Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of part exchanging my zzr for a sv650s ive herd good things about them,what do you all think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
They are pretty fun in the twisties, and with a Holeshot exhaust sound badass. There is a guy who rides one at the Gap, one of the best sounding twins I've heard.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Great bike, very popular in the UK. Check out
www.sv650.org
Tons of aftermarket stuff available. Needs some suspension upgrades if you're above about 165 lbs (don't know what that is in stones, sorry).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks im from the uk and i know everyone just lately seem to own a sv.would you recomend the new sv or the old one.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
kwak zzr said:
thanks im from the uk and i know everyone just lately seem to own a sv.would you recomend the new sv or the old one.
I have an '00. I've heard good things about the newer ('03+) models. Fuel injection, stiffer frame, etc. Nothing wrong with the old ones and may take a while for all the aftermarket bits to be made for the new ones (don't know for sure though). Older ones obviously cost less. Your choice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It was my first mc. I had a 01 naked. That thing was a riot in the twisties. I miss it all the time. Sounds brillant with a pipe.

Revs fast, turns even quicker. I want one again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love mine to death.

Still in break-in period. I think I have 120 miles on mine now.

Quiet stock with a lobe in the exhaust.... you can tell it's a V-Twin.

Can't wait to put an exhaust on.
:devil

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I've always wanted one. I like the look of the earlier one with the tubular frame better, but the newer ones
run great, too.

There's plenty of aftermarket out there to make these things into wicked fun track toys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
damn....I just got my motorcycle license.
the dealer tells me to get a CB400, but I read alot of good thing about SV650, too.
but will it be too powerful for new rider such as me???

**I am thinking about getting a 03' CB400 VTEC Spec II limited edition (with the classic painting design of the first CB400)..

but I keep thinking about SV650 (latest brand new 04/05 model)

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just got an 03 SV650s as my first bike a week ago. I LOVE IT! It's pretty easy to handle and goes like hell when you want it to! If you are short (under 5' 5" or so) you may need to lower it though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My first bike was a sv650 naked. I loved the hell out of that thing. It has a more relaxed seating compared to my gsxr, and turns so easy. I learned on my sv and didnt have a problum. Just be cautious when you are turning if you are a novice because it has a lot of engine breaking since it is a vtwin so when you let off that throttle it will slow you down quick and you may lose your balance, but it is light enof and friendly so you shouldnt have a probulm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good Bike!! A must get :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool bike but I'm obviously biased. Check out: http://www.svrider.com/phpbb/ for tons more info. But you will need suspension upgrades and IMO the stock exhaust sounds like a lawnmower - I Iended up with a repacked 2 Bros and it sounds badass. You'll need springs if you weigh more than 180lbs and a thicker oil (15-20wt) to help improve the rebound. The rear needs help too. You may not need/want any of these upgrades depending on how you ride. I love my SV and wish I had the extra cash for the 05 S version.....

Hondafan - the SV is my 2nd first bike. I rode almost 10 years ago and got back in about 6 months ago. It's perfect for me but I have a steady throttle hand and weight 240 so it's not so crazy for me.
Pros: fairly light, great brakes (maybe too great for a first bike), and v-twin sound
Cons: Lots of engine braking, touchy throttle, average mileage

Kwak_ZZR - I have the first generation model. They old and new differ in that until 02 they had carbs, no fork adjustments, only preload adjustments in the rear shock, and a better look IMO. The newer models have fuel injection, a bit stiffer frame (that was already pretty stiff), cool LED brake lights, and now have a bunch of aftermarket parts out.

I don't thing you can go wrong with any model or year SV - it's all preference and they're all great choices if you understand their weaknesses. Get one!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want a used one as well for a second bike for transportation/grocery getter. I can't see myself on a cruiser, the light weight and reasonable handling of the sv650 seem to fit what I'm looking for.

Bad for me, good for you if you buy a new one. The second hand SV's seem to sell quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
honda fan

Did you ever decide on a bike? I just got my license in August and bought an '04 SV650S. Great bike for a beginner. 2000 miles later, I've had no problems with mine. It's great on the tightly twisting mountain roads around Denver. My only regret is not being able to test ride a more powerful inline 4 cylinder 600cc sport bike before making a decision.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in line fours are my favorite they make lots of power in the rev range and freely rev anywhere.sv's are different they are built for torque,pulling from low down in the revs.i have sold my zzr now and am looking for a new bike,i have looked at the sv650s,sv1000s,gsxr600 and the tl 1000s.im like a kid in a sweet shop! i dont know what to do ? so for know im saving money and dwelling on what to do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
kwak zzr said:
in line fours are my favorite they make lots of power in the rev range and freely rev anywhere.sv's are different they are built for torque,pulling from low down in the revs.i have sold my zzr now and am looking for a new bike,i have looked at the sv650s,sv1000s,gsxr600 and the tl 1000s.im like a kid in a sweet shop! i dont know what to do ? so for know im saving money and dwelling on what to do.
Sounds like you need to figure out how you won't to ride.
I like all the bikes you mentioned.

The twins run allot different from the inline but you learn the difference pretty quick.
Mostly if you won't ripping power stick with the inline letter bikes.
Revey power go for the 600 inlines
Most usable power are from the twins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts