Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I might be flamed from bringing this up, but it looks like cruisers look easier to ride than sportbikes. If you learned your bike skills on a cruiser. Can these skills be used on a sportbike?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Yes, pretty much. Most cruiser guys tend to use the rear brakes more than the front and they don't have great cornering clearance, but cruisers are fine tools for what they are intended for. Try pushing one too far and it'll bite you in the ass. I wouldn't suggest getting one if what you intend on racing around on it - but for learning, and general riding cruisers are great.

I think most skills you learn on any STREET bike transfer over to sportbikes. I don't think dirtbikes are good for much more than simple things like balance and learning the clutch and controls. Not because dirt bikes are bad mind you, just because the two styles of riding are totally different.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm short...5'4"...I read the specs on Sport bikes and looks like I won't be able to put both feet on the ground as I read in the motorcycle learners book. The cruisers seem like the way I might have to go. :-(

·
Registered
73 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
I'm short...5'4"...I read the specs on Sport bikes and looks like I won't be able to put both feet on the ground as I read in the motorcycle learners book. The cruisers seem like the way I might have to go. :-(

Don't let that stop ya if you like sportbikes. There are lowering kits for some bikes, shaving/replacing the seat foam, even wearing thicker soled boots. You also don't need to flat foot the bike.

My wife is 5' 2" and rode around on my ninja 250 (30/31" seat height) with just the tips or balls of her feet touching when at a stop. Others i've read will scoot off the saddle a bit and drop just one foot down. The only time you need to really touch the ground is at a standstill, with few exceptions to the I-can-balance-at-stop-for-10mins freaks around here. :lol

Good luck!
-Scea

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
The skills are the same, counter-steering, braking etc., you just get to lean a sportbike over much further before dragging hard parts. Many bikes can be lowered so don't discount a sportbike because of your height.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Cruisers are perfectly fine, if you are OK with the heavy weight and relative low power. Also remember that they aren't very good in the twisties (you drag hard parts relatively easy).

I had two cruisers, and they were perfectly fine. But I bought my Katana as I wanted to go faster and be able to turn faster. I was convinced that I needed a sportbike after shredding the muffler of my 250 cruiser while turning. The muffler was so bent, scraped and smashed that I replaced it with something with more clearance.

Then I found that I was dragging the footpegs, and didn't felt comfortable, as I could basically turn faster in my cage than in the cruiser, as it was dragging hard parts in relatively low speed turns.

But if you like to ride long distances with relative ease, you will be fine with a cruiser. And there is ton of aftermarket out there for them, you can also find parts to increase ground clearance and make handling better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I feel more comfortable on a sportbike than on a cruiser because of the increased manuverability and the riding position. I feel alot more vurnerable on a cruiser. I definately wouldn't mind owning one of those Rocket III's though.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I found using Autotrader.ca. Why does the Ninja 250 look faster than the 500? These prices are in Canadian. Are they right or a ripoff?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Hmmm, the two lower bikes aren't Ninja 250s. They are 250cc ZZRs. (The Ninja250 is an EX250).

The styling of the ZZR is derived from the ZZR600/Ninja 600 of the early nineties. The styling of the EX250 is straight from the days of the EX and GPZ bikes, pure 80s baby!

The EX500 (Ninja 500) was just a b***** EX250, basically same styling. However, they upgraded the looks, but closely based on the old ones.

That is why the ZZR looks much more modern.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
you gotta get used to the steering.. cuz you've got a better center of gravity

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
bottomdog said:
the zzr isnt as good beginnner bike either
I think they are great beginner bikes. Its a sport tourer and its only a 250. Good handling, light, bit more go than some other 250's, but not difficult to handle.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I'll confess I'm a big cruiser fan. I might get a Honda Shadow soon, maybe in two or three years. Definately getting one, just not sure when.

I sat on several in showrooms and fell in love with them. The seat is probably one or one and a half lower than my CBR's, so yeah, they would be great for riders with smaller in-seams / legs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
May cruiser is my first and only bike as of now. I plan on keeping it and getting a sport bike, hopefully sooner rather then later. Likely going R6.

But that's not what you asked about. I think my Shadow was a GREAT bike to start with!!! I'm a little tall for it at 6'3"...well maybe more then just a little tall. My bike would be just right for you. In fact, one of my good riding friends ride a Shadow and she is shorter then you. The height is GREAT. The only time you see her height making a difference is that she can't place her feet in really any other place but on the control pegs. Highway pegs and guards are too forward for her to reach! Hope that helps!

Jason

1 - 16 of 16 Posts