Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about these but I have no idea.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Its the timing rotor thats on the end of the crankshaft. As it spins makes the pickup coils send a signal to ignition box firing the spark plugs. With an aftermarket rotor some of them have the keyway offset by like 5 degrees or so to advance the ignition timing. Others are adjustable with an inner and outer piece that move independently to allow for precise adjustment instead of just fixed adjustment..

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Actually, an ignition advancer is a device, either mechanical (using centrifugal weights) or electronic (using an rpm pickup) that changes the ignition timing (to be more advanced) as rpm's increase. All bikes have them.

The things that are sold as ignition advancers are timing plates that change the range of advance by a fixed amount so the timing is always, say 4 degrees, more advanced.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Semantics. Both you and I know what he is talking about.. My description is accurate enough for what he needed to know. When is the last time you saw a centrifugal advancer on a motorcycle??? As far as an electronic ignition advancer I dont belive thats really true either. Most ignition timing curves are fixed into either the ingitor box or a true ECU on a fuel injection bike. Never seen a stand alone electronic "ignition advancer"...

·
Void where prohibited
248 Posts
Well for F3's they basically increase mid range/ throttle response, not necessarily total HP.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Semantics. Both you and I know what he is talking about.. My description is accurate enough for what he needed to know. When is the last time you saw a centrifugal advancer on a motorcycle??? As far as an electronic ignition advancer I dont belive thats really true either. Most ignition timing curves are fixed into either the ingitor box or a true ECU on a fuel injection bike. Never seen a stand alone electronic "ignition advancer"...
1. Didn't mean to get under your skin. 2. The late 80s although I'm sure there were some engines that had them well into the 90s. 3. My point was that it was based on rpm, not whether it was integrated into the ECU or not. But on carb'd bikes, you won't find an ECU, just an ignition control box.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
jim schmidt said:
1. Didn't mean to get under your skin. 2. The late 80s although I'm sure there were some engines that had them well into the 90s. 3. My point was that it was based on rpm, not whether it was integrated into the ECU or not. But on carb'd bikes, you won't find an ECU, just an ignition control box.

Oh you didn't But knowing there are very very few 80's sportbikes around anymore I figured he was talking about something more late model. In that context his use of the word "ignition advancer" was going to be the timing rotor was my point. And yes I know carb'd bikes don't have a an ECU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts