Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is the deal. I am at a stoplight, I take off. There is a "Crest" in the intersection--hopefully you know what I am talking about. I take off anyway, and I get this wobble in the front tire. Felt like the bike's front tire was hoping from one side to the other. I had a good tight grip on the bars so nothing bad happened, but freaked me out a little bit. I added a couple psi in both tires that was all I had changed recently. I think up to 36psi. All I can come up with is that the front tire got light as I crested the "hill" in the intersection, but I was below 8grand on the tach--so I wasn't really making all that much power.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Was the road sloped to one side slightly?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
A little hard on the gas lightening the front + crest in the intersection further lightening the front + uneven pavement of any type = front end wobbles. Could have even been the beginning of a tankslapper.

BTW, a loose grip on the bars would have been better to let the bike settle out on its own sooner.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BTW, a loose grip on the bars would have been better to let the bike settle out on its own sooner.
are you sure?? I think it would have tank slapped.

I didn't think it was really sloped or uneven, I will go back through that intersection and see.

A little hard on the gas lightening the front + crest in the intersection further lightening the front + uneven pavement of any type = front end wobbles. Could have even been the beginning of a tankslapper.
Yea that's all I can come up with.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You likely got the front wheel a tiny bit off the road and put it down slightly out of line with the rear. It's more likely to happen charging out of corners, but it could happen where you were.

BTW a steering damper helps reduce that headshake.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
its called headshake (since no one has mentioned that yet)

it can be bad, but normally it will sort itself out... you probably got it froma combination of way too tight grip on the clip ons (always light light grip) and an input into the clipons because of ur grip. It can be caused by irregularity in the road too of course, but usually I think its more rider error than anything.

No biggie though, ur out of it and its one more thing in ur bag of experience, so it wont freak u out as much next time :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
its called headshake (since no one has mentioned that yet)

it can be bad, but normally it will sort itself out... you probably got it froma combination of way too tight grip on the clip ons (always light light grip) and an input into the clipons because of ur grip. It can be caused by irregularity in the road too of course, but usually I think its more rider error than anything.

No biggie though, ur out of it and its one more thing in ur bag of experience, so it wont freak u out as much next time
that makes sense.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
are you sure?? I think it would have tank slapped.
Absolutely sure. If you are heading for a tankslapper (or headshake as mentioned above), there is nothing good that you can do by giving any inputs to the grips except to try to gently guide the bike to stay on the road. The bike's steering and suspension are designed (assuming not improperly modified) to dampen oscillations and return to a steady state as quickly as possible. Being tight on the grips can only make that take longer or never happen.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
It usually doesn't last long once you loosen your grip. A second or two max. A loose grip also helps your circulation and lessens arm fatigue when riding.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have to try to remember that.

I think I just held it tight and straight, since I was going through an intersection. I think that crest had something to do with why I was holding on so tight. Now that I think about it once I was over the crest I loosed my grip and it went away.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Under 8 grand? How wide was the intersection? How much gas were you giving it? Drag racing? Showing off? I'd have to be wringing it out to put air under the front tire - even over the worst of pavement humps - from a dead stop at an intersection.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not a big deal man, just a little unerving the first time.

Happens again and just tighten your legs, relax your grip and give it some gas to unload the front.

If it really worries you, buy a damper.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Under 8 grand? How wide was the intersection? How much gas were you giving it? Drag racing? Showing off? I'd have to be wringing it out to put air under the front tire - even over the worst of pavement humps - from a dead stop at an intersection.
I wasn't giving it that much--realatively :) I am pretty sure it was fairly low rpm, that's why i couldn't believe the tire got so light. It was just a four lane intersection. It was a dead stop and go, but still.

Not a big deal man, just a little unerving the first time.

Happens again and just tighten your legs, relax your grip and give it some gas to unload the front.

If it really worries you, buy a damper.
Yea, thanks man. I just got nerved up a little afterwards, it's all gone now. I really want to get a damper, maybe next year.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
i had a similar problem like that last night when i was riding. i was out in the country going over these rolling hills. i was in about third gear, 65~70mph. everytime i went over one and gave it gas the front tire would come off the ground for about 30~40 yards and then come down. it didn't shake or anything like that. it'd just come up a few feet off the ground for awhile.

·
Registered
775 Posts
RayOSV said:
Absolutely sure. If you are heading for a tankslapper (or headshake as mentioned above), there is nothing good that you can do by giving any inputs to the grips except to try to gently guide the bike to stay on the road. The bike's steering and suspension are designed (assuming not improperly modified) to dampen oscillations and return to a steady state as quickly as possible. Being tight on the grips can only make that take longer or never happen.
Ray said it better than I could have. You should always try to keep a light grip on the bars in situations like this. Fighting it will only make it worse.

Also, you will eventually get used to the front end getting light and trying to wobble on you when accelerating. After doing a few track days I have gotten relatively comfortable with some of the front end twitch you get. Just watch the racers and you will see how common this is for them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
malik ross said:
i had a similar problem like that last night when i was riding. i was out in the country going over these rolling hills. i was in about third gear, 65~70mph. everytime i went over one and gave it gas the front tire would come off the ground for about 30~40 yards and then come down. it didn't shake or anything like that. it'd just come up a few feet off the ground for awhile.
sounds like fun!

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
redcbrla said:
sounds like fun!

same thing happened to me going over some rolling hills at about... oh 110 ish... that was the best feeling ive ever had on a sportbike, the wheel just ever so lightly coming up and then touching back down....

makes me cream when i htink of it.... is that normal?

:fiddy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts