Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been watching the local paper/CL/cycle trade and ninjettes and gs500's seem to be rare (no CB250's period). Many of the ninja 250's are being listed at $4000 and 2+ years old.

Then I find this...

2007 Suzuki GS500f

Pros:
- Recommended beginner bike
- Local
- Friends who can ride to test ride it for me and deliver to house, or since it's local maybe the seller can drive it to my house so there aren't any issues with insurance since I won't be purchasing insurance until I have my endorsement (I think).
- Price
- The bike I want

Cons:
- Don't take MSF for another 2 weeks.
- No previous motorcycle experience
- Don't own other gear yet
- Might not be available in 2 weeks, might not see these prices again until fall

I've got a busy schedule but have the money to get jacket/helmet/pants/boots/gloves prior to riding, although I've heard less than stellar things about all our local shops so I'm somewhat leery of dropping big coin. I don't think there is any way around buying a helmet in the local shops though.

General thoughts? Do I just need to sit on my hands and wait for my endorsement? I've got the will power to hold off on riding until everything is kosher. Even with an endorsement and gear I'm not sure I would be able to pick out a bike any more effectively without some real saddle time.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you can work out having someone else ride it to your place I would jump on it. You could probably talk him down to 1800 at least. Try on some helmets at local shops then buy one online. And take one of your riding buddys to look at the bike with you

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you can work out having someone else ride it to your place I would jump on it. You could probably talk him down to 1800 at least. Try on some helmets at local shops then buy one online. And take one of your riding buddys to look at the bike with you
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Definitely take a riding friend with you. I didn't have enough experience riding to test drive the bike I purchased, so I had my friend do it instead. I trusted his opinion on the state of the bike when in motion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
GS500 didn't work out, but I've got full gear MSF under my belt and my endorsement.

Thoughts on this EX500? It's a good 4 hour drive there and another 4 back. Will probably camp and tie some other activities to make the drive out worth it. That said, I'm pretty confident he's lying about it never been laid down since in addition to the dent, it's missing the bottom fender. Hard to say what other BS he'll lie about prior to my long drive.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts