Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about the cost of commuting to get to work and the (luckily since I only ride my motorcycle) relatively small drain it has on my finances. But it's money I'm making from work just to turn around and, for all intents and purposes, putting right back toward work. It made me think about how much of my paycheck is lost on work-related expenses. Between commuting, wear and tear on the bike or car, uniform items, tools, eating out or at the cafeteria, etc. are you spending more money to work than on other things you enjoy?

Edit: I'll add union dues to the list too because I forgot. And work phones/phone calls. Dry cleaning.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I don't think I'm spending more to work than on other things I enjoy...

...but I definitely am spending more to work than I would like to.

My commute is about a total of 100 miles or so everyday. The car gets about 32 miles to the gallon, so I'm using about 3 gallons of gas everyday. At $4 per gallon that's $12 just in gas to get there everyday. Lucky for me I only drive every other day because I car pool...so it averages out to $6 a day in gas for every day of the week.

Uniforms are provided completely free of charge for my job, so that's not a big deal. I do have to buy the random pair of shoes every now and then, but they last me about a year so it's pretty marginal.

I usually just have a peanut butter sandwich, pretzels, and applesauce for lunch, which I bring myself. I pay around $10 a week for the stuff I take for lunch, so that's about $2 a day. Then I drink probably about three 20 oz bottles of soda, which cost me another $4 or so everyday. So that's about $6 a day for food and drink.

So I probably spend close to $12 a day to get to work and make it through the day. Granted, it's more when I drive and less when I don't...but on average that would be the total.

When I think about it like this, I really need to cut the soda cost somehow. The price I'm paying for soda is 33% of what my average daily cost is. I guess I should start thinking about getting just a two liter or something...that would only be like $1.50.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looking at my card usage, I'm dropping about $1000 on gas ($4/gal. 17 mpg), $770 on payments and $107 for full insurance coverage, every month on a 4 door Toyota Tundra.
I wish I could use my motorcycle, gas is 1/3 and time spent on the road is also 1/3 the truck.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I only work 3 days/wk (full-time), A full tank of gas on the bike is ~$15 so that's all i spend on my commute. very cheap!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i go about 60 miles round trip i figure counting gas tires and extra depreciation it costs me a bit over $10 to take the bike and about $15 to drive a day as for food i usually bring it with me so it doesn't cost me any more than if i was at home

·
Registered
941 Posts
$4 in gas and $5 in food per day. compressed shift (12hr shifts) works out to 14 days a month. So like $126 a month if I can ride everyday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I work 8days on 6days off, I have to fill my bike up twice every 8days which comes to about 35$ in gas per shift. and i take my lunch to work every night. pretty cheap.

mean while i am still paying $300 a month for my 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4, that is sitting in the drive way. And $400 a month to pay off the bike, and about $120 in insurance

I'm glad i can ride my bike to work !

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Fuel $15 a month
Washing work clothes $15-20
I dont know how to figure in insurance so I will say 30% of what I pay so $60

I eat for free while I am there, but I really dont think that should be included in "work costs"

So about $105 a month. But I work five days a week. I can wait till I go to work to eat, then eat again right before I am off holding me over till the next day. So how much do I save a month on food? I also drink half off at work. So friends want to go out, watch a game only on the NFL network, etc I go to work and save money on drinks I would have paid full price for somewhere else.

Oh and if I rode the bike to work I think I could cut my fuel down to about $5 a month.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
If I had to pay for gas it would be $350+ a month and food is less than $5 a day so it really isn't that much anymore. Truck takes the biggest hit with the drive every day.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Commuting cost and time is why I'm now working from home. I was looking at approximately $1000 a month either way for parking/train/subway or gas/tolls/parking/maintenance. I think I factored lunch in the city ($20 a day) into the equation, but yea, commuting would consume a major chunk of change and a significant amount of time (6 hrs a day). In the age of technology, there's no reason more people can't work from home. I rolled out of bed today at 7:15, made/ate breakfast, checked the boards and am gunna start work by 7:30.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Depends on what I drive. But I'm anal about numbers, so I'll itemize:

Scenario 1: GTO
Miles round-trip - 40
MPG - 18
Assumed fuel cost - $3.80/gal
Cost for fuel - $8.44/day
Vehicle's purchase price - $22,000
Expected life before major repairs - 120,000 miles
Cost per mile - $0.18
Cost per round-trip - $7.33
Cost of maintenance - ~$1.30/day (oil and tires)
Total cost ignoring the cost of my time - $17.07/day

Scenario 2: Ducati ST4s
Miles round-trip - 44
MPG - 50
Assumed fuel cost - $3.80/gal
Cost for fuel - $3.344/day
Vehicle's purchase price - $14,500
Expected life before major repairs - 100,000 miles
Cost per mile - $0.145
Cost per round-trip - $6.38
Cost of maintenance - $9.152/day (oil, tires, valves, etc.)
Total cost ignoring the cost of my time - $18.88/day

Scenario 3: Yamaha (Star) Midnight Warrior
Miles round-trip - 44
MPG - 40
Assumed fuel cost - $3.60/gal
Cost for fuel - $3.96/day
Vehicle's purchase price - $13,000
Expected life before major repairs - 100,000 miles
Cost per mile - $0.13
Cost per round-trip - $5.72
Cost of maintenance - $5.13/day (oil, tires, valves, etc.)
Total cost ignoring the cost of my time - $14.81/day

As far as clothing goes, it's not much. Expensive suits last forever and are used rarely, so a simple shirt/tie/slacks/shoes combo goes a long way. The cost for these is maybe a dollar a day.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
I drive about 125 miles total commuting everyday. The car gets about 33 mpg, the bike gets around 60+. I also set aside about $10 for food and a snack everyday. Typically, I get about $250 every other paycheck, and that will last me until the next paycheck. If the weather is good and I can ride the bike more, I have extra money when I get paid again. I just spend it.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My take on eating food at work is the quality of food you eat is probably much poorer than what you would fix at home. How many people have been vending machine warriors through deadlines and important projects? How many people's lunch time is so compressed they run down the street to get McyDeath's instead of making something much better from home? How many people need a beer or two when they get home just to help them decompress? See what I mean?

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
I use less than 4 gallons of gas a week and take my lunch everyday except on my friday and that is the night I eat lunch with a high school buddy that I work with. Now if I take the car the gas is a little more, maybe 6-7 gallons.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Man I thought I didnt like my 20 mile roundtrip commute. Whys everyone live so far away from work?

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
Man I thought I didnt like my 20 mile roundtrip commute. Whys everyone live so far away from work?
Less crime and better school districts for me. I can let my kids play in my nice big yard and not have to worry. They can ride their bikes on the streets to go to the park or swimming pool. I wish I could live closer to work sometimes but it would not be worth it. I actually lived about 5 miles from work a few years back, but when you go outside and find a bullet hole in your carport and van it's time to move on out.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
eh flying bullets build character! and track running skills! lol

I do understand that. I was always allowed to ride my bike wherever and go places with my friends. I wouldnt want it any other way for my kids.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's cheaper for me. the houses around the neighborhood where I work costs between $2-11 million, and rent tries to reflect that. I've been in one of the apartments, and the shitty construction and materials makes me think it's worth about 1/3 of what they're asking of tenants. So paying $860 a year in gas still beats the extra $4,000-6,000 I'd wind up paying in rent.

·
IM A DAD
1,627 Posts
I use about 1 gallon each day.
I actually eat a lunch "maybe" 3 times a week. cheap food like kfc snackers.
So im only spending about 29.00 a week so i can get to and function at work.
Redbulls were killing me untill i broke the habbit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts