Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the 675 rides like? From what I've gathered, I will not be able to get a test drive from any dealer, and I don't want to purchase something I have no idea about.

Currently I have an '04 Daytona 600. I know that the 675 is much slimmer and lighter and has a bit more power. But otherwise, I have no idea what to expect from it.

Can someone tell me what should I expect by switching from the 600 to 675. Does it ride/feel like the R6 or some other bike? Please advise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your D600 is a very roomie bike compared to any other 600 class SS bikes... It is very comfortable also. The 675 seat is super tall if you haven't sat on one! No, it doesn't feel like an R6 or another ss bike, because of the triple it has way more low-end torque to get the bike moving... It is like the other ss bikes in that it is very track inspired... triumphrat.net has some awesome info and you should be able to find almost anything you need there also... Hope this helps...

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Any particular reason why you'd think you wouldn't be able to get a test ride? I've been to the dealership between Hurst and Ft. Worth and he basically handed me the keys and said have fun with a knowing smile on his face.

As far as riding impressions, they're a little influenced by having recently come off a Yamaha YZF600R with some pretty dated technology.

To me, the riding position was without question designed with the track in mind. The height and angle of the seat plants you into the tank. I thought this would really be uncomfortable but when I went through a section of road that allowed some "spirited" manuevering, I found that the foot peg position coupled with the incredible lightness of the bike, made moving around the saddle really a no brainer.

The engine makes such a distinct sound and though I really never pushed it very hard, it really did feel like there was a lot more grunt than I had expected from the tripple. This might have really been influenced by that wonderful distinct sound though.

Moving through the gears, the shifts where crisp and precise.

The layout of the cockpit was nice, easy to read without distractions.

The front fairing and screen seemed tiny but at 5'9" the wind hit me right on the helmet and the airflow didn't create any buffetting.

As far as the actual ride? It was like riding a razor blade. In some situations, I could have sworn that all I did was look into an upcoming turn and the bike was already leaned over and tracking like it could read your mind. The setup on the suspension was pretty close it seems since I did hit some bumps and holes mid turn a couple times and the bike never hesitated.

When I brought it back, I had a grin that lasted for the next few days. The test ride pretty much sold me on the bike and if everything goes as I plan, I'll have one in the stable sometime this summer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dude, without question. Think of the T600 as the stale, warm, no frills coke that you've been sipping.. and the T675 as the nice, ICE cold, coke in the glass bottle on a hot summer day.

I was riding a Duc 749 before the 675, and the 749 felt like an f'ing porker in comparison. Winning the supersport Masterbike 2 yrs in a row says plenty. Get it!
:beer

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's (obviously) a great bike. You should definitely sit on one before you buy -- the seat height and riding position might not be what you are used to. Certainly not the most confortable sportbike I have ever owned (but by far my favorite). I think you will find that, because it is so narrow, the bike feels very small (which inspires a lot of confidence). The sound of the exhaust and the intake are amazing. I know a lot of this is vague, and so I would definitely encourage you to push for that test ride. The shops in my area are pretty cool about that sort of thing (especially if you show up on a bike of the same make).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea I was able to get a test ride with no problem at the local triumph dealer. Let me just say one ride is all it too on this bike to get me hooked. As other have said the ergo's are more track focused but its a very nice bike.
rideco

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its the best bike i've had.
But understand that its a triple. It will be more torquey (not a word, i know) than what your used to. The power band is greater, but the off/on portions of riding wont be as smooth as your used to. But its worth the small give ups to get everything else. Like has been mentioned...Tall, flickable, long powerband, slim. oh, did we mention that you can be in a sea of 2000 or so bikes and the only one? i should know. didnt see any at daytona bike week.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Let me just say one ride is all it too on this bike to get me hooked.
+1

That's all it took for me too. I'd been lusting over it as a track bike for a long time...took it out for one session and that was it, I had to have it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
check out the demo schedule... you may have just missed your chance
Triumph Motorcycles - Demo Events
oh man.. 19 days in a city close enough to me.

so how does a demo day work? is it at a track/closed course? do they just let you go out and about?

i recently just fell in love with the 675, the more i read about it the more i want it. there's a dealer down the street from my house, i may stop by and sit on one on the way home from work.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
they usually lead you around. some restrictions apply, need a license (obviously)get there early & sign up.

Yeah- and you HAVE to be 25 to participate. Not a problem for you guys, but I was PISSED.

A dealer will let me test ride a bike, but when the Triumph truck comes to town, I'm suddenly not allowed.

I own five of their bikes.... and they won't let me take a new one for a spin. The whole thing just drives me nuts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
^^ That is pretty gay!!

If the dealer lets you test ride one why dont you just do that then?
:eatpop
I bet that age limit is set by their insurance companies/ lawyers. whereas the local dealers can make judgement calls or exceptions based on their relationship with you.

I hope I can make one of these. there are two real close to me within the next 6 weeks. to bad i can't afford it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmm.. just how tall is tall? I'm 5'7"

Nearest Triumph dealer is several hours away too. meh.. Considering a new bike come next spring.

·
Registered
241 Posts
my license says i'm 5'8 and i was in between tip toeing and flat footing. it felt a little bit taller than the R6 next to it, but since it was narrower it felt better.

my inseam is about 31 in so that's the important number.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
hmm.. just how tall is tall? I'm 5'7"

Nearest Triumph dealer is several hours away too. meh.. Considering a new bike come next spring.
Let me put it this way...I'm 6'5'', 37'' inseam (yes, bear on a bicycle, I know) and the bike rides just fine for me. With stock rearsets I can ride it comfortably on the street.

Mine is a track only bike and I have woodcraft rearsets on it which raise the pegs and move them back quite a ways from stock. These make the bike nearly unridable for regular street conditions, but of course on the track you're never sitting on the bike so it works out perfectly. The only comparison I can really offer you is I'm less cramped on this bike than I was my older GSXR 600...both with racing rearsets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my license says i'm 5'8 and i was in between tip toeing and flat footing. it felt a little bit taller than the R6 next to it, but since it was narrower it felt better.

my inseam is about 31 in so that's the important number.
Pants are 30x30, trusting the slack/jean sizing, I assume that means I have a 30" inseam. The daytona 675 may be quite difficult for me to manage at stop/starts if I'm forced to tip toeing and leaning it when at rest..

I wonder how tall the ducati 848 is? :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pants are 30x30, trusting the slack/jean sizing, I assume that means I have a 30" inseam. The daytona 675 may be quite difficult for me to manage at stop/starts if I'm forced to tip toeing and leaning it when at rest..

i wear 30x30 in most pants 32 in others.

you're really going to have to go sit on one. I felt like I had enough foot down to be comfortable, but i'd definately have to be more careful about uneven pavement.

i *think* the 848 is shorter, but i can never get a good look at it because my eyes glaze over and i start drooling when i get close to one.

edit - google searched shows that the 848 and the 675 are withing .1 inch of each other. not enough IMO to justify the $3,000 price difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts

I have a 30" inseam also and the bike fits me just fine. I'm on my toes just a little but not enough to be uncomfortable or unsure of my footing.

For the original poster. Going from the D600 to the 675 is going to be like night and day. That D600 will feel like a tank compared to the nimble 675.
It's a great bike, can't go wrong with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts