Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states it, what the hell is going on here? Things get busy for me with race season kicking and this place turns into internet nazi fiesta?

I see the cubby hole is closed. Nothing to unusual about that as most of us guys here cant keep the mouth zipped or just try to be semi intelligent about things that shouldnt be blasted everywhere.

Then today I sign on and see some crazy thread directed at jap bike. Since when has it been a crime to have a ranking system here? As long as you dont say anything bad about someone, whats the problem? I dont think I have seen any female be malicious to a male here since I joined this site.

Is this what the site is coming to?

I see that the political thread is still open and yet that is the place where the most hostility has taken place.

I also cant say for sure as I didnt witness the action in person but based on the thread that was closed in the womens section. Are some of the moderators taking the job a bit too seriously? Are we not in a country of freedom to have opinions? Whats next? Previously made forms to communicate via this web space? Will I have to fill out a form to say something or answer a question?

I am not entirely sure I like where this is heading these days. I remember coming here because this place had so much variety and was more like a huge group of your friends hanging out. It doesnt have the same feel to it anymore.

I think I will have to wait this one out and see how things pan out. I dont feel to confident in what the future holds here though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
hybrid said:
Are we not in a country of freedom to have opinions? Whats next? Previously made forms to communicate via this web space? Will I have to fill out a form to say something or answer a question?
My understanding is... while people make contributions to this community.. it is still privately owned.. and the private owner still has the right to run/use this space as he/she sees fit.

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
The cubby hole was closed in order to keep SBN up and running. Our provider noticed someone had posted a thread in the cubby hole containing ways to hack other websites. This violates the contract that Fred has with our provider. They were going to shut us down completely. Fred handled it professionally and was forced to remove the cubby hole and the links it contained. If not, the entire site would be gone not just the cubby whole. Politics has remained open for now. It has been discussed for closure but we realized political threads would only spill over into the Open Forum.

I'm well aware of the situation with japbike and the thread in womens forum. It's a rare instance where finding or proving who was right or wrong won't happen. The thread that was in question may not have been questionable to some and may have to others. It's a no win situation but the decision was made by a staff member and that stands. We'll forget about it tomorrow I'm sure.

If you feel SBN is overmoderated or undermoderated please let us know. Our goal is to keep SBN up and running freely and to best suit the majority. This means keeping the peace, keeping it SFW where applicable, organizing threads, free from trolls, free from spam and other advertising. We don't try to pick on anyone and all situations are usually discussed behind the scenes. We do a lot that isn't seen in public. If we didn't moderate SBN, you'd really hate it, trust me. It would be filled with trolls, flames, troublemakers, and spam up the ass. It would become a childish site. I still welcome friendly debates and disagreements. We are the best pure sportbike website on the net. It is because of Fred, the staff, and every (well almost every) member on it. Remember, this is indeed a site owned by Fred. What costs are not covered by our sponsors are paid for by Fred from his own pocket. We are all guests here. We do appreciate all the $$$ help from our SBN Contributors.

This thread will not be locked unless Fred sees to it. Feel free to voice your opinion as we are not "nazis".

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jason said:
The cubby hole was closed in order to keep SBN up and running. Our provider noticed someone had posted a thread in the cubby hole containing ways to hack other websites. This violates the contract that Fred has with our provider. They were going to shut us down completely. Fred handled it professionally and was forced to remove the cubby whole and the links it contained. If not, the entire site would be gone not just the cubby whole. Politics has remained open for now. It has been discussed for closure but we realized political threads would only spill over into the Open Forum.

I'm well aware of the situation with japbike and the thread in womens forum. It's a rare instance where finding or proving who was right or wrong won't happen. The thread that was in question may not have been questionable to some and may have to others. It's a no win situation but the decision was made by a staff member and that stands. We'll forget about it tomorrow I'm sure.

If you feel SBN is overmoderated or undermoderated please let us know. Our goal is to keep SBN up and running freely and to best suit the majority. This means keeping the peace, keeping it SFW where applicable, free from trolls, free from spam and other advertising. We don't try to pick on anyone and all situations are usually discussed behind the scenes. We do a lot that isn't seen in public. If we didn't moderate SBN, you'd really hate it, trust me. It would be filled with trolls, flames, troublemakers, and spam up the ass. It would become a childish site. I still welcome friendly debates and disagreements. We are the best pure sportbike website on the net. It is because of Fred, the staff, and every (well almost every) member on it. Remember, this is indeed a site owned by Fred. What costs are not covered by our sponsors are paid for by Fred from his own pocket. We are all guests here. We do appreciate all the $$$ help from our SBN Contributors.

This thread will not be locked unless Fred sees to it. Feel free to voice your opinion as we are not "nazis".
Pretty much sums it up........Good post Jason. :cheers

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
That was a good post Jason. You guys really do a good job with keeping this site flowing. And as always "Thanks Fred!!!!! You rock"...oh yeah, you too Ducman! :cheers
If I don't find something informative or entertaining on here every time I log in, I just ain't lookin hard enough.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
+1 to Jason's post as well.

I think all the mods/supermods/admin people are always open to hear suggestions, gripes, positives about the sites. It's one reason we are all here. To help improve the site, to continue making it the best damn sportbike site out there. If a fellow SBN'er has an issue with another member, staff, or thread PM the forum mod or any mod. Like Jason mentioned almost all issues are discussed before a decison is made.

With that, if anyone has any issues, i'm always open to hearing them :dblthumb

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
+1 even when you guys dont' see us, we are out reading and keeping up with the site goings on. we have to be. we have how many members? and active threads?

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
GSXRGUY said:
Pretty much sums it up........Good post Jason. :cheers

+1 :dblthumb Keep up the good work guys!

FloridaMike said:
My understanding is... while people make contributions to this community.. it is still privately owned.. and the private owner still has the right to run/use this space as he/she sees fit.
FloridaMike is dead on. People really don't understand what free speech is, and what it isn't. This is a private site, and the private owner has the right to do with it whatever he sees fit (within the guidelines set up by the provider, the ultimate owner). That right overrides everyone else's "right" to free speech on this forum.

·
The Master Fabricator!!!!
1,687 Posts
silent_R1 said:
+1 even when you guys dont' see us, we are out reading and keeping up with the site goings on. we have to be. we have how many members? and active threads?

+50 some people say I am MIA a lot, :bs I lurk and check things out and if something is out of place I take care of buisness. Just hasnt been too much to reply too, but I am doing that more so people know im watching them LOL:cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I am just on the site to leg-hump :lol j/k I don't want to be known as a "leg-humping nazi mod".

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
hybrid said:
As the title states it, what the hell is going on here? Things get busy for me with race season kicking and this place turns into internet nazi fiesta?

I see the cubby hole is closed. Nothing to unusual about that as most of us guys here cant keep the mouth zipped or just try to be semi intelligent about things that shouldnt be blasted everywhere.

Then today I sign on and see some crazy thread directed at jap bike. Since when has it been a crime to have a ranking system here? As long as you dont say anything bad about someone, whats the problem? I dont think I have seen any female be malicious to a male here since I joined this site.

Is this what the site is coming to?

I see that the political thread is still open and yet that is the place where the most hostility has taken place.

I also cant say for sure as I didnt witness the action in person but based on the thread that was closed in the womens section. Are some of the moderators taking the job a bit too seriously? Are we not in a country of freedom to have opinions? Whats next? Previously made forms to communicate via this web space? Will I have to fill out a form to say something or answer a question?

I am not entirely sure I like where this is heading these days. I remember coming here because this place had so much variety and was more like a huge group of your friends hanging out. It doesnt have the same feel to it anymore.

I think I will have to wait this one out and see how things pan out. I dont feel to confident in what the future holds here though.
I think its called "burn out syndrome" With so many topics at hand, and the most argumentative topic still afloat (politics section) what else will keep SBN floating?
I mean if you remove the politics section as well as start banning people, soon this site would be moot, its the arguementative topics that keep the hits coming to this site, more hits, the better for SBN, what better way to get hits than to make people stare at a screen and type opinions and compare penis size?.
If you look at the topics, pretty soon were going to be at "what brand of toilet paper do you use", like maturity and age, we slowly stray away from the basic fundamentals that once brought everyone together....Sportbikes.
Can anyone say what exactly did this website start with? I want to hope that in the beginning it was all 100% sportbike related.
Oh well, toot the root, I will still help out, until we get to the Toilet paper part...in which I prefer the Scott 1000 sheet rolls...they rock!

At the end, there are still some good topics, and even one moderator created a "name this quote" thread, in which like all threads, someone has to fuck it up or at least attempt to.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
well i for one don't agree with the locking of threads simply because it might hurt someones feelings, if that's the case then all the threads that follow along those lines or that let people rank or vote for their preferences should also be locked.....

i do feel that sometimes the mods forget to be objective....but overall they do an awesome job...:dblthumb
otherwise this place rocks....:neener

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Mod's do a good job, they aren't asses or anything and keep the site and members in check

1 - 20 of 69 Posts