·
Registered
589 Posts
No link...

It usually means one of three things:

The bike is stolen
The owner lost the title
The bike was purchased from an auction/insurance company as a wrecked bike

Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to file for a new title or a rebuilt title. What will the bike be used for?

·
I resemble that remark!
1,107 Posts
Title can be rebuilt. My girlfriend's dad is a used car wholesaler and he buys these all the time at the auction and rebuilds the title.

I don't know what's involved in that though.

Get the info for the bike and call the police and see if the bike's been reported stolen?

Definitely learn more about it before you entertain purchasing it.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
get the vin and check with the local law to see if it has been stolen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not sure how a newish bike thats never been dropped can not have a title. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

The only legitimate way I can think of is if the first owner lost the title, was too lazy to get a new one, and then sold it without a title.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I'm not sure how a newish bike thats never been dropped can not have a title. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

The only legitimate way I can think of is if the first owner lost the title, was too lazy to get a new one, and then sold it without a title.
??? no bike is too new to be totaled.

·
SBN Cali. Rider
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, apparantly the guy states the bike has a lien on it and has not been paid... Thus mo title. Isn't that considered some sort of theft???

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Original VINs can be removed and new VIN's stamped in their place.
even if the original is removed, the new vin will send a red flag.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
OK, apparantly the guy states the bike has a lien on it and has not been paid... Thus mo title. Isn't that considered some sort of theft???
no, it just means the lien has to be paid off, but who knows how much he has in the lien. basically it means there is a loan against the bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It varies by state but in CA you can't transfer ownership of a vehicle with a lien as you aren't the legal owner. I know in some states such as NY you can.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Sometimes people sell the bike and use the money to pay off the lien. I wouldn't be a buyer in that case unless we both go to the bank and the banker assures me, in writing, that the title will be mine. Even then I'd be tempted to keep looking.

this guy says that he doesn't have the title and won't have it. I don't know what the "wont have it" means, but it sounds like this is a track/parts bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this guy says that he doesn't have the title and won't have it. I don't know what the "wont have it" means, but it sounds like this is a track/parts bike.
I think it means the guy doesn't intend to use the money to pay off the loan and release the lien. He just wants to sell a bike that he doesn't own and keep the money. Its basically theft.

Edit: Or this is a clever story and the bikes actually stolen. Kinda fishy he doesn't even state the year in the ad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts