Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I am just shy of 30,000 miles on my Z1000 and my chain hasn't formed a single kink. It isn't even stretching that bad. I haven't had to adjust it for tension in quite some time.

This is my 5th motorcycle and I haven't done anything different from all my other bikes, and yet this chain seems to be a super chain. Same chain lube. Same cleaning and lubing process.

My previous record was 23k miles on an OEM chain. But that chain was in bad shape when I replaced it.

I am just curious what others have achieved in chain life.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I got 20k out of the chain on my FZ1. It had just gotten a tight spot where an O ring tore and it started getting rusty. I don't know if the chain on my Aprilia is OEM, the front sprocket was changed by the PO to drop a tooth, don't know if he changed the rear and chain out too. But the bike is at 12k and the chain looks great.

I'm using Motul spray on chain lube every couple hundred miles, or after every ride in the rain. And a full cleaning whenever it looks grungy. I used to use PJ1 but the Motul is less messy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
18k on this bike. I had to replace it shortly after buying the bike. A dead spot or two and was stretched a good bit. Then again, the previous owner was a fucking bone head that I'd like to slap around and money says he didn't take care of that chain nearly as well as he should have.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I had 18k on my 500r when it got totaled and it looked brand new. Current chain on the F4i is about 13-15k not OEM though.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Had 30k or more on one. Always lubed it. No signs of aging. Havent kept a bike longer than that since that one. Like brakes and tires, chains can last longer than most people realize if its not abused. Proper chain adjustment is a good pm also.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Personally I think oem chains are the best...based on what ive read on many forums and threads. Results speak louder than theories from aftermarket chains for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Having very high mileage on a motorcycle chain is nothing to be proud of; you risk the chain snapping and punching a hole in the crankcase. Also a rusty chain can lead to stress cracking in the side-plates. Your expensive pride-and-joy is now only good for parts on Ebay. If an o or x ring chain is stretched beyond 1/4 inch total adjustment in the axle slot (from broken in new) then it is stretched out of spec and will damage the sprocket teeth.
-IMO it's a no-brainer; clean, lube and adjust the chain regularly and replace the chain and sprockets as a set after 20,000 miles or if it is stretched out of spec; only around $220 on the after-market.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
My sprockets weren't even ready to be changed when I got a new chain (though I changed all three at the same time). The chain wasn't dangerous at all. Just at the point in its life where it needed to be changed. If you take care of your chain, it can last a really long time.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
I had 28k miles on my oem busa chain when I sold it. The guy thought it was a brand new chain when he saw it. Otoh, I'm on my third chain on my vstrom at 50k miles. I ride that thing rain or shine every day back and forth to work so it's seen a rougher life though.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Having very high mileage on a motorcycle chain is nothing to be proud of; you risk the chain snapping and punching a hole in the crankcase. Also a rusty chain can lead to stress cracking in the side-plates. Your expensive pride-and-joy is now only good for parts on Ebay. If an o or x ring chain is stretched beyond 1/4 inch total adjustment in the axle slot (from broken in new) then it is stretched out of spec and will damage the sprocket teeth.
-IMO it's a no-brainer; clean, lube and adjust the chain regularly and replace the chain and sprockets as a set after 20,000 miles or if it is stretched out of spec; only around $220 on the after-market.
Nobody said that. Thats your assumption. Everyone else is assuming chains are changed when needed, and thats the point of this thread.

And btw when it stretches, you could also just tighten the slack like most people and like every owners manual says. But if youre more excited about fixing what isnt broke, more power to you. Some of us know what were talking about and arent just bsing cus we can.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my current chain, and it's like brand new. I haven't adjusted it even once yet. I put on a Scottoiler and went from a stock 525 to a 530 for longevity. I've so far gotten 15,000, 10,000, and 14,000 out of my previous chains, and they were all shot by the time I replaced them. I ride year round rain or shine, and I think the rain and especially the salt on the roads during the winter really wreaks havoc on the chains. So far, it appears the Scottoiler is extending the life though... Or maybe it was going with a 30 chain. Who knows.

I've been running my chains until they're worn out... But never past spec. I regularly check the 20 pitch length just to be safe.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had right about 34,000 on the chain for the 04 R1.On the flip side I only got about 9,000 out of the oe BMW chain.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
18k miles on my RR (from brand new) and that was with minimal maitenance from me due to noob habits. Could've easily gotten 20k+ if I maintained it properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts