Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my E350 topcase and rack, the Monolock plate was backordered but they shipped when they said they would... the rack was a bear to install. I plan on writing to Givi to let them know that their fitment kit for F3s stinks...

Anyway, it's on and I love it. BUT why the 6lb weight limit?? It looks sturdy as hell, and I see they sell a backrest for the case so a pillion could lean against it - for hundreds of miles, no? So I would think even a light little pillion would be putting more pressure on the case than 6lbs' worth. I looked around and mostly all of the cases have the same limit. What gives?

Can I safely stow my camera gear and some tools (about 15-20lbs) on my next trip? Are there some weak points I should look at and maybe reinforce?

Pics later :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
It has more to do with product liability. If you overload the topbox it can change the handling of your bike. Sometimes quite dramatically. So now if you have an incident they are less likely to be liable.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I rode home with it (left the box at work yesterday as I couldn't carry it without the rack), and the handling IS a little different. It's pretty windy out here so hard to tell on the highway, but when pulling up at a gas station the box made its presence felt some.

Anyway, some pics as promised:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
fotocycle said:
BUT why the 6lb weight limit?? It looks sturdy as hell
When I was doing the research for my GIVI case I was told that MONOLOCK CASES are more flimsy, therefore they are much cheaper. They are made for scooters mostly and have a lighter carrying weight capacity. I got a MONOKEY CASE instead, which allows me to carry 20 lbs. of stuff.

Looks good BTW :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIVID1 said:
When I was doing the research for my GIVI case I was told that MONOLOCK CASES are more flimsy, therefore they are much cheaper. They are made for scooters mostly and have a lighter carrying weight capacity. I got a MONOKEY CASE instead, which allows me to carry 20 lbs. of stuff.

Looks good BTW :dblthumb
Thanks, VIVID...

Yargghhh, I shoulda asked about the differences, though. This one seemed to be just the right size.... Well I could always sell it and get me a monokey, I have the plate...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
It looks good Foto! :dblthumb Have you ever looked into saddle bags or and soft cover bags?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Chiny, fancy meeting you here in the ST forum! :cheers

I have a pair of soft Teknic saddlebags, and a Nelson-Rigg tailbag... the problem with these is that though they can be made fairly waterproof, they're not lockable and anyway anyone can just take them off and walk away with them.

I wanted something a little more theft-proof (if there is such a thing when it comes to storage on a bike) and also easier to take with me to motels when I'm out of town. No straps or bungees to mess with on the Givi, just a key and a button and all my gear comes with me.

But I've no problem selling the box and getting something sturdier if need be. I mainly bought it for my camera gear, and that's a good 20 lbs if I'm taking everything. (And I wouldn't for a trip, but I might for a shoot with someone.)

EDIT: I just looked up the Monokey cases... damn they sure do jump in price!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts