Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first weekend of racing with me an silent was a blast! The problem is it pretty much went down hill from there. All it was was us and the bikes like when me and Rich went to the track and for that matter when me and Rob whent before he started racing.

When we went racing in this regon it seems like the sh4t talking comes first and little riding comes in between. I dont know about the rest of you but to me I thought you were supposed to have fun doing it.

Any recomendations on diffrent regons/races/orgs we should consider racing in? I love riding but I havent had that much fun latly at the track. I was thinkingof selling the street bike but the more I think of itselling the track bike would be wiser. O)ne example of how things changed but normaly that would be an intrersting challenge but turned into a potential calamity. Suggestions?

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
maybe it's because you and silent go to often and put to much pressure on yourself to dominate....
i've only been going one weekend a month and i really look forward to it....any more than that i'd prolly start feeling like you do....

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
Hey Joe... you have to admit that you had some pretty shitty luck at the last race. Safety wire in the tire, cracking your cases, not liking the new tires you were trying... blah, blah, blah... I understand what your saying, but maybe your taking it too serious. At this level, it is all about t he fun of riding on the track. None of us are going to be the next Rossi. We none of use are going to make any money doing this. We do it, because we love to ride on the track, and the thrill of competition. Not to mention how much safter it is than the street. It was pretty damn hot also. Maybe MAM will be be better for you, if you get some time to relax and enjoy it, instead of having to work on your shit all day. One of the big things is just hanging out and bs'n with friends. I dont know about all the shit talking, but dont take that too serious either... Remember... this is fun shit! Good luck at MAM! Wish I was going... D

·
Greenlawn Racing dot com
217 Posts
WERA
CRA
CMRA

all better orgs

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rich791 said:
WERA
CRA
CMRA

all better orgs
I have not had on single issue with CCS. I don't know why people give CCS such a bad rep. Yeah, pulling everyone in from the amature pratice because a few people went over the white line at HPT was a little extreme, but whatever...

In regards to Joe's post I would agree with everything XRacerX has said. You guys have had bad luck at both HPT and BHF. Brandy crashed at BHF and Joe's issues at HPT. Everytime I looked at your guy's pit you were wrenching on something in between races, and that is no fun...

In regards to level of seriousness, I would disagree with the two suggestions from badgixxer and XRacerX that you guys take it too serious. I would say just the oposite, that you don't take it serious enough.

I don't know how to say this part w/o offense, but listen to me when I say I mean no offense...

But maybe you guys have hit your ceiling of speed and aren't getting any faster...Joe you have told me that you don't like MAM becuase you have been 1 million times, and are not getting any faster...I on the other hand can't get away from the track, because I have so much room for growth and do get faster each and every time out there...It would get boring if I went out there and was not improving each time I went. Yeah their is going to be a point where you level off, and maybe you guys have hit that level...Please don't take this the wrong way...

Trackdays and Racing is totally different attitude IMO, and it just seems to me that you guys treat the two the same. The reason I say this is because your Pratice Times and Race Times are near the same when almost everyone has a time difference, once "The Flag Drops"...

As far as the shit talking goes...Not really sure about that one, but I know from personal experiance that everyone loves to talk shit, and the best remedy I have found for that is to simply beat their ass out their on the track, and they shut up pretty quick... :beer

Again, please don't take anything I said the wrong way, these are all just IMO's

:beer

·
Greenlawn Racing dot com
217 Posts
CCS blows. I didn't have a bad experience for a while last year, but combined with their piss poor attitudes and the fact that I've experienced better with other orgs makes me hate them. You go to a WERA race and there is no "lets cut practice down" or lets go to 6 lap sprints cause we are too dumb to schedule accordingly. Nor do you wait in line for 900 hours to register even though you preregistered and most importantly the people that work there actually LIKE racers.

Last week dumb ole Larry from tech cussed me out for not teching in the morning. Tech is open all goddamn day in case you crash. He also told me I couldn't race because I didn't practice per the rulebook. Bullshit. Read the book. Larry in particular, along with the rest of CCS can eat me. I spend way to much time and money to take their shit but since they are the only race org in the MW I'm gonna keep eating it until WERA comes back or CRA expands.

In regards to your question Joe, I think its a combination of things:

The comradarie that used to come w/ track days isn't what it used to be this year. Drama, lots of traveling differences, etc have caused that.

People sometimes compete against each other - ie me vs you - instead of against the outside competitors.

You've had a string of bad luck.

You don't have this bike dialed in like you did the R1 or F4 so you can't get the best out of it.

600 is a really tough class to start in.

I hope you don't throw in the towel just yet - try a few more weekends and make sure you aren't having fun before you quit altogether.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
everyone has a different fun factor. for me, my fun factor is just going out there with my stock turd and runnin around the track with friends and also meeting new riders and maybe learning something from them. racing is a whole different story in almost all respects. racing adds stress. im 100% stress free at a trackday and love it. can you say that about racing? gimme a trackday once or twice a month if im lucky and im a happy camper. get me out in a race environment with stress everyweekend and i probably wouldnt have as good of an outlook.

as for the shit talkin, heh, thats what i do best and those that know me know thats all im doin. if i didnt give you guys shit, the day just wouldnt be right :)

btw, for what its worth, i remember doing just trackday with you a couple years ago and you were happy go lucky then. the last one at HPT you werent even close to that.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
gixerking said:
im 100% stress free at a trackday and love it. can you say that about racing?
Yes, I can say that. I am 100% stress free at every Race and Trackday I have been at with the exception of RA, and that is only becuase it was my 1st race weekend...

I think that between the Drama, Travel Differences, and everything else, it is just better to ride by yourself and meet up with everyone at the track...

Their is not as much Drama on this board as say KCSB, but even if you don't want to race and compete aganist other KC People, they will drag you into the mix and drama wether you like it or not...

I myself have found that the best thing for me is to travel alone. At the end of the day I can retire to my trailer, have my privacy, I don't have to trip over other peoples shit and I have my space.

I to would hate to see you throw in the towel, becuase I owe alot of my advancement and skill to you, and would hate to see you leave racing/track days, becuase I have pretty much left the street scene.

I really do think the best thing in racing is to be 100% self sufficent and just meet your pit buddies at the track...

That is what I plan on doing for the remainder of the season...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anything fun can start feeling like a chore when you put pressure on youself to do it often. And I assume racing is stressful already.
Maybe schedule less races and add in some variety into biking a bit more. Only race when you 'want' to go. Go on a road trip and do a couple light hearted track days with your best friends maybe.

I'm thinking you and Brandy went to VIR and Deals Gap on a trip a couple years ago? I bet that trip was fun.
I say variety and doing what you want when you want to. Let the pressure of commitment to race a full season slide off your shoulders and smell the roses more.

just a thought.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The constant wrong flages did not help at all either you have a red flag or you dont- dont pull out the red flag then a second later the checkered. :pisson I dont know if you guys rember the man that crashed and was lying in buring race fuel wile they continued to make two laps under the waving red in pratice?! The cornerworkers dont bother enforcing the flags why should anyone watch them? The people that did not race in the 600 class just have no idea how much of a clusterfuck it can be. I could race in the 1000 class but those guys brake way too hard. Even on my first weekend there were some cloce calls where I almost rear ended some of the big bikes.

Part of the problem is like Rich said I have learned about other orgs and I know what it is like when it is done right. It was insane how many people tried to help me at CRA when I first started and I did not even ask! You dont get that comrodery with the KC croud just the dramarama.

Everyone wants to be Rossi but ends up acting like Biaggi.

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
[QUOTEEveryone wants to be Rossi but ends up acting like Biaggi.[/QUOTE] :eek:nfloor That is hilarious, and so true!! :eek:nfloor

Just hang with the easy going people at the track, and stay away from the fools. Its amazing the attitudes some people can have, when they are really clueless about the whole situation. It usually doesnt take long to figure out who is really in your group. Enough said. Dont quit just yet, Im planning on making it out to a couple of races this year, yes, to race! :banana

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
smokenjoe said:
Everyone wants to be Rossi but ends up acting like Biaggi.

:lao :eek:nfloor :cheers

yeah change your pit peeps and see how it goes. d, sam, kuni, pat, and i had a blast at our pit :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
smokenjoe said:
I could race in the 1000 class but those guys brake way too hard. Even on my first weekend there were some cloce calls where I almost rear ended some of the big bikes.
I always thought that you were supposed to brake hard on the track, especially in a race. :dunno

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
O.W. Kenobi said:
I always thought that you were supposed to brake hard on the track, especially in a race. :dunno
By that he means that they brake too early and/or too much. Then they dont carry a very high corner speed, and can get in the way, like a roadblock. Can be a dangerous situation for those carrying a lot of speed into the corner... just my .02 :popcorn

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
XRacerX said:
By that he means that they brake too early and/or too much. Then they dont carry a very high corner speed, and can get in the way, like a roadblock. Can be a dangerous situation for those carrying a lot of speed into the corner... just my .02 :popcorn

That is pretty much it. The 600's have a crazy amound of hp but the big bike will often get over 60HP more so they 'square off' the corner dive in deep brake and brake as late as you can spending as little time as possible leand over then get on the gas. It actualy does make sence to reduce your lean angle because you are on the meat of the tire when you exit instead of leand over and will have less tire spin. Some people do this on a 600 too but you either need to have a weaght advantage or a HP advantage for it to make sence when carried to the extreem or a track too tight or bumpy to allow for alternate lines. HPT is a great example of a track that has only soo many good lines it is a pretty narrow track to begin with and the poor condition means that you are short on traction unless yo are on the line. BHF is the same way though the surface is not bat it is even tighter. It was rare not to have at least one wreck on the first lap and most of the races I have run in (excluding the first weekend that was fun) were red flagged at least once if not more! There is nothing more of a bummer than a second restart on cold tires.

If you ever get a change look at the 250 DP class vs the 1000 class MotoGP. Same diffrence.

Rich got in a wreck at Gateway when he had an atique 6R and tangled with a R1 that just would not get out of the way.

I wonder if the Expert calss is less squidly? It doesnt take many points to move up I could always pick up some easy points in the 1000 class no one races there.:popcorn

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've found that the most rewarding aspect of racing is the friendships that I've made along the way. One of the biggest disappointments has been seeing friends drop out of racing over the years. It seem as if the average life span of a racer is between three and four seasons. Most quit from the stress rather than from injury. The stress comes from coping with the inevitable problems that arise as well as the impact on relationships and finances. Sometimes just two back to back bad weekends is enough.

I had a bad weekend at Daytona in 1991 and quit in my second season of racing. I stayed away until 1996.

What I've found that keeps me going is two things:

One, I don't worry about how I do against anyone else, I look at how I am doing against my own past performance. As for other racers, I've found very little correlation between ability and character. My friends ability to go faster than me means no more than their ability to beat me in a video game. There will always be someone faster and someone slower (in my case pretty much the former). My friends won't behave any differently if they win or lose and I hope that my behavior is constant regardless of my results.

Two, I do everything possible to ensure that I will have a trouble free weekend (trailer and tow vehicle maintained, bike is prepped and ready, all necessary spares are packed, etc.). I'm not racing at MAM this weekend because I haven't had time to make the changes to the 748 that I want to do. I used to feel a lot more pressure if I was running for points but after a while came to the realization that regional championships were just as often a result of showing up for most races rather than a measure of ability.

Joe, I hope that you stay with it. I know from personal experience that it can be heartbreaking and that it can be difficult to bear the set backs with equanimity but it does seem to be worth it. I hope to keep racing for some years to come but I have to accept that my age will become more and more of a factor in the future.

Come and pit with us at the next race.

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
smokenjoe said:
That is pretty much it. The 600's have a crazy amound of hp but the big bike will often get over 60HP more so they 'square off' the corner dive in deep brake and brake as late as you can spending as little time as possible leand over then get on the gas. It actualy does make sence to reduce your lean angle because you are on the meat of the tire when you exit instead of leand over and will have less tire spin. Some people do this on a 600 too but you either need to have a weaght advantage or a HP advantage for it to make sence when carried to the extreem or a track too tight or bumpy to allow for alternate lines. HPT is a great example of a track that has only soo many good lines it is a pretty narrow track to begin with and the poor condition means that you are short on traction unless yo are on the line. BHF is the same way though the surface is not bat it is even tighter. It was rare not to have at least one wreck on the first lap and most of the races I have run in (excluding the first weekend that was fun) were red flagged at least once if not more! There is nothing more of a bummer than a second restart on cold tires.

If you ever get a change look at the 250 DP class vs the 1000 class MotoGP. Same diffrence.

Rich got in a wreck at Gateway when he had an atique 6R and tangled with a R1 that just would not get out of the way.

I wonder if the Expert calss is less squidly? It doesnt take many points to move up I could always pick up some easy points in the 1000 class no one races there.:popcorn
Yes... the Expert class is less squidly!! Its nice not having all the newbies out there zigzaging around. And you do end up going faster, as you are riding with faster people. The only prob is, that CCS tends to run the AM & EX at the same time. They start it in waves, so you end up catching up to the AM even quicker, and its then the same shit all over. I will be coming back as an AM, as it has been over 10 years, and I have only been on the track twice in that time. The contingencies used to pay more for the EX, so that is a definate bonus, if you chase that $$.

I vote for you to put the 03 1K on the track, and let the chips fall where they may. At the least, it would be a new challenge for you, and something fresh. It sounds like you need that more than anything right now. And choose your pit spot very carefully... :lol

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
RacerX and greg seem to have hit it on the mark. RacerX on the squids and Gred on the attitude part. Money should not be an issue but it always is anyway there is no too ways about it there are some things I could spend money on and go faster.

I think I do want to go to the expert class next year at leas most of them are in control of their bike. We will see though. I am going to try to rework my forks barring any strang occurance I should be able to do that friday if not I will skip MAM. I am not going to skip Barber no matter what that has to be my favorate track to ride. that might make a big diffrence.

BTW I have had the GSXR on the track and though the times are better at some tracks(anything with a long strait really) it just is not as fun. I do not like trading strait line speed for corner speed that is gay and takes no tallent. Well maby a little avoiding crashing but you are always on the edge with that bike when you are going fast so unless I upgrade the suspension it is just too much of a beast. You leave blackeys even when you are not trying to go fast. I would love to race an R1 though I will have to keep an eye out.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So how was this last weekend for you? Have more fun?

You will need 750 points to go expert next year. Baring a injury, loss of job, I will be expert next year, so if you are looking to get away from the squids, sorry man :lol

But, I do know that in order to be competive in the expert class on a 600, you are going to need to add some ponies to that r6, Top 5 guys in middleweight were running 1:35's and below last weekend...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts