Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the posts here about "what should I get" and "why are you saying it's bad that I bought an 04 R1 as my first bike" etc. I think we should see what everyone else, especially those of us who try to convince people to buy 250's and 500's as their first bike started out on.

Personally I started on a 1991 Ninja EX500. The same damn bike that I reccomend to newbies, so I do practice what I preach.

edit: just to clarify, this means what was YOUR first street bike, I don't care if you rode a friend's bike (unless it for like 2 years), I'm talking about the first bike you owned and truly learned to ride on! :angry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kawi 600E, Even if its an E, I took a few spills in the parking lot. Evantually I sign up the MSF with their 250's. Moved up to the F4i after a few hundred miles. Since all my riding buddies had liter bikes. (that is not a good excuse,... allright I WANTED a F4i) After a few years of riding I still think there is planty of power in the 600 in-line or 750 V-twin. If i have a chance to get new bikes it will be 600rr or 749.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Suzuki SV650S

I'd recommend it to any other new rider who has spent some time in the dirt, or is getting back into the sport after not riding for a long time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
1991 Ex-500. :headbang
Rode a borrowed Ninja 250 for about six months after MSF until I got my bike.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
1989 ex500. put 6 or 7k miles on that in my first riding season, then bought my 954 over the winter. i had such a blast on that EX.

Attachments

·
Banned
730 Posts
Kawasaki 500 two-stroke triple. :twofinger Sometimes a Norton 750 Commando, but mostly the triple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started on a '80 Yamaha 400 "special 2"
It wasn't a really good-looking bike, nor a fast bike-but it was mine :D

I finally had to get rid of the poor beastie after both of my brothers and myself learned to ride on it. There were very few bits that weren't tweaked or oughtright broken ; ;

·
Registered
122 Posts
I started out on a 98' 900RR, never been on a bike before at all, it was a little much, but I handled it just fine, and after one summer I jumped to the 954 and been there ever since. But I do wish I would have started on something smaller like a 600 maybe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Started on a 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750. Man I wish I still had that bike...

1 - 20 of 185 Posts