Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting ready to do the second oil change on the bike, it'll be the first that I do on my own though.

The Owner's Manual suggests 10W30 (~10-90F) or 20W40 (~40-115F). I'm guessing that 20W40 would be better for me to use (in Toronto we have a pretty temperate climate, it's decently warm, but not quite the Texas kinda heat).

Will I be fine with 20W40? Or should I consider something else? I've been reading all sorts of suggestions about grades of oil to use, but it's still all a bit like black magic for me :D

Thanks in advance,
-Q

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have Castrol Superbike 10W50 in currently, but I didn't really like what it did to the clutch.

Whatever you put in, make sure it's made for bikes. Car oils might give you a slippery clutch.

Best thing would be to go to nearest bike dealer, and ask what they put in their bikes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rayman said:
Oh No! Not the oil question again.... Oh the humanity.... :)
I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything, so... :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info!

-Q

·
Registered
95 Posts
Qualdoth you should go to cycle world and pick up some yamalube 20W40. Been workin great for me

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know about their motor oils, but Yamalube's 2 stroke premix oil ranks somewhere between Husqvarna and Wesson on my list of quality. *go Torco*
my 2cents

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to the local dealer they sell Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki and they told me they use Honda's motorcycle oil in all their service work. I bought the Honda (10w40) oil and it seems to work fine.

Robb

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Dexter_643 said:
I don't know about their motor oils, but Yamalube's 2 stroke premix oil ranks somewhere between Husqvarna and Wesson on my list of quality. *go Torco*
my 2cents

With a change interval of 4000 miles, I do not think it makes a difference what oil you use. Except for where the clutch is concerned, no oil with "friction reducers".

·
Registered
69 Posts
lol This question really does seem to come up a lot....I'm from Saskatchewan, so we're probably a BIT colder than you are most of the time, but my bike is fine with normal 10w40. Nothing special. Just change it twice a year and your bike will never complain.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I put in the Yamalube 20w40 for the first change, but wasn't able to get it for the second change I did. Actually, I didn't want to drive 40 miles when there is a bike shop in town that had the 10w30. The 10w30 works fine, and being that I am in the great white north (Michigan), the lower temp rating is probably appropriate. The shops around here that I have talked to also use the Honda oil, but I don't want that steenking craap in my bike. ;)

-J

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aside from this thread, I also took the liberty of calling a local dealership that had done my first oil change to ask what they had put in my bike. Figured, especially since I know one of the guys that works there... shouldn't be a problem to find out. They'd told me they would have put 10W40 in it.

So went to a local auto parts joint and picked up some 10W40 Castrol Motorcycle Oil. Now I'm all set! Whee!

-Q

·
Registered
143 Posts
fz6java said:
I went to the local dealer they sell Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki and they told me they use Honda's motorcycle oil in all their service work. I bought the Honda (10w40) oil and it seems to work fine.

Robb

Motorcycle companies don't make ANY fluids, it's all second branded. Your buying stuff from the lowest bidder, and paying the highest price for it! My advice change oil often, especially if you ride hard. I always use Mobil 15W50 Red Cap, or Shell Rotella. I have used everything from 99 cent car oil in the bike to $8.00 a quart "motorcycle" oil, personally I believe the "Slipping clutch" is an urban myth :dunno My bike seems to shift very smooth with the 15W50, and it will have 30,000 miles by the end of Saturday, I have used "car" oils in it the whole time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
RickC1957 said:
Motorcycle companies don't make ANY fluids, it's all second branded. Your buying stuff from the lowest bidder, and paying the highest price for it! My advice change oil often, especially if you ride hard. I always use Mobil 15W50 Red Cap, or Shell Rotella. I have used everything from 99 cent car oil in the bike to $8.00 a quart "motorcycle" oil, personally I believe the "Slipping clutch" is an urban myth :dunno My bike seems to shift very smooth with the 15W50, and it will have 30,000 miles by the end of Saturday, I have used "car" oils in it the whole time.
My last bike was a Nighthawk S and all I ever used in that was 15W40 car oil and it never had any problems.

Robb

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Regardless of what forum or mailing list I have been on, I have yet to read where someone experienced an oil related engine failure. I would not change my oil at 2000 miles as that is just wasting money and oil. The 4000 mile interval is fine and probably a little too short an interval.

·
Born to Lose, Live to Win
1,200 Posts
I used to use Rotella T 15w-40, but Wally world doesn't sell it anymore. I had to change my oil today, so I used Rotella T's 10w-30... My bike works 10x better with this stuff! I don't know how or why, but it just seems like shifting is less clunky, and it heats up faster (that I know why..).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts