Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe me, I am not asking this in some homosexual way...I was just curious what everyone wears under their leathers. I don't really care for the way the leather feels against my sweaty skin, and was wondering if anyone makes some kind of thin pants that can be worn under leather pants. This may be the dumbest question of all time, but it is just bugging the hell out of me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Not a dumb question. I highly suggest getting an underleather suit. Something similar to Underarmour gear, keeps the sweat from making the leather stick to you, and makes it 1000X easier to get the leathers on and off. Or you can just get the Underarmour boxer briefs, they work well too.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
It's not so dumb that it's been asked many times before. Try the lightest weight "long underwear" you can find at REI or similar. Polyester (or even silk) will absorb moisture and wick it away from your skin for warm weather. Makes it much easier to get leathers off at the end of the day as well. There are a few m/c leather specific under-garments made, but I forget what ther're called. Under Armor maybe? For the money, you can't beat the plain stuff from REI. It comes in different weights for different temps too. Tops as well (long sleeve but light weight even in summer).

Guess you found the other thread. Look at REI though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Does anyone ever wear oversized leathers over jeans or shorts? I don't have any (leather's that is) and i feel that it would be a giant pain in my ass to change when i get to school and when i leave school every day.

·
Ride Twins!
1,957 Posts
You could try athletic shorts.

How far is the commute? If it's fairly close, I'd probably just stick with jeans, or some reinforced denim pants. Maybe go for some shin/knee armor.

·
Registered
365 Posts
emw said:
How far is the commute?
That really has no effect on what you should wear. Your odds of taking a spill on a 5 min ride are the same as a 4 hour ride. Yes you are on the road longer which ups your chances for crashing, but the excuse "I was only going to work" is used by a lot of rashed up riders.

I only change the gear I wear depending on the TYPE of riding I plan to do and for weather changes.

·
Ride Twins!
1,957 Posts
TFin04 said:
That really has no effect on what you should wear.
True, but it happens anyway, whether it's for a good reason or not is left up to the rider.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I wear Danskins workout capris and either a long sleeve top or tank top. The material wicks, so I don't get all sticky and sweaty and dirty and hot.... oh! sorry, I got carried away. :biggrinag

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't know how good i'd look in workout capris... :) I've been riding for years with nothing more than a helmet but i know it's inevitable that someone's going to smash into me one day, so i'd like to be prepared. It is true that most accidents happen within a relatively short distance from your origination. (i'm not going to bother validating that, google it if you're bored)

Many years ago I was hit by a car while on a bicycle and ended up with peices of denim embedded into my flesh. Wasn't fun. Anyway. I'm still looking into the oversized pants idea. They'd need to fasten to my shoes / riding boots i guess.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
acalliste said:
I wear Danskins workout capris and either a long sleeve top or tank top. The material wicks, so I don't get all sticky and sweaty and dirty and hot.... oh! sorry, I got carried away. :biggrinag
Yeah, I'm sure that you're sorry..... HA!:eek:nfloor

Niceties having now been observed, PLEASE tell us more!!!:banana :eatpop

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I can't say anything more about it until you pay your subscription. :D

:joke

·
Registered
448 Posts
willpower101 said:
Does anyone ever wear oversized leathers over jeans or shorts? I don't have any (leather's that is) and i feel that it would be a giant pain in my ass to change when i get to school and when i leave school every day.
This is what I wear over jeans or other pants while I commute to work. They're easy to get on and off and tuck into my boots. There's knee armor but no hip armor (there may be a pocket for it though). Now I just need to have the matching zipper sewn into my jacket.

Frank Thomas Strike 2 Aqua Overpant

·
Registered
179 Posts
After valentines day they had a sale on the elephant underwear with the trunk on the front. It was such a deal I picked up three. That’s what I wear under my leathers. :eek:nfloor

Actually - I wear shorts and under amour shirt. I ride road bicycles too and found that the bicycle shorts are great for endurance racing. They started selling them as motorcycle shorts this year. They are just bicycle shorts.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I bought a knock off of underarmour at walmart - long sleeve shirts and some shorts - and wear those when it is hot under my textiles. Under my leathers, I'll wear the long sleeve shirts and some long under-armour knock off pants I got from Dick's Sporting goods.

I can't imagine wearing all your 'regular' clothing under leathers. When it's hot out, your under clothes would be so sweaty, you'd want to change anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts