Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just wondering what kind of sport bikes on the freeway you would need to be that kind of rider where people who are in the car think this person is gonna die. Or think this person is crazy.

I see them and they really don't phase me because they know that my car is there. If my parents see them, they can't help to say something like this guy is gonna die then think this is exactly what I'm doing. Well, if this is what I wanted to do, I wouldn't have gotten a sport commuter bike. They are taking a little more risk, but I never seen one die in front of my eyes. If the cars are cruising at speeds of 60-80mph that would appear green on google maps, I usually just keep with the flow of traffic.

Would a Ninja 650 be capable of being as fast as those sport bike riders who are flying at high speeds on the freeway? Like the kinds of speeds where startled car drivers will think "this person is gonna die" or "this person is crazy". I personally don't think it's possible or else I would have considered a ZX Ninja type bike or an R1.

So yeah, would you need to buy a ZX or R1 or GSXR type bike to be one of those guys flying down the freeway?

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
So just wondering what kind of sport bikes on the freeway you would need to be that kind of rider where people who are in the car think this person is gonna die. Or think this person is crazy.

I see them and they really don't phase me because they know that my car is there. If my parents see them, they can't help to say something like this guy is gonna die then think this is exactly what I'm doing. Well, if this is what I wanted to do, I wouldn't have gotten a sport commuter bike. They are taking a little more risk, but I never seen one die in front of my eyes. If the cars are cruising at speeds of 60-80mph that would appear green on google maps, I usually just keep with the flow of traffic.

Would a Ninja 650 be capable of being as fast as those sport bike riders who are flying at high speeds on the freeway? Like the kinds of speeds where startled car drivers will think "this person is gonna die" or "this person is crazy". I personally don't think it's possible or else I would have considered a ZX Ninja type bike or an R1.

So yeah, would you need to buy a ZX or R1 or GSXR type bike to be one of those guys flying down the freeway?
Just twist the wrist until you're moving faster.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Acceleration and transition are more important then HP. Stability is more important then everything else except maybe SA. Done well, High speed lane splitting is safer then riding in a parking lot during the after work rush hour.
The cagers are looking for a parking spot close to the door. They will get in fistfights over it. They are not looking for motorcycles and wouldn't care if they see one.
Lane splitting requires control. The advantage of a motorcycle is it's width. Mine (FZ-6) is 29.5 inches wide. I can put it through a 36" gap at 100 mph. 40 years ago, it would have been a 30"gap. Eyes aren't what they once were.
There is a 'trick' of course to shooting the gap at speed. It is the same trick you use every day you ride. A motorcycle goes where you look. You have to look through the gap, to where you want to come out. Your hindbrain (subconscious) will do the calculations to get you and your bike to where you looked.
Bike MUST be stable. By stable I mean you can let go the bars at 80 or better without have the bike do anything dubious. I have riders of the web tell me I'm crazy but I think the more overtake speed you have, the better. Up to a point, of course. You may find lane splitting thrilling but the thrill wears off. Do it to find a hole in traffic. Traffic travels in packs (herds?schools? infestations?) Get between two and ride where you have room to generate a miss.
You can practice lane control and should. Never wander a lane, Pick a side or the center and stay there. If you can find a safe place to do it, ride in the motorcycle passing lane. That is the place between the double (paired) yellow lines. You should be able to ride there without touching a yellow line. Keep you grip loose (relaxed, no death grip on the bars) and you will feel it when your tire touches the yellow line.
As far as looking past the gap, get some cones, find an empty parking lot and practice. It is the same thing at 20 mph as 120 mph. Only faster. No different in principal.

We have gotten 7" of rain in the last 6 hours and it is really starting to come down now. So if the helocopter doesn't pluck me off my roof, I can die thinking something I wrote might help our special snowflake survive long enough to get some sense.:eek:nfloor

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Some of the fastest daily commuters I've seen were on ninja 250s (605 405 area) and harleys (110 405 710)...and yea, splitting lanes very fast.

Have you started riding yet? You say so but you don't sound like it. What car drivers think doesn't matter because we are invisible.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
How many times do you say "think" in your posts? Why do you create threads about what people think, only to shit on replies you get from this forum on what we think?

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Bacon...definitely bacon!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
What the H311 is a sport commuter bike?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Some of the fastest daily commuters I've seen were on ninja 250s (605 405 area) and harleys (110 405 710)...and yea, splitting lanes very fast.

Have you started riding yet? You say so but you don't sound like it. What car drivers think doesn't matter because we are invisible.
What he doesn't yet realize, is that we've already answer this question to some degree in all of the other posts that he's already asked about splitting lanes, faster bikes, and stupid shit.

To actually answer the question:

Experience you fuckwad. When you get some experience of actually doing it, you'll get faster. Right now you're scared, you don't know how to ride, you obviously don't know your gears/rpms, or how wide your bike is. Also, you're probably one of the assholes that I've been jamming past with inches to spare because they won't get the fuck out of the way. I'm glad that you're splitting safely at 25 mph, but I'm faster and I have more experience, so move over. I'll be glad when it gets cold again, there will be less of you idiots in my way.

/thread

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What the H311 is a sport commuter bike?
A supersport or superbike with high bars and low pegs. Yamaha invented this category with the FZ-1 as a marketing tool. Originally, it was an R1 that a middle aged man could ride someplace besides to the chiropractor's office.
Yamaha upgraded the R1 and had all these parts left over.....
Also called a 'parts bin special' or a budget bike. That last because while the engines are essentially the same the Frame and Suspension are NOT. Brakes are normally cheaper.
This started more of less in the mid to late 90's, when all the young men turned on by motorcycles by the Honda 750 were middle aged. The UJM or standard motorcycle had basically vanished.
The biggest single problem young men in their 20's have is they think they will stay in their 20's forever. I laugh at them now because I will be dead and gone by the time they are in their 40's.
Ah yes, the mid 40's. When your teenage about to be a man son tells you he wants to be just like you when he grows up and you know you are being hustled for the car keys and date money. When you check your 14 year old daughter at least once a day to make sure she hasn't acquired a tattoo on her a$$. Never mind that her mother has one. That is 'different'.
You hair is wandering toward the back of your head and your reflexes are no longer fast enough to slide a condom on a rattlesnake in mid strike. Having your head up so you can 'read' traffic is way kool. Your knees get stiff so lower pegs mean you don't have to move them as much to reach the ground.
But the commuter bike still has that 130hp of a superbike, even though the factory tries to hide it. It doesn't handle or stop like a superbike but that's ok. You leathers didn't fit the last time you tried them on a decade ago. The scale says they won't fit today either. So you are not going to track the bike. You are going to commute on it. :leaving

Reactions: PCHbreeze
1 - 20 of 28 Posts