Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been riding in the rain a few times, including a feeder band from a hurricane which was kinda fun I guess and never had any problem with roads. Well early today it rained like hell and I was riding tonight and I could see the roads were wet some places but I figured most of the oil and crap should have been lone gone and the road was semi dry. Well I ended up sliding about 25 feet into a intersection trying to stop for a light I probably could have just gone through. Braking was at maybe less than 40%? Back wheel just slide like ice for 25 feet and then it was fine and I kept going since no cars were going yet. Trying to recall what happend to fix my mistake, I realized I was in the middle of the lane because I just changed lanes before the light. there must have been some freshly spilled funk with some water on the ground and right after my tire hit that it hit those nice long white painted lines. I stayed cool, bike stayed up, lesson learned. :bitchslap

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
gotta watch out for the painted areas on the road they get slick when wet.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
Being in the center of the lane, especially close to a stop sign or intersection is always trouble in the wet - even if it has rained a while - because that caked on oil that is always in front of stop signs doesn't come up that easily. If you wan't to know what I mean, turn the hose on the greasy spot on concrete slab in front of your house and see how long oil continues to leach up from the surface under a full spray. You probably won't want to stand there and continue to hose it for as long as it takes. It takes a lot of water to lift that kind of gunk.

Stripes too are pretty slick in the wet, as are manhole covers and those metal plates they use in construction.

In the wet you need to be smooth on the gas, conservative in the corners and gentle on the brakes. Pretty much the same way you'd ride if you were on a gravel road. No quick stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts