81 on a 65 (8pm,on the highway, just turned 16 and just got my license):Ticketed. Second time 60 in walmart parking lot(it was at 2am, no cars around I dont put anyones life in danger), didn't see him anywhere, until he raced behind me:Warning. :banana. Third time 48 in a 35mph(3am, clocked me going opposite direction, saw him trying to u-turn his beast of a crown vic), Around the same area as the second. I pulled into the exact same walmart racing to a parking spot, than sprinted into the store before he could turn around and pull into the lot. :neener

I was very polite the two times I got pulled over, never being a smart ass or anything. It really helps just to play it cool and respect the cop. The time I got pulled over at night I turned my interior light on, and my hands on the steering wheel assuring him I wasn't some lunatic going to pull a gun out or something.

I did this all in about a year and half of getting my license. Its been 2 and half years since I have ever been stopped or got a cops attention. I have changed my driving habits, and don't speed much unless its on the highway at night, in this case theres no one on the road and no cops either.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I should have mentioned earlier that I've had 16 speeding tickets 3 counts of reckless driving and I've been to driver re-training 5 times! all for cage incedents! :neener

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I've been pulled over about 8 times in 10 years of driving. Four tickets. A few verbal warnings, a few written warnings. I'm tactful and polite. I wouldn't categorize my behavior as scared though. Keys on the dash, dome light definately "on" if its dark out. Haven't been pulled over on two wheels yet (only 600 miles on my 600!)

Three out of four tickets were completely bogus, like 40 in a 35 (yes, local police) and 68 in a 65 (yes, I know, but it def. happened, state police). The other one was 70 in a 55 but at 2AM on a Wednesday morning (I categorize that as bogus too!)

I had a cop let me off going 137 in a 55 once. Really good story, deserves its on thread though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just take the ticket and go on my way. I know I did something wrong, and I know if I get caught I will have to pay the price. Well, not really pay the price, that's what my lawyer is for :D

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I dislike getting caught engaging in criminal activity. Kind of a hassle really. And I strongly disagree with many laws feeling they are arbitrary and unrealistic.
But breaking the law is just that and those laws apply to more than just me, so I can't argue. double the speed limit in a car will get you the same ticket as doing it on a bike.
I also don't bitch much against profiling, as the profile exists for a reason- common experience.
Although I think the cops have better things to do than hassle bikers, if I was all that upset with being followed, or having the helicopter spotlight us, etc- I could simply do something else with my time and stay off LEO's radar. I choose to look like I do, act like I do, and violate certain laws at will. Rather than complain about how others react to that, I could of course just conform to societal norms and never get hassled. I made the choice to look like a tattooed biker thug, ride bikes more often seen on one wheel than two, and generally live up to a stereotype.
SO I lay in the bed I make.

Now the the cop as an individual is where I draw a line. Last night a state cop was hanging out chatting with us (about 25 of us) and he was open, honest and went out of his way to tell people exactly what they can expect. He let one person know that having his license plate bent at a 90 degree angle so only a satellite could read it is justification to get hassled by itself. Essentially saying "I have a job to do- don't MAKE me have to direct my attention at you."
I totally respect that. OTH, some cops are compensating by having a badge and they embarrass their profession.
SO to me it's a matter of the individual cop, not the fact of being nabbed. Hey, if you don't want to get police attention, drive a Yugo, 5 under the speed limit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts