Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found an '87 EX500 with 30k on it, vance & hines pipe, all the fairing, good running condition. Today I went over and bought it for $800. The FIRST THING I noted was that the tires had tread but they looked like they'd been out in the sun for a long time and that I should replace them. Foolishly, I decided to just ride it home after taking it around the block a few times...

I was extra slow going around a simple right turn, accelerated through and suddenly the rear tire goes out from under me and all I can think of is "$800!". I was going almost 20mph, my helmet didn't even touch the ground, everything was fine accept for scraped knees.

I tried to pick the bike up (uphill) in the middle of this giant, busy intersection but kept slipping on my butt like an idiot 'cause I didn't notice the coolant spewing onto the ground. For those of you in LA it was at the corner of Sepulveda & Burbank.

Anyway, through amazing luck the guy who owns the store on the corner was into bikes and let me leave it at his lot overnight and actually JB welded a hole in the pump cover since the part was trash anyway. He knew what he was doing and it seemed to work pretty well. At the moment, I'm decided whether I should just part it out or not, just to get my money back. I should have never ridden a bike with questionable tires.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
swrlyhrly said:
did the tire blow? i dont get how it would just fall out if it didnt blow or you didnt slip on something. Glad your ok.
The tire was sun dried. I thought it would be ok to get home because it wasn't particularly cracked-looking before I took off but in a tire like that the rubber gets hard, cracks and can't maintain traction.

Edit: Oh, and thanks.

· Registered
259 Posts
cycledesign said:
...suddenly the rear tire goes out from under me and all I can think of is "$800!".
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor
Glad to hear you're alright bro. Funny what goes thru our minds in the midst of imminent pWnag3.
:cheers

· Registered
967 Posts
Hit up ebay for a pump cover. Put some fresh rubber on it and enjoy the bike.

· Registered
4,682 Posts
ebay is an ex500 owners best friend....fix it up!
And now that you've experienced hitting the road and your bike is not mint, it affords you a great opportunity to really learn some riding skills on a bike you are not afraid of getting scratched or dirty.

· Registered
10,767 Posts
glad you are alright.
I would fix it and ride it for awhile then sell it later on after gaining some experience.

· Registered
465 Posts
21 natas said:
glad you are alright.
I would fix it and ride it for awhile then sell it later on after gaining some experience.
Based off his profile, I'd say he didn't buy it to get experience on... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.