Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would find more info on this with a search but there wasn't much to see. So, what do you use to clean your bike? I use Meguirs Gold Class wash on my car and have found it to be very gentle on the paint so I'm assuming that will work for the bike. What about the cans? I still have stock exhaust cans and it seems like soap and water might not be enough to get them clean and keep them bright. Anyway, let me know what you use to clean your bike from top to bottom. Also, what do you use to protect your tank from scratches.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rain..............

Someone decided that they needed my bike cover more than me :boid , so as of right now, yeah, rain water.

As far as protecting the tank, I have a tank protector.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i found windex clean things up good on the front,soap and water on the bike. no real preferance. use mothers mag and aluminum polish on the can

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hondabrite, S100, or Simple Green for degreasing (blow water residue out with compressed air). Final dry with a towel.

Simple Green all over for 6 month thorough cleanings, followed by compressed air to remove the water from crevices. Final dry with a towel.

Plexus or Honda Cleaner/Wax for cleanups after a ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pro Honda spray cleaner/polish works great for getting road tar/chain wax off of wheels and bodywork.

Just about any automotive wash soap for general washing.

Zymol wax - excellent shine for painted surfaces, and smells like suntan lotion. Especially good on black/dark surfaces - doesn't leave swirls.

Kerosene or WD-40 for cleaning the chain, followed by a coating of aerosol chain wax.

Simple Green for cleaning/degreasing the engine if you happen to take the fairings off.

Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish for any chrome/aluminum polished bare metal bits.

Blue Magic Leather Cream Conditioner - buy the pump-spray bottle for easier application than the cream/paste tub. Good for both leather seats and leather riding gear.

Armor-All for unfinished plastic, hoses, etc. Just don't use it on your seat or tires or grips.

·
Registered
133 Posts
bike and chain always get cleaned together:

kerosene for the chain
simple green for the swingarm/wheels
car wash for the bike
chainwax on chain
honda polish on the rest

·
Registered
353 Posts
S-100 for the bike. Mother's Chrome Polish for the chrome. Last time it got waxed I used Meguier's Gold Class, but have since been converted by NXT on my car.

Belt drive... no maintenance. :D

Cleaning the bike is when I miss my Ninja. Much easier and quicker.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use Honda Cleaner/Polish on the plastic; WD-40 for the chain and wheels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the bike is clean. I took a look through my garage and pulled out the Meguirs soap, polish and wax and did all the plastic, tank, windscreen, and mirrors. I also used some Blue Coral Leather and Vinyl cleaner and conditioner on the seat. The bike looks like glass now. No more fingerprint smudges from all the dudes that threw a leg over her at the dealership. I just used the nylon wheel brush that I use on the car to clean the rims and sidewalls with soap and water. I need to pick up some of that Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to do the cans and I'll be set.

Question, the Hondabrite and other sprays that you folks mentioned, are they like quick detailers or do they clean as well? If they're as easy to use as it sounds I'll have to invest in some for keeping the ride clean in between the deep cleanings. Anyway, the bike is looking sweet and I thank you for all the suggestions to help me keep it that way. :headbang

Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
I usually just use car wash soap on my F2. It works well on my cars and my bike. I also wax the bike quite often since it really makes it shine and is pretty quick and easy to do (at least compared to cars).

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
S100 for the wheels, Kerosene or wd40 for the chain, Zip Wax car wash for everything else. Just bought one of those spray on wipe off cleaners like honda polish haven't tried it yet. I've heard some folks use Pledge.

·
Registered
765 Posts
mcoomer said:
Question, the Hondabrite and other sprays that you folks mentioned, are they like quick detailers or do they clean as well? If they're as easy to use as it sounds I'll have to invest in some for keeping the ride clean in between the deep cleanings. Anyway, the bike is looking sweet and I thank you for all the suggestions to help me keep it that way. :headbang

Mike
Hondabrite is for cleaning, basically the same as S100. If you want an 'in between' cleaner to use after rides, or something similar to Meguiers Quick Detailer - use the Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish or Plexus. They both work equally well, as does the Motul Cleaner/Polish (has teflon). I use the Honda Pro spray because it is much cheaper than the rest and performs equally well. :thumb

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have used nothing but Honda Pro Cleaner Polish (Basically S100) since the bike was new. Otherwise, she has never been wet... Just the spray cleaner and Microfiber cloths.. They make a huge difference IMHO

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been using Zaino.

I just bought some of the Pro Honda stuff though, going to try it out one day this week :D

The Zaino is amazing though. Just need to keep hitting it with the quick detailer.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Mother Chrome poslisher

California Gold

Soap/Water

Chain Lube

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
when i had my bike, power wash & hand scrub with whatever kind of soap we have at work, degreaser on the nasty stuff, zaino on the bodywork afterwards. helps to work at a car wash :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts