Sport Bikes banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
needs a job
739 Posts
Calling gas "premium," "high-grade" or whatever is simply clever marketing-- I wonder how well these grades would sell if the descriptor was "more resistant to combustion"?

"Me? Oh, hell yeah-- I use the stuff because I figure what, a dollar more per tank for gas that burns less easily in my engine? Why wouldn't I spend that dollar?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Boneman131 said:
whatever. buy what you want. I'll buy what I want.

thats pretty much it. :cheers

but on this particular bike, barring unique circumstances, you could play eeny meeny miny moe whenever you pull up to the pump. there is not best, there is not required, whatever puts the zip in your step will work fine.

Id be far more concerned about WHERE the gas is coming from rather than the octane grade. busy primary source fuel stations, BP, amoco, chevron, ect. I stay away from independent stations and ghost towns. also, avoid much older stations; just because they updated the sign and stuff, they never replace the tanks in the ground. and as long as Im talking about nitpick stuff like this, I wouldnt fill up if you see the tanker on the lot. when they fill up the tanks it can stir up whatever pollutants have settled in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The best way to see that certain fuels are designed for only certain circumstances is to put 91-93 octane in a car designed for 87. Sometimes everything is fine. Other times, the car becomes very difficult to start. This is because the ignition and computer systems are designed to work with a specific kind of fuel that burns a specific way.

I think that's all I have to say about that.

·
FSRA Member
94 Posts
I really appreciate you guys bickering over this because I've been using premium since I got the bike. I assumed that I should since my Yamaha dirtbike requires it. When I read this thread and checked the manual, BEHOLD - 87 is fine. It's regular for me from now on. Thanks again!:cheers

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know about the combustion aspect, but here at least, the premium grades at the major stations usually contain more additives/detergents or whatever, supposedly better for your engine.

Assuming it's true, wouldn't this alone make the extra buck or two worth it?

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
^^^ Again, not really relevant to FZ6s...

A previous post hit the nail on the head by highlighting the fact that some people call 91 octane "The good stuff" or "premium"

There's a store in Canada called canadian tire. I can buy 'premium' brand brake pads there. They are $40 for my lexus and they are organic shit. They are far from premium even compared to the factory semi-metallic pads.

Bottom line, anybody that thinks that higher octane is any better for an engine designed for 87 octane has unfortunately been swayed by marketing and simple misinformation.

If anybody feels like volunteering their time to help me, I'll take my bike to the strip and run 4 passes on reg gas, then I'll drain the tank and fill with 'ultra-94' and run 4 more passes. And we'll see how much time I lose by using "premium" gas...

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Theres a sticker on my K6 Suzuki that says premium fuel only - premium fuel in Oz is 98 OCTANE....he ive never seen 86 octane in my life

·
Registered
315 Posts
Some "premium" fuels (aka 91 octane) do contain more additives/detergents which are supposed to help remove/prevent deposits on components. Just pointing this out, not making a claim they actually do it!

Also, some Fizzer owners are being confused by what is stated in the manual. In section 3-9, it states the following:

"YOUR YAMAHA ENGINE HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO USE REGULAR UNLEADED GASOLINE WITH A PUMP OCTANE NUMBER [(R+M)/2] OF 86 OR HIGHER, OR A RESEARCH OCTANE NUMBER OF 91 OR HIGHER."

Couple of things to learn from this:

1) All the pumps I have seen in the US use the pump octane number, aka (R+M)/2, therefore 87 octane in the US is perfectly acceptable. You can double check this at your favorite pump, it will say how the octane was calculated. Look right by the octane number.

2) The manual also states "...or higher", so for those who prefer to use mid-grade or premium, they are also perfectly acceptable.

Good wiki article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Focker out!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ozy said:
Theres a sticker on my K6 Suzuki that says premium fuel only - premium fuel in Oz is 98 OCTANE....he ive never seen 86 octane in my life
the US has its own octane deal going on. I dont know if any other countries have the same scale; I know japan is similair to what you describe. the grades are roughly equal however between the 2 systems. I couldnt tell you why theres a difference though.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts