Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any pointers with slippery stuff in the way of turns. From my experience there are two ways to do it, straighten the bike up, slow down and go over slow or just get through it as smoothly as possible with the throttle cracked on to keep traction on the rear tire. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Of course you could just avoid it but thats not the point here...

I just layed my bike down on some gravel at like 5-10 mph and it scratched the bike up pretty good and I was just trying to get some advice for myself and for others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I come across some sand or gravel in the line of my turn, I ease up on the throttle and try not to lean into the turn as much if that makes any sense... Sometimes you don't have enough time to correct it no matter how skilled a rider you are. Keep your eyes out ahead of you to see the hazard before you're right on top of it if you can.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, basically try and get and keep your bike as vertical as possible before you "hit" the stuff.once your in the stuff keep the same position, don't brake, don't accel, don't turn more then already doing......

·
Registered
346 Posts
When in a turn I try to let off the throttle a bit to bleed some speed off and bring the bike a little more upright. Had the rear step out a few inches one time but thats it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I hang on for dear life and hope my personal protective equipment works!

J/K...just keep the bike upright. If you are in a hard turn, just reduce the lean angle as much as you safely can.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My subdivision has roads that have a lot of sand... I expect this and take the turns slowly and upright.

If you're railing through a turn and are surprised by gravel or sand, pre ride the road so there is less chance you're surprised by sand or gravel...

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I don't think anything else can be said, everything has been covered.

* Always look seconds ahead for possible road hazards
* If unavoidable, lay off throttle, straighten up as much as possible and relax
* If in a turn and surprised by a harzard, reduce lean angle as much as possible, and lay off the throttle and barely use the front and rear brake if at all.

I was out running an 11 mile twisty road the other day and I came up on one point where there was dirt and gravel on the whole side of the road I was travelling. I was doing about 70mph, but I saw the dirt trail in time to do a quick dual brake (both brakes) before going into the turn, let off the brakes and entered the turn at about 25-30mph and managed to make it through unscathed. I would have hated to go down for something like that. Hell, I don't want to go down at all what am I talking about?! :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does anyone have any tips for riding on gravel roads? Common sense says go very slow but I live on about a 1/2 mile gravel road and will be getting a 250 ninja this fall. Any pointers would be very helpful.

Jayson

·
Registered
452 Posts
TheHub02ss said:
Does anyone have any tips for riding on gravel roads? Common sense says go very slow but I live on about a 1/2 mile gravel road and will be getting a 250 ninja this fall. Any pointers would be very helpful.

Jayson
Ride slowly and at a constant speed... accelerating too much may cause the rear wheel to start slipping. If you have to turn, keep the speed way down and try to keep it as upright as possible. Also, don't mash the brakes, they'll lock up pretty easily on gravel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The road in front of my house right now is ripped up because they're doing construction and I have to ride over it everyday. It's fairly hard packed gravel. It's not a big deal at all, I usually do 50-60 km/h on it and stay in good control.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmm, I usually open the throttle a bit. It's happened a few times too me, and I'd much rather have the back tire step out a bit, than have the front tire slip at all (when you roll off the throttle, engine braking seems to put the weight up front.)

If I'm riding at a quick pace, and I see it in time, I usually hang myself more off the bike.. it lowers the center of gravity and allows more of my tire to be touching the road. DO NOT do this if you're not comfortable hanging off, if you're jerky at all on the bike, while going over gravel, you will probably crash.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
TheHub02ss said:

Jayson
Take your time..As traction will be limited don't do anything steering, cornering or braking unless it's smooth.
Look well ahead and for slowing use a bit more rear brake. Keep your rpms down a bit and try to ride on the harder packed portion.
Avoid deep gravel and don't panic.
Keep your knees in and "be one with your bike"

Or get a dual purpose such as a KLR 250 and enjoy the stuff.

On the street or Hwy, it's a good idea to look as far ahead to spot stuff early enough to avoid it in the first place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think everyone has covered the majority....Deep gravel is the devil, constant speed, slow accel, and soft easy braking...(preferably engine braking) Also, depending on what you ride, be ready to pop your foot down if you start to fall...There's lots of gravel on the roads here when spring comes around, so I've had to get used to giving a quick slam of my foot on the ground if I start to go over. DON'T keep your foot down (remember you're still moving) but just snap yourself up a bit out of your lean. Oh, and keep in mind what will happen to your steering when you do--less lean=less turn. Be prepared to steer more at slow speed with the bars instead of heavy lean. Just my .02

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thing to do when riding a gravel road-- get up off the seat. Don't stand all the way up on the pegs.. just lift your butt up an inch or two, especially in the rougher stretches. And keep your grip on the bars firm, but relaxed-- keep your elbows bent. This will help you "smooth out" the bumps and jitters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts