Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
I run 87. And if anyone tells me different I'll argue all day about it. Oh and people we're talking about the FZ6 here!

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
I ran 91 for the first 3 or 4 months I had the bike. I then read in the manual that I could use 87, so bumped it back down to using regular. Runs the same exact way, and saves me a little $$.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Back to what Bauer said ... fuel is "designed" to support certain criteria in an engine. 93 isn't better than 87; it's designed to support higher compression IF a lower octane fuel (and a ton of modern electronics) cannot properly do the job.

87 does the job in this case. End of story.

·
Cappo
872 Posts
I use premium...i guess out of habit. The difference is less than a buck to fill the tank up between regular unleaded and premium unleaded.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
I've always used 89. Bike runs smooth as silk. I may try 87 and if there is no change then just stick with the cheaper of the two.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've always used 93 octane in all of my vehicles (car(actually needs 93 or higher), bike, quad, lawnmower, leafblower, weedwacker)out of habit. there is only a $0.20 difference between 87 and 93 octane and if your filling your fz6 there would only be a $1 difference when filling up, so why not get the good stuff? I also only use mobil or exxon gas, out of habit as well.

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts
Normally, I pump the cheapest gas (87) at whatever gas station I happen to be near when that handy indicator tells me we need fuel (one of the cool features I love about this bike). Owner's manual says it's fine, and the bike doesn't complain. She's not a "gas snob" :)

The only time I put premium fuel in it was when a friend in the military gave me a few gallons of jet fuel. You can break the sound barrier on an FZ6 if you put jet fuel in your tank. Be sure you have synthetic oil in the crankcase if you try this - the organic stuff will burst into flame at those speeds.

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
peteyvw said:
if your filling your fz6 there would only be a $1 difference when filling up, so why not get the good stuff?
BINGO! +1

It's like $16.00 for the low end or $17.60 for premium...hmmmm wonder what I should go with.....

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts
peteyvw said:
there is only a $0.20 difference between 87 and 93 octane and if your filling your fz6 there would only be a $1 difference when filling up, so why not get the good stuff?
I think that the point some other board members are making (and I agree) is that it's not any better for our engines. I'd be perfectly willing to pay the extra $1 too, if there were a benefit to realize.

I don't see an upside to running a "less volatile" (bad terminology, but you get the idea) mix different from the manufacturers recommendation.

Those of you using this, are you looking for a benefit from detergents or other additives?

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Sure, if someone filled my tank wil low octane gas then premium I can tell you right now I would probably never know or feel the difference...same with what types of oil (lets be real here folks). I look at premium gas like everything else these days; If you can buy the best and afford the best, why wouldn't you get the best?

Like buying batteries. I can buy 2 no-name brand 'AA' batteries for $4.00 or I can buy 2 Duracel 'AA' batteries for $6.50. Will my TV remote know the difference...probably not....

Oh and I use the higher ocatne beacuse my dealer/mechanic suggested it and said "it can't/won't hurt". Probably a bit cleaner burning too (at least that's what the comercials want me to believe!). Go with what works for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
well the mistake being made is that 93octane is "the best" or "the good stuff"

it simply is not.

infact you can go inside the gas station and buy some "octane booster" additive and get the same net effect.

its not somehow a better blend, and as someone mentioned, often times its actually older fuel which is not good.

octane is not a measure of quality, I just wanted to reiterate that. and using a higher octane than nescessary is not beneficial or harmful.

I personally stay away from 89 when possible, my unsubstantiated logic is that Ive never in my life seen a car that requires 89octane... every car Ive ever seen is either 87 or 91/93. so I have to assume 89 is the oldest fuel at a station, and thus, not interested.

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
whatever. buy what you want. I'll buy what I want.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sum of thread:

My gas is better than your gas

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
^^^ HAA HAAA..nice!!! :lao

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
bauerbach said:
I personally stay away from 89 when possible, my unsubstantiated logic is that Ive never in my life seen a car that requires 89octane... every car Ive ever seen is either 87 or 91/93. so I have to assume 89 is the oldest fuel at a station, and thus, not interested.

I believe the new BMW twins require 89 or midgrade, this is a change from the previous generation that required premium...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts