Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was riding down WestBypass to my softball game, an old lady in a brand new white Mercedes decided to cross from the right lane over to the left lane....the only problem was that I was right next to her in the left lane. I was about 2 feet from her window and blipped the throttle several times but she was to busy talking on her cell phone to pay any attention to me. I was forced to get on the brakes pretty hard to avoid being pushed into the concrete medium. Even after I got behind her and got over on her passenger side and blipped the throttle several times, she still never even looked over once. Keep in mind that I've got a Jardine RT-1 race baffle pipe on my bike so it's loud as hell.

This kind of stuff seems to happen to me about once a month......is this common for you guys also, or am I just really unlucky? I'm a very defensive rider, and try to not get in spots that I can't get out of in a hurry...but sometimes there is just nowhere to go.

What are some of the close calls you guys have had with stupid drivers ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Today while driving through my small town I had a lady, after looking right into my eyes, turn right onto the street I was going down at 40 mph in front of me from about 20 feet away. Got my ass into the turn lane and got around her, because I didnt think I could stop in time. Gave her a wave (with more than one finger) and kept going to work.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That seems to happen at least once a week with me and 9 times out of 10 it's the cell phone that's the problem.

·
Registered
896 Posts
alaska cajun said:
That seems to happen at least once a week with me and 9 times out of 10 it's the cell phone that's the problem.

+1 to that. I am a firm believer in the "Hang up the *$#@ing phone and DRIVE" mantra.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
That kinda stuff happens to me on a nearly daily basis, and nobody ever hears my horn (must add air horn!!). The last one somebody cut me off I hit the brakes and layed on the horn, and then they saw me cuz they kinda hesitated halfway, but instead of moving back over and letting me go by, they just continued to cut me off as originally planned. IDIOTS!! :ar

Another one that sticks in my mind was an Astro van that I was right next to (literally) on the highway. He was in an exit only lane, and apparently wanted over. He had his window down and I was right next to him almost even with his driver side window. Going along and all of a sudden he just jerks it over hardcore, so I lay on the horn and move over nearly onto the white lines, and he never even slowed down or hesitated, just came flying right over. How you can't hear a motor spinning at 7,000 rpm AND a horn right out your OPEN window is beyond me. He never even moved back over to let me go by, I had to get in front of him on the white lines.

Then there was the volvo wagon that almost rear ended me, sitting in traffic behind an F-150 that just did a quick stop, look in my rearview and see this volvo with all 4 locked up and smoke everywhere, starting to slide sideways heading right for me. Luckily he stopped in plenty of time, which is good cuz I was still stuck in 2nd gear from just doing a quick stop and not being able to get all the way down to 1st yet.

Ahhhhh sooo many idiotas!! I wish I could mount a cannon or machine gun on my tank, LOL! There's countless other incidents as well, but those are a few that stick out in my mind. Somebody in a Buick pulled out in front of me today, but at least they saw me as they were pulling out (it was kind of a blind curve) and they pulled straight onto the shoulder to let me go by, so at least that was nice of them. Next one that cuts me off hardcore is getting a foot in their door!! Gotta put my steel toe boots to good use somewhere ;)

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've had alot of close calls w/people driving and talking on their phone and not paying attention. The only really other close call I can remember off hand was w/a buzzard flying in front of me off the side of the road and I hit it w/the screen on my RC which deflected the damn bird onto my helmet, it could have been alot worse than a cracked screen and buzzard shit on my lid.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was going 40mph down a 4 lane road. I came to an intersection and noticed a white van in the other lane, with it's turn single stoped at the stoplight waiting to turn left. As I came upon this van it jumped out in front of me taking a left. Which put me in a situation where I had to break hard. I locked up the back tire badly. It ended up throwing my legs off the pegs and throwing me foward a bit, but I kept the bike up and went straight back home.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
TRUST ME when i tell you they WILL look when you break out a window or knock off a mirror. "I was trying desperately to get her attention Officer" is the line if we do have to stop. Hasnt failed me yet. Especially in combination with "She couldnt hear me because she was jabbering on her cell phone and not watching where she was going"

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
that shit happens so much it's rediculous....friggen cagers need to get a clue....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Happens to me on nearly a daily basis. I use my horn almost daily to avoid an accident both on my bike or in my car. Even when I lay on the horn they keep on coming into my lane and force me on to the shoulder or into a panic braking situation. Then they flip me off.

This type of stuff happened to me maybe once every 2-3 months in every other place I've lived. This has to be be the alsolute worst place in the country to drive. Traffic laws don't mean a damn thing because enforcement is non-existant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was on Woodruff Rd, a four lane road (2 lanes each direction), in the left lane with no traffic around me. The stoplight ahead turned yellow, so I started braking. Just as I stopped, a white Chevy truck blew past me on the right about a foot away. If I hadn't been in the left-hand part of the lane, he would have hit me doing probably 45-50mph. I don't know what he was thinking, he either didn't see me stopped or was simply trying to run the redlight. Either way it scared the hell out of me. It had my adrenaline going as I sat at the light watching the truck up ahead stopped at the next light.

I now understand what you guys mean when you are pissed enough to want to drag someone out of their vehicle and proceed to hand their ass to them.

The guy in the truck was apparently headed in the same direction merging onto the interstate down the road, he made it a high priority to stay well ahead of me in traffic by cutting other cars off to keep ahead. I had hoped to get his license plate, but could never get close enough.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ok check this out, about three weeks ago, i was leaving bike night at hooters, i was on a three lane road and there was some construction going on in the far right lane. An old lady in a little toyota was in the right lane, almost in my blind spot, she ran over like four cones, and almost hit the workers, then she swerved over into my lane behind me. The light up ahead turned yellow, so i stopped. I look in the mirror and she was still coming in hot, so i pulled right out into the intersection and out of her way. Just as she got to the white line she locked up her brakes and slid through the intersection. If I didn't see her coming i would have been sitting in her windshield.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't had any close calls with cars yet(then again I have only been riding a week). Yesterday coming into a left turn i noticed a lot of gravel on the road. Luckily I wasn't going too fast because it was a construction zone. I went into the turn at about 10mph. My rear tire started sliding out but somehow I kept it under control and rode away.

·
Registered
501 Posts
this week a lady almost took me out as she was exiting the parking garage during morning rush hour, I had the right of way. she braked and so did I, she stopped and I swerved around her.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm AMAZED that so many folks are having daily close calls. WTF? If you're having close calls on a daily basis, then you might want to take a step back and evaluate your riding habits - I bet you aren't really riding as defensively as you think you are, and you're putting yourself into at least some of these "close call" situations.

I ride every day and have put on about 13,000 miles in the past year on two different bikes. This includes daily rush-hour commuting on Massachusetts highways chock-full of SUVs being "driven" by idiots on cellphones.

I can count the number of close calls I've had on one hand.

9 out of 10 times you can identify the conditions that will precipitate a threat before it becomes a close call or worse, if you're paying attention and expect the worst. All other vehicles on the road have to be evaluated as a potential threat; trust nobody.

Bitching about idiot drivers after the fact is useless - it doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong, only who's left. Folks, don't let 'em get ya!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went through a period where it seemed like I would get this kind of stuff all the time. However now I have a strategy that is working for me. If I cant see at least 4 car lengths agead of myself clearly I pass to get it that way...in otherwords I put EVERYONE behind me no matter the speed...it seems to work well for me...on a side note, saw a sticker the other day "Could you be a better driver if that phone was up your ASS?!?!" LOL

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
bajjer9 said:
I went through a period where it seemed like I would get this kind of stuff all the time. However now I have a strategy that is working for me. If I cant see at least 4 car lengths agead of myself clearly I pass to get it that way...
+1

Even better than counting car lengths is counting SECONDS. The faster you're going, the b***** the buffer you need - counting seconds automatically adjusts your buffer for speed. If you can't see stuff that is 4 or less seconds ahead of you - wether it's because you're behind an SUV on the highway or there's a truck partially blocking your view of an intersection you're approaching - you're setting yourself up for a closecall or worse.

·
Registered
426 Posts
F&D said:
I'm AMAZED that so many folks are having daily close calls. WTF? If you're having close calls on a daily basis, then you might want to take a step back and evaluate your riding habits - I bet you aren't really riding as defensively as you think you are, and you're putting yourself into at least some of these "close call" situations.

I ride every day and have put on about 13,000 miles in the past year on two different bikes. This includes daily rush-hour commuting on Massachusetts highways chock-full of SUVs being "driven" by idiots on cellphones.

9 out of 10 times you can identify the conditions that will precipitate a threat before it becomes a close call or worse, if you're paying attention and expect the worst. All other vehicles on the road have to be evaluated as a potential threat; trust nobody.

Bitching about idiot drivers after the fact is useless - it doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong, only who's left. Folks, don't let 'em get ya!

+1

This is what I do when I'm near a lot of cars. Watch people like a hawk at intersections, don't ride in blindspots, and if someone is acting like an idiot then get away from them. You know not paying attention, speeding, or making erratic lane changes. If you can put as much space between the other cars on the road as possible at all times. Also check your rear when your stoped:)

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
F&D said:

I feel the same way, I keep myself out of situations that create a panic situation. I would say that the odds are more than 9 out of 10, more like 49 out of 50. If you are really riding defensivly, you are slowing down and covering that brake when entering an intersection where there are cars at cross streets, regardless of the light, stop signs, whatever. You are watching for the minivan that has mom on the cell phone and 4 screaming kids in the back of it to make that erratic move. The panel van with the construction company on the side is prolly looking up someone's number on his worksheet or using his nextel direct connect to find out where he/she needs to go and at the same time eating his/her lunch. That car with the Shower head on the exhaust, prolly made in 87, that is spray painted flat black is staring at the chick on the side of the road with it's bass thumping. None of these cars are looking for YOU. Nor do they care if you are there. Most of them don't want you on the road in the first place, because they see you and associate you with crazy squids sketching on the hwy, or running from the police.

I personally have not had any close calls and it's because I prepare for as many events as I possably can and I try to figure out what I would be doing if I was driving that cage, or that cage, or that cage. Most if not all of us drive cages, so put yourself in their cage while they are driving and you can begin to reasonably predict what they are going to be doing in the next three seconds and do this for all the cages that are surrounding you.

When I get done with a ride on the street, I have a completly clear head, because I have been so focused on preventing the incident that I can't focus my energy on anything else other than enjoying the ride and staying alive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts