Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm definitely looking for a dual sport. I'm torn between a b***** one (DR650-sized) or a smaller one (XT225-sized). But either way, there's no point in getting a CRF450, when I have TW200 talent. :)
find a barely-legal dualsport, not a thunderpig DR/XL/KRL/etc.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Rear sets for the 250(already got them)
I am going to fabricate some SV body work for the 250, got it for free from another guy that didnt want it taking up space in his garage. TIRES.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I need to replace my chain and sprockets. Other than that, i don't plan on doing shit to it except ride it.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
PhilB,

like they came stock with the "street" version of the Monster? (can't remember if that was the name)

I've been trying to convince myself a monster would make a fine commuter bike to go with the 916, but if I can't put any proper bags on it, I'm not believing myself completely :D

--

On topic: we are buying a 1975 CB500T. It's been travelling from New York to the end of the world (here) for the last 1.5 years, ridden by a brave man. We will try and restore it/make it slightly into a cafe racer of sorts. Nothing too extreme or complex, but trying to bring back to youth a nice bike.

Have no money for 916 mods :) just maintenance and swapping rotten plastic/rubber parts that were way past their time.
No, not the bags from the "City" Monster. Those were soft bags on a mounting frame. These are actual aftermarket hardbags on a bolt-on frame.

PhilB

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
find a barely-legal dualsport, not a thunderpig DR/XL/KRL/etc.
until the suspension bottoms out or all 400lbs of pig comes crashing down on one of those old knees.
I had a KLR650 and it was a good bike, but this G650X is a beast! Over 100 pounds lighter and 15-18 more horsepower.

If you aren't looking at long road commutes a XT250, KLX250S, or CRF250L would be plenty. The DR-Z400S is a solid choice. The WR250 is the top of the Japanese 250's but costs more then the DR-Z.

I'd look at a Husqvarna TE310 if I was looking for a light dual sport personally.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm hoping to ride the Trans Taiga Road (~1000 miles of gravel road) late spring/early summer... So I'll be swapping my clip-ons for handlebars, fabbing up some kind of skip plate and radiator guard, possibly playing with my suspension, mounting a couple Rotopax mounts on my rear seat luggage rack, and buying some light knobbies for the trip (not to be mounted until right before I leave though).

I think I should've just skipped the SV and bought a Vstrom!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I had a 510 Husky. Lots and lots of work.
The new Testarossa (red head) motored Husky's are supposed to be more reliable. There is always the new KTM 350.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Chain and sprockets, changing the flame paint scheme back to the original orange, paint wheels black, brake lights/turn signals for the givi case and full fluid flush.

No clue when im gona do this tho... Weather has been really nice down here. Lol

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Some states won't plate the XR650R, so you have to get the heavier XR650L. Which is no better or worse then a DR650 or the slightly heavier, but water cooled KLR650.

The new KTM 500EXC runs circles around the Japanese 650's. As does the BMW G650X, Husqvarna TE630, Husaberg FE570 and the older KTM LC4 based 625. If you really want an insane dual sport the aprilia RXV 5.5 makes 70hp at the rear wheel and weighs around 320lbs wet.

For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

If he wants lighter, then back to what I posted about the 250's.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
...For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I have no need for a bad ass off road bike because I'm not going to be jumping triples with it. Having a barely legal offroad bike for what I want to do, makes as much sense as buying a Hayabusa to go to Starbucks. Sure, a lot of people do it, but it's not for me.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Some states won't plate the XR650R, so you have to get the heavier XR650L. Which is no better or worse then a DR650 or the slightly heavier, but water cooled KLR650.

The new KTM 500EXC runs circles around the Japanese 650's. As does the BMW G650X, Husqvarna TE630, Husaberg FE570 and the older KTM LC4 based 625. If you really want an insane dual sport the aprilia RXV 5.5 makes 70hp at the rear wheel and weighs around 320lbs wet.

For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

Several generations behind in what, bold new graphics? They're all low-tech and ungainly. The other models you've mentioned have their own problems with price, availability, parts, and reliability (check out all the SXV recalls, service bulletins, and horror stories).
I'd check into plating an R in your state. You can now find very clean examples for $2500 or less and with the savings over purchasing a DRZ, KTM, etc, you have quite the budget for improvements. It's only drawbacks are they're kick-only (unless you opt for an e-start kick) and require a man to ride them.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The new F4i, simple. That ridiculous fender will be replaced with a Hot Bodies undertail. WTF was Honda thinking??

The E, not so simple. Though I've put a ton of time and $$ restoring and updating it, it is a 20yr old bike with just over 40k on the clock. Selling it, I'd lose my ass. Plus, to be honest, I'd really hate to see it go. Sooo, I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a dedicated trackbike.

At a hair under 500lbs, it'll be considerably slower than pretty much everything else out there, but having never done a trackday, I dont think the bike with will the limiting factor.:eek:nfloor

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Several generations behind in what, bold new graphics? They're all low-tech and ungainly. The other models you've mentioned have their own problems with price, availability, parts, and reliability (check out all the SXV recalls, service bulletins, and horror stories).
I'd check into plating an R in your state. You can now find very clean examples for $2500 or less and with the savings over purchasing a DRZ, KTM, etc, you have quite the budget for improvements. It's only drawbacks are they're kick-only (unless you opt for an e-start kick) and require a man to ride them.
I've ridden a XR and it was no better then my KLR. It was a tad lighter. As far as the other drawbacks I have dealers close by for all brands except Husaberg. And since I'm more then enough of a man, working on a bike doesn't scare me. I don't need to run to a dealer for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've ridden a XR and it was no better then my KLR. It was a tad lighter. As far as the other drawbacks I have dealers close by for all brands except Husaberg. And since I'm more then enough of a man, working on a bike doesn't scare me. I don't need to run to a dealer for an oil change.
if it was an R it should be close to 100lbs lighter with almost twice the power (de-corked). If you're only putting along on dirt roads and to Starbucks then yes, the difference is probably negligible. I'm not talking about dealer service but actual market availability of new and used bikes. Bergs and Vors are pretty rare most places.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
if it was an R it should be close to 100lbs lighter with almost twice the power (de-corked). If you're only putting along on dirt roads and to Starbucks then yes, the difference is probably negligible. I'm not talking about dealer service but actual market availability of new and used bikes. Bergs and Vors are pretty rare most places.
The 1st gen KLR weighs 430 wet with 34rwhp. The stock XR650R weighs 331 wet with 41rwhp. The best uncorked numbers I found was 59. Still impressive. Of course there are many bikes that would still outrun it. The one I rode I believe was a L, not a R. Some places let you plate 450 MX bikes, but not here.

It all comes down to personal preference and for Tony he would be better served with a KLR or DR for what he's looking to do. I was looking at picking up a 2013 Husqvarna TR650 when I stumbled upon the G650X XC. For $3500 there was no reason not to scoop it up.

I will absolutely admit I'm blessed with good dealers of just about every brand close by. I have talked to people on ADV that are literally 3 hours or more away from dealers, especially Euro brands.

Edit - And for the record I've never been to a Starbucks. :spit

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Get it running.

And at some point I need new chain and sprocket and probably tires. No rush.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts