Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted early that I was going to look at an 2001 R6. I heard to look out for a 2nd gear problem. What does it feel like if it's got this problem. Is 2nd slimming or just not going in to gear....or some thing else?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
If second gear is going it will fall out of gear in second at high revs under load. It's an expensive repair, shift drum, forks, gears. Mine would slip out under full throttle and then re engage when I let off.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!!!!!

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
From the experience i've had of people I know having the problem, is that if it's a yamaha it's prone to the second gear problem.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's the thing, it's not "common" per say. It's more rider error than anything else. Get lazy with your 1-2 shift too often and you're going to have a problem. I have a 2001 with 25k on it, no problems...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
V8KILLR said:
I posted early that I was going to look at an 2001 R6. I heard to look out for a 2nd gear problem. What does it feel like if it's got this problem. Is 2nd slimming or just not going in to gear....or some thing else?

Thanks,
Jason

In fact, the 2nd gear problem is not a problem, just a weak tranny that gets screwed by a bad rider...

Seriously, you can check any motorcycle specific forum, no matter what model of bike, it will have a "2nd gear problem".

The thing is, 2nd gear is the longest throw and many lazy shifters don't get the gear all the way in, so it wears prematurely the engaging parts of the gears.

Symptoms, most of the time the bike will get out of 2nd gear, in extreme cases, 2nd gear will do nothing at all, like a neutral.

Seriously, even in the Katana forums they talk about the "2nd gear problem" and the Katana tranny is known to be built like a tank tranny.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
A buddy has a 2001 R1, a few weeks ago his 2nd gear went out. But he rides pretty stupidly also, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No doubt rider error contributes to the problem. Anything can be attributed to rider error. A common excuse for a poor design.

The old FZRs were known to have 2nd gear problems. I believe it's more common on Yamaha's, but that may just be because I own mostly Yamaha's. My CBR900 doesn't have problems with 2nd, but that's not quite a statistically significant study.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a 2001 R6 and the only time I ever have problems is if I am at like 10grand and above and don't slam it up. I have to hit that bad boy hard to make her go. But then again 2nd gear always is a hard slam.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
powerplant said:
No doubt rider error contributes to the problem. Anything can be attributed to rider error. A common excuse for a poor design.

The old FZRs were known to have 2nd gear problems. I believe it's more common on Yamaha's, but that may just be because I own mostly Yamaha's. My CBR900 doesn't have problems with 2nd, but that's not quite a statistically significant study.
The YZF600R has been known to have the infamous 2nd gear problem as well. Results in missed shifts from 1st to 2nd or falling out of gear at high revs as it gets worse.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
powerplant said:

Heck, check www.katriders.com And they are complaining about 2nd gear problems on Katanas...

Also I've seen people complaining aobut 2nd gear on ZX6-E and ZX6-Rs...

·
Registered
297 Posts
alot of yamahas have that problem. i just changed out my v-max tranny due to lost second gear, BUT on mine it was the shift drum and not the gear itself. the fork had some damage but not sure which caused the problem to the other. fork caused drum damage or visa-versa.I don't believe that it is due to lazy shifts tho. it is know that the first to second shift is the hardest on the bike, due to what u are doing, between those gears is when u are really pouring on the coals to be somewhat legal speed wise. second to third and on u are usually up near triple digits so u don't hit those gears as hard or often
if u look into the v-max boards it is also real bad. and not many noobs ride v-maxes. most have been riding for years and lots of old drag racers.
again just my opinion tho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts