Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best non syn oil for my car's and lawn mower snow blower and stuff like that? I like to keep oil on hand for oil changes and stuff like that. in my bike/atv i use amsoil and in my road race z 28 i use mobil 1,but i don't want to use syn in these other motor

·
Registered
181 Posts
When it comes to conventional motor oil I don't believe one is better then the other. As long as there is a SJ rating by the API on the bottle then it meets new car specifications. Personally I run Valvoline in my car but that's only because I get it free from my father. It's synthetic oil that really varies, and you said you use Amsoil which is by far the best. It's pure synthetic instead of a syn blend. But yea, next time your at the auto store or even Wal-Mart, check the oil bottles for the API rating. If they get stamped with the SJ rating then they passed.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Check the owner's manual for everything and see what it says. Some mowers require 30weight some required 10w-30.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just don't use Pensoil, it causes buildup. I would say use a good name like valvoline--just there basic oil.

Or as my pops says, "I've been using this stuff for 20 years" He uses Kendall GT oil--it is really cheap and is a nice pure, quality oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about quaker state? castrol GTX? also does any one have any articals I could read on this subject? a artical about penzoil sludgeing up? thanks

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I'd avoid Quaker State and Pennzoil. We use Pennzoil at work...(Tire Kingdom).... Half of us could get (with the right manager) free oil changes if we wanted to, but we refuse to put that oil and those spray-painted base-model Fram filters on our vehicles. My 5.0 only got Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter, and my beater gets high-mileage Valvoline and a Bosch filter....or Motorcraft when it's stocked.

As far as conventionals, I've always run Castrol GTX or Valvoline personally. And for synthetics I use Mobil 1 or Valvoline, usually Mobil 1.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Castrol GTX is still a great motor oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try "Royal Purple" I run it in my dirt bike and in my cars it is a little expensive but it is well worth it. You wont believe how much easer start up is and how much better it will run. Take my word for it. It runs about $7 a quart. Your engines will run about 15 degrees cooler as well. They also make a addative for your radiator that claims to run it another 15 degrees cooler It is called "Purple Ice" great products be sure to check them out!

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Royal Purple is a synthetic. It is very good, but he wants to know about non-synthetic oils.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Mobil 1. it's been around longer than most of the others combined.

I use it in all my vehicles AFTER they have a good 5,000+ on them on normal good quality oil. Thats the most important thing to remember when using a good syn oil. It lubricates too good to allow the engine to break in.

After 25,000 miles in the car (10,000 in my bike) I drain it and save it in the old bottles to use it in the lawnmower and other stationary engined devices I have. (generator which has 20,000+ hours on it and still doesnt use a drop of oil!, and a 8HP air compressor.)

Synthetic oil only turns black, it doesn't lose any of it's lubrication qualities. If it's been used in a decent engine with a good filter there is really no need ever to change the oil, just the filter. Why muck up the enviorment needlessly just because you don't like the color of your oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts