Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partly in due to the fact that I'm essentially a gimp. I wadded my bike up yesterday afternoon.

I was riding on some back roads out by my house, and I know these roads very well. I ride them daily almost. Well, I was following a truck, and he started slowing down, to about 20 in a 45mph and had his blinker on and kept pointing out the window consistently. I was like, "I guess you want me to pass the way you're pointing and driving so slow for so long." Not the case, as soon as I went to go around him, I saw his wheels crank hard into my direction. I locked the front wheel up and laid her down . I dismounted the bike somewhere along the lines and I landed in a ditch filled with water and the bike hit the mans mailbox post (thank God I wasnt on it!).

After that happened, he was like, "Are you ok? I was pointing and going slow to let you know I was turning." I was like, who the fuck does that! If you hadn't been pointing and waving your hand, I NEVER would of gone around you. I didnt say that tho. Well, I got the bike back up and it fired right up. They wanted to call the police and ambulance (I didnt hit his truck or fence, just the bike hit the mailbox). I said I would pay for the box and to get the bike in 1st gear and I'd ride home the 4 miles since I'm stubborn. Got home in 1st gear and barely made it in the house.

Extent of my injuries? I was wearing my helmet, gloves, and jacket, so I was for the most part, good up top, except I bruised a rib they think. Well I only had jeans on down below, so my left knee that hit first looks like ground beef. I dug a hole down to the knee cap and tendons. They said my tendons were 95%-99% in tact since I was able to limp around from the stiffness and bruising. Got a little other rash but nothing as serious as my left knee. Well I can't move at all today barely, it takes someone swinging my legs around for me since they are so stiff.

The bike, if I claim it, will be a total loss I bet. I rashed the front fairing, left fairing, tail fairing, gear shift broke, clutch lever, bar end, mirror, signal, and engine covers. Swingarm was untouched, frame has some superficial scratches, and the wheels and tires are good. I am going to try to rebuild it slowly out of pocket, but it will take awhile, atleast till I heal up. Claiming it will simply KILL my insurance rates.

Thats my story folks. Bottomline? WEAR YOUR GEAR WHILE RIDING. It saved my life and a lot of pain for my hands and upper body. If I had on leather pants, it would of saved me almost 90% of the rash I got.

Steve

·
Registered
912 Posts
Damn good luck with the healing process

·
Registered
522 Posts
that sucks dude, who the hell points which way they're going? They teach you proper hand signals when you get your drivers permit, but most people probably don't even remember I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
umm actually motorcycle riders and some motorist point and turn there blinkers in the direction just to make sure the person behind them knows what is going on.

Lets see,

he was pointing in the direction he was turning, slowing down, and had his blinker on.

I would say its your fault. People who slow down and let me by, usually pull off the road a little and slow down. And they might put there blinker to show them moving, but they don't put the blinker on to make a left turn, if they are pulling over to the right hand side.

Hope you learned from this one

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
damm, almost made it a mos. of riding

if you claim that bike. your rates will get all jacked up. single vehicle accident, totalled, what 1 or 2 payments at most........

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never said I wasnt at fault and dont plan on claiming it. It looks to be superficial damage only on the left side.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
these 600SS bikes create a sense of overconfidence, that newer riders don't realize, even though ever one of them say's........i'll respect it.........and to add your own inexperience on the road, just makes it worse.

not picking on you specifically.....just generalizing.....

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think I was outta line. It was an open backroad, dotted yellow, and clear ahead. Add into the fact the man was crawling for 200ft, and pointing\waving, thats why I made my decision. I hit the pavement no more then 40mph in a 45mph. I blame myself and poor decision more then anything, especially the bike.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
but would you have done the same thing in your car?

here's a question for ya, whats the fastst you've gone on the bike, top speed?

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
80mph in a 65mph on the interstate coming home from work. I don't need any tickets and DEFINATELY no more wrecks :D.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
RACER X said:
these 600SS bikes create a sense of overconfidence, that newer riders don't realize, even though ever one of them say's........i'll respect it.........and to add your own inexperience on the road, just makes it worse.

not picking on you specifically.....just generalizing.....
Yup, RacerX is right, 600SS bikes get you into trouble pretty quickly, slow they ain't :)

Happy you're basically ok Truck, luckily for you it's just another part of your learning experience - could've been worse.

all the best :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't think it's fair to blame his choice of bike in this situation. It isn't the bike that got him into any trouble, it was his judgement, and his judgement is something that he carries with him from bike to bike. The lesson he's learning in regards to his choice of bike is purely monetary, had he started out on a proper bike that poor judgement call would have been a lot cheaper on his wallet.

I still think it's a bad idea to start out on a 600 supersport, but the least we can do is be fair here if we're going to pass judgement on him.

Sorry to hear about your wreck man, chalk it up as a lesson learned. Maybe now you understand where some of us are coming from.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i disagree.......my point is these bikes give the new riders a type of "liquid courage" , then it bites them in the ass.....

again not singling TRUCK out, but i bet he's gone over the 85 he stated.....if he hasn't good for him. but most new rider's try it out......now do you think new car driver within 1 mos. go out and bust 100+ mph........but i bet it's pretty common on sportbikes. so yes it was his judgement, but it's like his judgement while on that courage high....

why it's so easy. until they get into trouble.

then there's the locking up the ft tire.......much harder to do on a 500 vs a 600SS. again new rider error..........but it prolly wouldn't have locked up w/ a 500. but 600 brakes are sensative.....and he wasn't sensative enough.

truck, i'm not trying to single you out, but this is textbook, it was the rider and not the bike.....but if you break it down, the bike was a major part of the problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
RACER X said:
i disagree.......my point is these bikes give the new riders a type of "liquid courage" , then it bites them in the ass.....

again not singling TRUCK out, but i bet he's gone over the 85 he stated.....if he hasn't good for him. but most new rider's try it out......now do you think new car driver within 1 mos. go out and bust 100+ mph........but i bet it's pretty common on sportbikes. so yes it was his judgement, but it's like his judgement while on that courage high....

why it's so easy. until they get into trouble.

then there's the locking up the ft tire.......much harder to do on a 500 vs a 600SS. again new rider error..........but it prolly wouldn't have locked up w/ a 500. but 600 brakes are sensative.....and he wasn't sensative enough.

truck, i'm not trying to single you out, but this is textbook, it was the rider and not the bike.....but if you break it down, the bike was a major part of the problem.
This has nothing to do with courage. He would have made the same mistake no matter what he was riding. Misinterpreting a hand signal has nothing to do with courage or motorcycle performance.

A friend of mine made the same exact mistake Truck did except he did it on an R6. Another friend got taken out by a right turning car under very similar circumstances, he was riding his DR650 and he locked up his front brake to avoid it, so please don't tell me it's somehow easier to lock up the front brake on a supersport than on anything else, in a panic situation that isn't necessarily true.

You think too much. Sometimes the answer isn't nearly as complicated as you expect it to be.

Please, tell me how he would have made the decision to not pass had he not been on a 600. I don't think you can. ...and "courage" is not a valid answer, I thought my GS500 was the fastest thing on earth when I didn't know any better, I took it up to top speed and was scratching pegs within a month of owning it. The machine didn't matter, I was still doing stupid shit on it. But in this case the rider isn't the victim of his own stupidity, he's the victim of simple ignorance... and that's something that happens to all of us no matter what the skill level.

·
Registered
569 Posts
PS -> Truck, I wasn't calling you stupid. :D Just saying that we all have our moments of stupidity.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
DR650, enduro bikes, knobbies.......much easier to lock up......watch it all the time we have yammy TTR's. and they're always locking up .

if he bought a 600 he knows it's fast. if he buy's a 500, he thinks 600s are alot faster.

again a false sense. would he have attempted the pass, knowing he's riding his bike at 50% or 30% of it's performance potential.........

courage is not the word i'm looking for but more, confidence.....are over confidence.

and you reached your limits on the 500, chances are it had alot more to go give the track. but on a 600 your never going to reach the bikes limits either on the street or track. and your traveling alot faster at your limits on a 600

·
Registered
569 Posts
RACER X said:
DR650, enduro bikes, knobbies.......much easier to lock up......watch it all the time we have yammy TTR's. and they're always locking up .

if he bought a 600 he knows it's fast. if he buy's a 500, he thinks 600s are alot faster.

again a false sense. would he have attempted the pass, knowing he's riding his bike at 50% or 30% of it's performance potential.........

courage is not the word i'm looking for but more, confidence.....are over confidence.

and you reached your limits on the 500, chances are it had alot more to go give the track. but on a 600 your never going to reach the bikes limits either on the street or track. and your traveling alot faster at your limits on a 600
In many situations I would certainly agree that all of those things matter, but in this particular situation I really don't think any of that matters.

His choice to start on an F4i was not good, but the results of this one situation probably would have been the same no matter what bike he was on.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
and i disagree :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Truck said:
Thats my story folks. Bottomline? WEAR YOUR GEAR WHILE RIDING. It saved my life and a lot of pain for my hands and upper body. If I had on leather pants, it would of saved me almost 90% of the rash I got.

Steve
Heal up fast. It's reading posts like yours that make sure I wear all of my riding gear when I ride.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In this particular circumstance, I would of punched my truck and got that small block spinning to go around. Its one of those situations where you just had to of been there to of made a choice.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts