Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a bikenight recently and was surprised to hear the property manager insisting that the cops had showed up the week before encouraging guys to stunt. No :bs , that's what he really said. Call me crazy, but I didn't want to personally test his honesty with a trip to jail so I had to just take his word for it. Anybody have a cop encourage them to stunt before?

I have, however, been encouraged to lane split by a motorcycle cop once. I was lane splitting and didn't really notice him until I had already passed the car directly behind him. I slowed down (as I passed him) but stayed behind the car he was following. He sped up next to me and over his loud speaker thing I hear him say "By all means go ahead and lane split, don't mind me".

I reluctantly did as I was instructed and had the best laugh when a taxi cut me off over the double yellow of the carpool lane just in time to be lit up by the motorcycle cop. :eek:nfloor :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Never been encourage to stunt. But I am pretty sure that in Cali it is perfectly legal to lane split in congested traffic situation, but by all means someone correct me if I am wrong.
 

·
Ghost GTO
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
what exactly is lane splitting
 

·
They call me a ride whore
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
Ghost GTO said:
what exactly is lane splitting
Lane splitting is riding between lanes of traffic


Can't say I've ever heard of cops encouraging stunting or lane splitting. It's illegal here, so I guess that's why
 

·
"MAVERICK" OF EX-MODS
Joined
·
23 Posts
Lane sharing (spliting) is legal in California. I've had a CHP motorcop pull me over for a wheelie, congratulate me on my form, and let me go. I've also had SPs, when I was in the Air Force, me ask me to wheelie for them.
 

·
Hardass!
Joined
·
8,085 Posts
They encourage all the time, when they hide behind buildings of main drags waiting for the roar of the sportbike.
Thats encouraging right?
 

·
Ghost GTO
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
lol guess thats why i never heard it, its most likely illegal here in Iowa!! hahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
the dj at bike night that I go to kinda encourages stuntin and does warn when the cops are coming although one night the cop kinda popped in without warning and some people where still stuntin, one guy was doing a burn out and the cop pulled up behind him and everyone was trying to warn him but he didn't get the hint the cop just sit there until he stopped, I dont think anyone got tickets or anything but it did put the stuntin on hold for about 20 minutes while the cop sit there, but once he was gone the DJ let us know that it was time to get back out on the road hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I have! I have!

I was once pulled over by Rutgers U. police for doing 50 mph in a 35 zone on my way to class. Mind you, the officer was a real police officer and not a rinky dink campus rent-a-cop. I apoligized to him as soon as he walked over and remained calm and polite when he asked me if I knew what the speed limit was. I told him I'd do 35 next time I came through and he turned to me before walking away and replied with a grin, "Next time do a wheelie".

Pretty cool cop. Encouraged me to do a wheelie and didn't even give me a ticket for speeding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
pwang said:
I have! I have!

I was once pulled over by Rutgers U. police for doing 50 mph in a 35 zone on my way to class. Mind you, the officer was a real police officer and not a rinky dink campus rent-a-cop. I apoligized to him as soon as he walked over and remained calm and polite when he asked me if I knew what the speed limit was. I told him I'd do 35 next time I came through and he turned to me before walking away and replied with a grin, "Next time do a wheelie".

Pretty cool cop. Encouraged me to do a wheelie and didn't even give me a ticket for speeding.
interesting..
 

·
From back in da' day
Joined
·
2,777 Posts
i had a cop tell me he would let me off of a speeding ticket (89 in a 45) if i could honestly do "one of those front end wheelies where its on the front wheel" so i rocked a pretty long endo (in a parking lot where he pulled me over) and finished off with a "perfect 10" (endo to wheelie) and then catch it at balance point and slow it down and then hit the bar and pulled off an "apehanger" ...the cop was like "WOW" i said "theres some extra credit for next time you see me:)"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
SicR6 said:
I have, however, been encouraged to lane split by a motorcycle cop once. I was lane splitting and didn't really notice him until I had already passed the car directly behind him. I slowed down (as I passed him) but stayed behind the car he was following. He sped up next to me and over his loud speaker thing I hear him say "By all means go ahead and lane split, don't mind me".
I suspect he may have had a hint of sarcasm in his tone? Its legal here in Cali, but often it seems to leave you open to a reckless driving charge if a cop doesn't like your "technique". I'll lane split (at low speed) in bumper to bumper backed up traffic, but I won't pull up front at every stop light like some do, to me that just seems rude and doesn't help with the bad opinion many drivers already have of us 'cause of the squids.
 

·
ZRO BLNG
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
Had motorcycle cop tell me lanesplitting will get me home from work in 10 minutes vs. 45 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
04Kanotuna said:
I suspect he may have had a hint of sarcasm in his tone? Its legal here in Cali, but often it seems to leave you open to a reckless driving charge if a cop doesn't like your "technique".
That's what had me concerned seeing how I was going ..... hmmm ... a little fast as I passed that last car that was behind him. I would have had to brake pretty hard to not pass by him which is why I kinda backed off the throttle as I passed him but stayed behind the car he was following. I've also heard different opinions about how a cop will react to splitting traffic in and out of the carpool lane, which is what I was doing. After he gave me the 'ok' to lane split I passed the car in front of us but stayed within the double yellow lines just to be safe.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top