Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what would be a good price for my EX? 1995 with 22,000 miles and clear title. I really want a VFR800. I'd probably wait until spring or early summer to actually list it for sale, but just seeing if I should get another season out of it or try to sell it while everything is new

New:
Grips
K&N air filter
New rubber inlets from air box to carbs
Plugs, caps, wires
Front brake pads
RK X ring chain, front and rear sprockets
Carbs (just rebuilt by a pro. New float needle valves, pilot screw assemblies, float bowl gaskets, and fuel rail o ring. Float levels set and they were bench synched)
Oil was just changed w/ Rotella T6 and filter

New tires in February 2013. Still look pretty good. Also replaced the battery around then

Valve check was done 1k miles ago and coolant was replaced

Smoked windscreen
ZX6 mirrors
Also has a somewhat rare full lower fairing

I know that it's only worth what someone will pay... Is $1500 an unreal number? List at $2,000, hope for $1750, take $1500?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I dunno what the markets like around you but 1500 doesn't sound unreasonable. It is almost 20 years old, but looks really clean. I wouldn't take a penny less than 1200. Could probably get 2k if you can wait until spring to sell it

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dunno what the markets like around you but 1500 doesn't sound unreasonable. It is almost 20 years old, but looks really clean. I wouldn't take a penny less than 1200. Could probably get 2k if you can wait until spring to sell it
Good. I paid $1300 so I wanted to get around that bottom dollar. I updated the OP again. Don't need to sell it right now. I could definitely hold out until spring. I'm just trying to see if I could afford a VFR beginning of this season. If I get 1500 I probably can... But... The price of everything goes up in the spring so maybe not.

There are a few 500's on craigslist. A beat up 93 that wont start for $600, a 2001 in comparable condition to mine for $1950, and some late models (2005+) for $3k+

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
It's only worth what someone will pay for it. Depending on the market in your area that could be a lot or a little. Hard for us to say. If you're not in a hurry to sell you can always start high and lower the price if it doesn't sell. It's a lot harder to raise the price when a million people want it cause you're selling too cheap.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that's a 2500 dollar bike here. . .

damn this place sucks.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The 500s are a little weird price-wise. I often see them listed for $3000 around here. I don't know if they sell for that much or not. IMO you have a$1500 bike there. I'd list it for $2500, then drop the price $200 a week until it sells.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 500s are a little weird price-wise. I often see them listed for $3000 around here. I don't know if they sell for that much or not. IMO you have a$1500 bike there. I'd list it for $2500, then drop the price $200 a week until it sells.
Good advice here. Wait till March and hopefully there are some listed for $3k to make yours look like a better value. Remind shoppers in your ad that there is now difference from 95 to the newest models, only the owner's level of care and maintenance.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My first bike was a 94 EX500, I bought and sold it for 1500. (The guy I bought it off of was asking 1500.) It was taken care of and farkled about as well as yours and the guy that bought it scooped it for 1500, which I was firm at. Asking 1700 or so and 'letting' them talk you down to 1500 would work.

Of course, it's all relative to how KY is on bike prices.

As far as buying a VFR in the spring, in my neck of the woods anyways, they run a bit higher than book, for whatever reason. People just didn't want to drop the prices. Fortunately, I found a guy that did...

That said, a 99 - 01 Gen 5 or 02 - 03 Gen 6 can be found all in the $3000-3999 range in spring. (Since Spring adds an unseen 15% Spring Tax). Do not be afraid of 'high' mileage VFRs. (Laughably what sportbike riders call 20,000+ miles) Those V4's, when taken care of, are the epitome of bulletproof. The electrics? Not so much. :facepalm (Get a new R/R put on first thing and keep an eye on your wiring, especially if it's a 5th Gen.)

Perks of a Gen 5 - Gear driven cams, no v-tech (and the interesting things there-in), less radical styling, weighs less than 6th Gen (20lb if no ABS on 6th gen, 30lb if ABS on 6th gen) 99 and 00 Gen 5 have no catalytic converter for a deeper exhaust note and less weight.

Perks of a Gen 6 - PO could have factory saddlebags and/or top case (Possible to buy these bags, but $500 is some coin), Possibility of ABS, damn near best headlights ever put on a motorcycle (the function of them, not the form), frame is a bit more rigid, SEXY undertail exhaust that pisses of Predators while showing off the SSSA. :D and more radical styling (if that's your thing), more aftermarket available due to being the latest model and running for 8 years compared to 4 years of Gen 5.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Mosfet upgrade would be one of the first things I did if I can't get this one below. I actually prefer the 5th gen styling. I know someone selling a gen 5 with
*POR-15 tank treatment
*SIGNAL DYNAMICS LED voltage monitor
*ZX10 MOSFET voltage regulator
*new AGM battery (March '13)
*K & N air filter
*CONTINENTAL "CONTIMOTION" sport/touring tires (fresh August '13) pro mounted and balanced
*IRIDIUM spark plugs
*fresh coolant
*fresh fork seals and oil (both HONDA OEM)
*WOLF UNDERSEAT EXHAUST (rebaffled for quiet) with stock exhaust supplied
* Pair system junk removed using block offs
*FACTORY PRO shift kit
*EBC clutch and heavy duty springs
*DYNAJET POWERCOMMANDER II
*GEN MAR BAR RISERS
*VTX cooling fan mod
*CBR954 (adjustable) rear shock mod
*Pro Grips 719?
*ZeroGravity smoked shield
*OEM service manual and owners manual
* OEM passenger handles (for 2 up riding) supplied
*2 OEM black keys
For $3800... If he still has it, I really want it. His has 30k miles. Is like 80k miles too high for VFR's? Or does it really not matter if it looks well maintained?

Also thanks for the advice on price. I was hoping to get around $1500 bottom dollar. Looks like that's about right.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^That's one hooked up VFR... What year is it? While 80k isn't 'too high' it's at the point where the price has better be significantly cut down. The engine's good if it's been taken care of, maybe use a valve check if the buyer's feeling antsy, but other parts might start to be showing age, especially electrics and suspension.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
FUCK YOU AND YOUR UNDERTAIL EXHAUST!
:twofinger

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
'98 I believe. This thing has been babied. I just need to make about a grand and sell my bike. Then I can buy his. And be the happiest person ever.

MMmmm isn't that a nice exhaust Pred?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts