Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I got a '98 XJ600S. Sometimes when I ride, the clutch will stop engaging. The clutch lever will pull the cable, and pull the clutch arm, but the clutch won't allow me to drop RPMs so I can shift. Then when the clutch finally starts working, the lever is very loose. When I pull the clutch, there's no give until the last little bit of the pull, and when I let go of the lever I have to push it back out because the lever won't go back to it's original position. Any ideas?

·
Are we not men?
9,033 Posts
Sounds like your cable is way too loose to start with. You also may have a problem with your clutch plates (broken) or clutch basket (cracked or worn).

You should still be able to shift (once moving) once you get off of the throttle. Getting into gear while stopped would be problematic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your cable is way too loose to start with. You also may have a problem with your clutch plates (broken) or clutch basket (cracked or worn).

You should still be able to shift (once moving) once you get off of the throttle. Getting into gear while stopped would be problematic.
Thanks, I actually got it fixed. The input shaft bolt I think it is, a big nut in the middle of the clutch assembly behind the clutch plate, was WAY too loose. Tightened it to 50ft-lbs, reattached the cable, now it's good. Just need a new torsion spring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts