Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyz, whats up, i posted earlier about my new EX500, just took delivery this morning and what a bike! I had a 1997 Katana 600 for oh about a month (this is prior to reading all the great advice here on SBN) and by no means am I any kind of expert at this point, but I do see a lot of the points you guyz were talking about. For starters this bike is significantly lighter, easier for a newb to move around when off (backing it into my garage for instance). I'm still getting used to the bike, but i do notice that i'm not as clumsy on it as i was with the Katana. With the Katana (though its not as powerful as the newer SS) I felt significantly more afraid of crackin on the throttle than with my new EX500. The bike accelerates predicatably with no surges, but still has what I feel to be great throttle response.

Anywayz, one quick question, since this is my "true" first bike, what should i clean it with, and what precautions should I take?
I"ve bought some Yamaha polish, and was told that If I do want to wash it with water, don't get it into the exhaust.

Comments, comments! :headbang

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! I'm sure it's a lot easier to handle than the Kat (pretty heavy). The EX may actually be close to 100 lbs. lighter than the Kat. Don't worry too much about washing it. Use mild detergent or car/bike wash and rinse well with as light of a spray as you can. I use Motul wash for the tough grease and Dawn with warm water everywhere else. Just don't spray the hose hard on any of the electrics nor, obviously, down the exhaust. Also, if exposed, don't spray/wash too hard on the radiator. The little fins are kinda flimsy.

Bikes are meant to be OK riding in the rain, so a gentle wash won't hurt anything. Make sure you get all the water out of the chain. Not a bad idea to ride around a bit after a wash to help get all the water out. An air hose also works well. Again, be careful not to spray air where it might hurt something. Most importantly, have fun and ride safe!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Great bike choice. Comments are great for others to see too. Ride safe and enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts