Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never technically ridden a motorcycle but i would really love to own one. I would like one because of the mileage and the fun. But i don't know what would be a good bike to buy for my first. Note, at this point in time a am broke as a joke but planning on saving money. Also i weigh around 190 at this point. I've been told that 600 would be good for my weight and 250 would be much too small.
Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
why is it considered to small for you? do you expect to make the bike crumble with your weight? it's got more than enough power to learn on. i'm 210 and those lil 250's are plenty.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I've been told a 250 is too small for my size. i weigh 190 or so. Are you sure?
Yep. I'm 185. It's got plenty of getup and go, even with a passenger on the back. I can attest to that. Best beginner bike, bar none. Unless you weigh 250+lbs, get the 250.

The Pre-'08's are cheap as hell too. I paid $1100 for mine, and sold it for $1000

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Check out the 0-60 for a Ninja 250R, its around 5.75 seconds. Then look at some cars that are around that range:

2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster 0-60 mph 5.6sec
2011 Ford Mustang 0-60 mph 5.3sec
2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan 0-60 mph 6.0sec
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 0-60 mph 11.3sec

Now riddle me this, batman: When was the last time you heard somebody accuse those of being dangerous because they'll be too slow to keep up with traffic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why is it considered to small for you? do you expect to make the bike crumble with your weight? it's got more than enough power to learn on. i'm 210 and those lil 250's are plenty.
Well I've been told that it can make the bike top heavy which would be dangerous during turning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might already be too late guys... looks like he got a CBR600 Maybe he just needs validation for his poor choice?
Well no need to down someone's bike man. but no i don't own any bike at all. i just put that down because i didnt' see a way to not put anything. My friend own's one so its what came to mind first.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I run 5 seconds off the pace at the track in A group on my 250 vs 1198, 1098, 1000, 848, 675, 650, 600. Fully Geared up, I weigh over 200 lbs.

Reactions: bassjones

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well no need to down someone's bike man. but no i don't own any bike at all. i just put that down because i didnt' see a way to not put anything. My friend own's one so its what came to mind first.
Not "downing" anything dude. Saw that you posted a CBR600 as your sportbike thus the remark. You should have stated that initially. You'd be surprised how many newbies have come here asking for "advice" as to their first bike only to disregard what knowledgeable members recommend because they just wanted validation or they were hoping that they would get the okay to go ahead and get that Super Sport regardless of their absolute lack of proficiency.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure how many people you know who ride, but if you check out any motorcycle board the vast majority of members will recommend a 250cc or 500cc as a first bike. Just think about that for a minute if an overwhelming majority of experienced riders suggest a 250/500cc as a first bike why discount that advice and take the word of a small minority?

Chances are the people recommended the smaller bike can ride circles around the guys telling you 190lbs. is too much for a 250.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts