Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what grade of gas everyone is using for their Fz6 and why?

I use regular 87 and my bike runs fine, I tried mid-grade 89 and noticed no difference at all.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You will get alot of different oppion on what octane to run but all I can tell you is the only reason to run higher octane is because the engine needs it due to higher compression. If your engine runs good on lower octane use it. The engine will run better and produce more horse power with the lowest octane your engine can run on. Oh I use 87 too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every now and then I put in premium but it is purely for placebo reasons. There is absolutely no difference; but, it's only 5 gallons --- I'll take the chance that maybe it really is tons better and I'm doing me and my bike a great favor...

·
we the people ...right?
926 Posts

It says 90+ (PLUS!)
That's 90 OR better.
There is no such thing as "too much" at the PUMP.
I can already see how this thread will go.
SO, find what is recommended...and use it or better.
I am almost sure the manufacturers know what they are talking about.
I WILL SAY NO MORE.:monstergr

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey, you get french stickers there too? (I assume Tx means Texas.) I thought that was just for us Canucks...

·
Registered
497 Posts
i dont recall seeing that particular sticker on mine, but read something about using 87. I used 93 for the first 6 or 8 months until i actually read part of the manual or something and have used 87 since. It doesnt seem to have made one bit of difference.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
raized1199 said:
It says 90+ (PLUS!)
That's 90 OR better.
There is no such thing as "too much" at the PUMP.
I can already see how this thread will go.
SO, find what is recommended...and use it or better.
I am almost sure the manufacturers know what they are talking about.
I WILL SAY NO MORE.:monstergr

I think that 90 octane is "research octane" level. That equates to 87 at the pump.

The service manual only states "Unleaded Fuel Only".

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
I followed the sticker advice on my girl , she get's 91 here , only the best for my baby !

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Pretty sure my manual says 87. I use only the cheap stuff, you're only retarding your timing if you put something higher in.

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
Umm... except that his bike is NOT an FZ6!

87 is all good, another reason it's better is simply this:

higher octane fuel sits in the tank longer. unless you are in an area where everyone drives porsches, it most likely goes 2-3 times slower than 87, so it sits in that tank and gets condensation, fouls from sitting, etc.

Buy high-quality 100% gasoline (not 10%+ ethanol) at 87 octane and your bike will run like a charm. Shell is one company that tends to advertise 100% gasoline, at least in the midwest.

·
Registered
281 Posts
rg-one said:
Umm... except that his bike is NOT an FZ6!

87 is all good, another reason it's better is simply this:

higher octane fuel sits in the tank longer. unless you are in an area where everyone drives porsches, it most likely goes 2-3 times slower than 87, so it sits in that tank and gets condensation, fouls from sitting, etc.

Buy high-quality 100% gasoline (not 10%+ ethanol) at 87 octane and your bike will run like a charm. Shell is one company that tends to advertise 100% gasoline, at least in the midwest.
My bike runs the exact same with 10% ethonal as it does with any other gas. Plus the Ethonal keeps the metals cleaner, not as much build up and such.

·
we the people ...right?
926 Posts
"Oh and people we're talking about the FZ6 here! -Aaron"

By all means, please forgive me.
Let me remove myself fro the "fz6" thread
and stop taking up space.
My bad.

"Ye other invaders, best remove thyself also."

edited: wrong place / wrong time:)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
raized1199 said:
I think the GAS TANK STICKER, that is inches from the GAS CAP, states "90+"
:neener ...........................:bitchslap

Non sequitur. The original post was in reference to an FZ6, not your Kawasaki...

·
Registered
109 Posts
the FZ6 user manual I downloaded states

"your yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher."

this is on page 3-9 bottom center btw.

FYI Octane is a measure of the fuels RESISTANCE to igniting via additive to the fuel. the higher octanes are for high compression engines so the fuel does not ignite when the piston comes up before the spark has a chance to ignite it when it should.

more octane does absolutely nothing if this is not an issue. there is no such thing as "too much" octane for an engine, no amount of octane will keep the spark from not igniting the fuel. no amount that you can buy anyway, maybe if you used like 105+ race fuel(over 110 I think it only comes leaded); at 105, you might have issues with a incomplete burn, but this is kind of going off topic at that point.

in modern cars there is a ping sensor that will retard the timing(delay the compression phase to keep it from igniting prematurely).

the FZ6 does NOT have such a thing as far as I can gather.

so, basicly; 93 or 91, or 89 will certainly not hurt the bike in any way. 87 SHOULD work fine, but every engine is different and various things can effect it such as air temp/density, temp of the engine, condition of the seals ect ect ect. as well as the brand of fuel itself, not all 87 octanes are created equal.

if you run 87 and you hear pinging, be SURE to get a higher octane level; pinging is BAD BAD BAD.

if you run 87 and you do not get pinging, then you are running as you should and enjoy the cheap fuel, youd benefit in absolutely no way by running anything higher.

personally I put 87 or 89. 93 is definitely uneeded for mine it seems, as I get no pinging either way.

being that we get 40miles per gallon, and the difference is maybe 10cents, whatever, your talking .4cents per mile difference, so whatever blows your skirt up is fine. you can put whatever you want in your bike, but the facts are as Ive stated them. I wouldnt consider someone that uses 87 to be neglectful at all; and someone that uses 93 is just being overly cautious.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts