Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did my track day, I was hitting around 268 km/h (indicated). The guys on litre bikes said they were hitting 299 km/h which is what they are limited to or something. What is the actual true top speed of these bikes? Also, is there anyway to remove the limiter to you can go over 300 on the straight at the track?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
add 10-15% error and your about right on.....

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I love metric in almost all things except my damn speedometer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
TheWraith said:
I love metric in almost all things except my damn speedometer.

same here.. i grew up in Jamaica (British English Country) and all we learned was metric, funny everything was metric except the Speedometer..

errr.. someone convert that for me before i blow a blood vessel..

what is it.. KM x 0.6? ... errr.. i am going giddy here

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
268kph = 166
299=185mph

·
Registered
569 Posts
My bike will go at around 180 mph.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I've had my '03 F4i up to 164mph when I ran out of road and had to power down. It had been inching up 1 mph slowly since about 155mph.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the digital speedos really off by that much? Has anyone actually done a test with a gps? I know the old analouge arn't all that accurate but I thought the newer digital ones were within 5% of your actual speed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
168mph!!! really stupid. and a very weird experiance.
On some bikes 168 mph really isn't all that bad. My XX has enough windscreen to tuck behind and is stable enough that running at top speed isn't frightening at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check out the motorcycle mags, I believe one of them (don't remember which) had a stock 2k4 ZX-10R clocked at around 185mph.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
cole said:
Are the digital speedos really off by that much? Has anyone actually done a test with a gps? I know the old analouge arn't all that accurate but I thought the newer digital ones were within 5% of your actual speed.
Yes, I used a GPS to calibrate my SpeedoHealer. To give you an idea...

At 35mph Indicated - I was going 33mph (GPS)
At 65mph Indicated - I was going 61mph (GPS)
At 100mph Indicated - I was going 93mph (GPS)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lok said:
Check out the motorcycle mags, I believe one of them (don't remember which) had a stock 2k4 ZX-10R clocked at around 185mph.
That would be fucking scary... race stiff suspension and almost no wind protection. I've taken the XX up to top speed several times because it really isn't so bad... but on my old RC51 anything over 160 is pretty brutal.

One thing to note about speedometer error is that it isn't necessarily the hardware on the bike that causes the error. The main thing is your rear tire circumference. If you're running a brand new OEM tire your speedometer should be very accurate. It's when you start using different tires where it starts to go wrong. Tire wear is also a significant contributing factor. The smaller it is the higher your speedo will read.

My XX's speedo is only 5 mph off at top speed with a new Avon 46ST mounted on the rear wheel.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Lok said:
Sportrider radar'd them all...

ZX10--188mph
R1--184mph
Gix 1000--180mph
CBR 1000--178mph

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi guys. I mean no offense, but this appears to be a squid type question. What difference does it make how fast the bike will go? We wonder why people who own sportbikes get a bad name. Unless you're planning on racing the bike on a closed track, top speed is irrelevant. I'm told my bike tops out at about 160mph... who cares? I've yet to see speed limit signs posting a limit of 160mph in Minnesota. Maybe in Wisconsin????

·
Registered
569 Posts
neutom72 said:
Hi guys. I mean no offense, but this appears to be a squid type question. What difference does it make how fast the bike will go? We wonder why people who own sportbikes get a bad name. Unless you're planning on racing the bike on a closed track, top speed is irrelevant. I'm told my bike tops out at about 160mph... who cares? I've yet to see speed limit signs posting a limit of 160mph in Minnesota. Maybe in Wisconsin????
My inner squid cares, and that's what matters.

Is taking your top motorcycle up to top speed on public roads stupid? Yep. But, it is possible to manage the risks well enough that it's no more dangerous (or even less) than riding in rush hour traffic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts