Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of stabilization (no shaky video) and quality(color/resolution). HD would be nice. I bought a Cannon which shoots EXCELLENT close up shots of the bikes parked and beautiful video of bikes going by while you stand, BUT and it's a BIG BUT...turn on the engine or pan the camera too fast and show's over. You would not recognize yourself in the video..seriously. EVEN at IDLE its bad! I've seen a wave pattern where the footage seems to move like water and all kinds of garbage not suitable for ANY medium. Cellphone video from 2 years ago looks WAY better overall.

Helmet cam is the best I know of, but the point is what to do for the higher end shots? What to use for higher quality than typical helmet cam? For zooming in and things like that. Not to mention the single unit convenience of a camcorder.

Forgot to mention...dealing with HD files is a HASSLE too! Most software won't touch it and I heard editing is SUPER slow. HD does not sound like it's ready for consumer level production yet, which is fine as I'm used to rendering effects overnight, but I've gotten lazy and spoiled so I'm taping into the cosumer convenience market.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want to mount it onto your tank, you'll want to stay away from a camcorder that has a HDD. It has too many moving parts to be able to handle the vibration. DVD/miniDV might work a little bit better, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is to go with a camcorder that writes video to some sort of flash memory (zero moving parts). Panasonic and Sony both have HD camcorders that write to SD and ProDUO memory cards (respectively). JVC also has a HD camcorder that has a built in HDD (60GB I believe) and can write to SD memory.

They only downsides are recording time and cost. The length of video you can record will be limited to the size of the memory card you buy (8GB + memory cards can get pricey, but they are coming out with 16/32GB memory cards in the near future so that should drive down prices later on) and the camcorders themselves tend to run a bit more than the other media types.

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
POV-1

sweetness

Disclaimer: I work for Touratech, but you don't have to buy this set up from us, it's available elsewhere. But it is a seriously nice piece of kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To give you a reference to recording times, HD video tends to run at 13GB per hour at standard compression. So figure 20-25ish minutes per 8GB card. You can probably mess around with the video quality and resolution to sacrifice video quality to get longer recording times.

Also, if you want good stabilization, get a camcorder that has an OPTICAL image stabilizer. The digital one is basically useless and does nothing. I think Panasonic has the best OIS out at the moment and they usually include it in most if not all of their models.

Sorry for the long posts, I worked at Best Buy selling cameras/camcorders for over two years so it's kinda my thing lol.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
POV-1

sweetness

Disclaimer: I work for Touratech, but you don't have to buy this set up from us, it's available elsewhere. But it is a seriously nice piece of kit.
In the latest Rider they had tested that and they liked it. Will it work with 16GB SDHC cards with 15/mbs write speeds? (That is what I have already).

Also can you post up some sample videos from one? And second if people like it from here can you arrange a good buy on some???

Thank you...I need one for spring so maybe this be my Christmas or Birthday present. :)

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Here is that article from Rider:
http://www.cowrw.com/pdf/video.pdf

I owned the ATC2K but it kept randomly shutting off so I took it back and returned it, however I see on the site they have a ATC3K now.

Here is a test video from the unit I had:
Flint MI.mpg

ATC2K differant mounting point I tried:
Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Test 1

This one was done with the wifes new Camera "Panasonic DMC-FZ18", note I used my GPS RAM mount for these test:
126 to Deckers, CO

Another one with the DMZ-FZ18:
US24 East to Colorado Springs

And another:
GofG.mov

PS: I fixed the rattle of a piece of plastic...LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can't help you with an HD cam, but I love my set up.

I shot this Crystal River, and yes, that's our favorite resident moderator acalliste.

with this Canon ZR500

mounted with this Mantis Mount Pictures

As epshtielsl said, you want to stay away from HDD or DVD cameras. Motorcycles vibrate entirely too much for either media. MiniDV or solid state camcorders only. As you can see from the vid, bike vibration and road bumps barely show up at all in the picture, and the quality IMHO is pretty decent, while keeping files sizes small enough to make working with them easy business.

I can get 45min to and an hour and a half on one tape depending on the quality I want, but, even with an extra battery, I can usually only get about 2 hours total of shooting time out of them.

Hope this helps

Josh

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Optical no good for bikes.

We are hearing time and time again that OIS sucks for bikes and rocks for everything else. I know from my professional days Optical is/was the way to go for zoom and stabilization. Digital reduces quality, but for bikes I hear optical can't keep up.

Also, if you want good stabilization, get a camcorder that has an OPTICAL image stabilizer. The digital one is basically useless and does nothing. I think Panasonic has the best OIS out at the moment and they usually include it in most if not all of their models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Digital image stabilization systems just move around the portion of the sensor that is being used in order to counter act the movement of the device. This tends to be a bit laggy to come on and not provide the same level of stabilization as OIS. Not sure about sustained vibrations though (ie motorcycle tanks). I've never really had someone ask me what a good tank cam would be. I just assumed that the normally superior OIS system would be better anyways, as it shifts around the glass elements in the lens itself and has instant stabilization. Again, I'm not sure how it would hold up when under constant vibration though.

The ZR500 mentioned above has a digital image stabilizer and he said the videos turned out great (I can't view youtube at work) so I would think the digital would suffice. If anyone has a camcorder with an OIS for comparison purposes that would be awesome as I am looking into getting a camcorder for this same purpose.

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OIS and CMOS sucks for bikes??

Anyone other than I? My Cannon has OIS and is supposed to be one of the best ones out there(I heard it's Cannon tech). Not even close to the smoothness of my old digital stabilization cams. Also note that these new CMOS chips are supposedly a problem for us as well. My camera has both OIS and CMOS, so I guess my results verify the rumors...maybe?

If anyone has a camcorder with an OIS for comparison purposes that would be awesome as I am looking into getting a camcorder for this same purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts