Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temptation to buy a ~98 GSXR600, or ZXR400 as they are my favourite bikes basically. I just wondered what most accident newbs have on 600's involve? Low speed maneuvering or just plain stupid stuff like throttle control/cornering?

How could you resist?

Attachments

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i thought you had a tiered system in the UK?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Just from what I have seen, I would guess overconfidence gets more riders in trouble.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea you guys are right. Before im allowed out on my bike (im not sitting on a bike until I have the proper training as I wouldn't trust myself) I must take around 8-12 lessons with an instructor, on CG125's in a group.

Once he thinks I am ready, I take a proper test (to show i should be allowed on streets with a bike)and a theory test. If i pass them, i am allowed any bike as long as its under 33bhp. So any bike i buy can have a restrictor kit fitted (Busa's have been kitted :lol ) So at least i wouldn't be totally clueless :cool:

Of course i would not be buying anything over 600, as the insurance for the 600 is about £1800~$3000 so it would be worse for anything larger. No doubt the kit would be removed from the bike after a few weeks (like most riders) so it wouldnt deem the bike too unsafe for that long, just until i got used to the ergonomics of the bike, brakes etc.

Cheers guys.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
do you have any links to "the kits" i've heard of them , but can neve find anything else......

i would think the air-fuel ratios would have to get all messed up tryin to get hp's that low.....

do they retest the bike after you've had it a bit to see if it's still legal (33hp)?

·
Registered
522 Posts
yeah, i'm interested in those restrictor kits as well. it would be weird to have like an R1 putting out only 33hp.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Ego and bad attitude!!

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
I can't see why any of you (in the US) would want a 33hp restricted bike. Doubt you'd be able to get one anyway as it's a UK restriction for young inexperienced riders.

As DazzaP pointed out, we have to be able to jump through hoops to get a licence in the UK.

:)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, i'm just interested in how it works......

funny you guy's want to get rid of the limitations, and were hoping we get them.......lol

also ironic is dazzap has an avatar of Glock, and the gun laws in the UK are much more prohibative then that of the US........ :)

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I agree with racer x, we do need limitations on beginner riders here in the U.S.

on another note, I would go with the zxr400, I think most new guys get into trouble with the bikes power one way or another, and not having to have a certain amount of bike riding instruction other than passing a test to get your license.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You answered your own question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaP
I just wondered what most accident newbs have on 600's involve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaP
No doubt the kit would be removed from the bike after a few weeks

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Getting a bike licence in the UK

As DazzaP has already said....

Everyone has to complete CBT (compulsory basic training) which starts off with basic machine control (in a car park, using bollards etc) and then accompanied by an intructor on the road (with 2-way radio).

After you've completed CBT you're allowed on the road on your own but you have to display 'L' plates.

If you're under 21 you have to be on a bike under 125cc.

You then have 2 years (I think) to take the proper bike test which consists of theory and accompanied (on the road) practical. If you pass this you can ride anything if you're over 21 but if you're under 21 you're restricted to 33bhp until you are 21.

If you're over 21 you can do the CBT on a b***** bike (a lot of the training schools use GS500's or CB500's) and take the test on a bike of at least 46.5bhp, but you have to be accompanied at all times by an instructor, after you've passed the test you can ride whatever you like. - this is called DAS (Direct access scheme).

...I think most of the above is correct but here's a link http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/index.htm

..like I said we have to be able to jump through hoops to get a full licence. !

Personally I think compulsory training is a good idea, I've been on bikes for about 25 years now and when I started you could get a 250, stick 'L' plates on it and away you go. I had a Yam RD250 delivered (I had no idea how to ride) and took it out at night to practice - within 6 weeks I'd trashed the bike and bust both my arms.

One of the problems we have in the UK is BAB's (born again bikers) who had a Z1000/GS1000 or whatever in the 70's/80's and then gave up when they got married/had kids etc. They're now in their 30's or 40's, earn good money and the wife's run off/got divorced/kids left home etc and they have a full licence already and go and buy a Gixer750 or whatever which is an entirely different animal to their last bike.

Youngsters over here would never get insurance on a big sportsbike, I'm in my 40's now and I had trouble getting insured for my FireBlade. I've heard of one 18 yr old lad who paid £1500 third party only for a restricted (33bhp) SV650.

sorry for the long post, cheers all

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is dazzap has an avatar of Glock, and the gun laws in the UK are much more prohibative then that of the US........
Its more of a dream...Although i can still buy and use airsoft firearms, G36c, and Glock 19 hopefully coming soon, if i sell my bike. I want to live in US, so much better. :a2

I've heard of one 18 yr old lad who paid £1500 third party only for a restricted (33bhp) SV650
True that, i was qouted £1400 for the ZXR400, for Third Party Fire and Theft. £800 for same cover on the RS125 which is a darn sight more reasonable.

You answered your own question...
Point taken dude. I think it would be wiser (more fun probably too and develop me into a corner carver rather than a straight line bum) to plump some money down for an RS125, as ive always liked the looks/sound etc of them. Plus with a top speed of 100mph it won't be TOO dangerous.

To be honest i have no idea how the restriction works as im not up on mechanics. What i do know is that with the ZXR, a plug on the carbs is in place IIRC. Also on the NSR125, a welded `bung` in the exhaust, and a changed sprocket tunes it down. The RS comes with a CDI modification, bung in exhaust, and an unplugged rave unit/powervalve. No links im afraid.

Cheers for the help, i suppose i was headed down the wrong path, and being too much of a poser :eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
P.S it just aggrivates me to see guys on this site *no names* ;) at 14/15 with my dream bikes, and ill be 19 before I have any bike at all. I suppose I will be a better rider for not taking the easy road,also the bikes will still be around once im ready, just cheaper. :D

At 14, i would have died on a motorcycle within days, god knows i went squid style on a scooter on holidays i was that dumb once. :mad:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are you people actually ASKING for more government regulation? Be careful what you ask for! I'm a man for personal responsibility. If you're 18 and you want the fastest bike made, go for it. I wouldn't agree with a decision like that but an 18 year old ADULT needs to make his or her own decisions in life. NOT Uncle Sam. I don't want the government telling me I can only have a bike with 40hp because I've only been riding for two years. Do we want the government making all our decisions in life? Sounds kinda like a country we use to call the USSR. My life... my decision.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts