Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I see a great number of people harping that certain helmets (specifically Arai and Shoei) are the greatest and bestest helmets ever molded. But do any of you helmet supporters actually have unbiased (ill repeat my self: NON-MARKETING, UNBIASED) scientific proof that these helmets provide greater protection in a crash then other helmets? These helmets may indeed be more comfortable, which i agree, is a big factor when selecting a helmet, but that is not the debate i'm concerned with at the moment. Even when i look into the real science behind helmets, there are mixed debates as to which is better. Some studies have even shown that Snell and other "super-certified" helmets actually transmit a greater amount of force than non "super-certified" helmets. Has anyone actually done significant research as to which helmets are the best? If so, I am greatly interested in your findings, please post and we'll discuss the different aspects that truely make a helmet good.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
The best helmet is the one that fits your budget and your head.

Personally, I don't think helmets are better or worse than the next one, (provided the helmets are either DOT, SNELL or both). It all boils down to personal preference, (how it fits, features, cost).

·
old member
13,079 Posts
This question can't be answered totally. The certification tests are meant to approximate expected impacts in some way. There's no way that the exact same crash will happen to the same person wearing two different helmets, so we'll never really know. :)

For now, all we have are the certifications so get an approved helmet (I'm going to stay out of the DOT/SNELL/other debate) that fits properly according to your budget and desired level of comfort and convenience. The most important thing is to wear it (and other gear) every time you get on the bike.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I think all helmets do the job...if there were those that didn't and let heads get crushed we'd be seeing news stories and lawsuits left and right.

since we don't see that I'd say almost any helmet is fine :)

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Ventallation, weight, comfort and aerodynamics are some things that less expensive helmets to not feature. I specifically purchased a Shoei helmet just for this.

·
Club Racer
226 Posts
The best is the one YOU WEAR! There is a huge debate on the best testing method. The best helmet is the one that passes the test that matches your crash=figure that out and you are god.
Get one that fits and you like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just upgraded from an HJC to an Arai. To me, it's all about weight, as my last MRI showed totally blown discs at C4,5 & 6 in my worn out spine.

I had a shop put an Aria and a Shoei on a scale and the Aria won by a hair.

The Aria is noisier than the HJC, the chin bar is so close it's hard to get a gloved finger in to scratch an itch, the vent controls are tiny and hard to operate, but it feals like a giant weight has been taken off my shoulders and my back doesn't hurt anymore.

I tried on the HJC again, thought I'd ride with it one more time to do an A/B comparrison. It felt like a load of bricks on my head and my neck immediatly started to ache. I set it on the shelf where it will stay as decor.

Another point, and maybe more to this thread's intent... the less weight bolted to your noggin, the less chance you will suffer spinal injury due to the momentum of the helmet whipping around during a crash event.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you can't get a definitive answer from world-renowned scientists, what makes you think you're going to get an educated and definitive answer from "joe Schmo, internet know-it-all"?? haha, seriously though, I think comfort has a lot to do with it. The more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to wear it, even on those short rides around the block. Making it "safer" in a way. Also, the same goes with the graphics. I know I wouldn't not wear my helmet because quite frankly it looks cool as hell:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went from an HJC to Arai. However I purchased an Arai and returned it the next day. I traded to a black Shoei. I personally like the Shoei better than Arai. The Arai weighs less but is much louder and fits tighter. I went with a Shoei and I LOVE IT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts