Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As it says.
Had to make room for the ZX10R. So I sold the ZX9R for $4000 to this 20 year old kid.

Now before the flame fires up, he has FZ1 experience, so he says.

I kinda didnt wanna let her go, but he got a smoking deal.
With the 9R he also got:

2003 ZX9 Engine with harness and extras
extra springs
extra chain (DiD gold)
new front tire
Raceteck Springs
Joe Rocket Gloves
2 KBC helmets
and 2 racing tails.

In my opinion, I dont think he has enough riding experience, but it was either my bike or a 2001 GSXR1000.

He bought mine.

Now to piece the ZX10R together. It will be up and running within 1 month...Muuhahhahaaahaha!

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
by 20 he whould be smart enough to make his own decisions, your only obligation may be to ask if he knows what he is buying. from that point on. its all about money.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
By twenty he could have four years of street riding experience. Still, I'm 19, riding since I was 16, and I don't even trust myself on my 600. There are some young people that I know that would be absolutely fine on a litre bike, I'm not one of them though.

The man you sold it too is old enough to make adult decisions, if he fucks up, it's his fault.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I got a buddy that was 21 and bought the GSXR 1000 2001... as his first bike.
He is stiil riding. He sold the bike this year and is getting the 2009.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
beo, i feel like you violated me. i thought we were brothers.

but then you sell your classic and denounce young lads purchasing classics of similar age and size for there beautys

young men who dont want to be part of the crowd on there gixxer 750s

young men who appreciate the heavy weight and loud carbs of a pre 2000s bike

young men who watched cool as ice and said OH MY GOD I WANT A BIKE LIKE THAT

:(

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i bet he likes fat chicks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You have no reason to get flamed. If you refused the sale, its not like it was gonna stop him from buying a bike somewhere else...

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beo, i feel like you violated me. i thought we were brothers.

but then you sell your classic and denounce young lads purchasing classics of similar age and size for there beautys

young men who dont want to be part of the crowd on there gixxer 750s

young men who appreciate the heavy weight and loud carbs of a pre 2000s bike

young men who watched cool as ice and said OH MY GOD I WANT A BIKE LIKE THAT

:(
Well I denounce young lads purchasing liters for 1st bikes. He had an FZ1 which is a liter-Thats what he sold to buy my ZX9.

Oh you said "gixxer"....I like the GSXR750-its a great bike.

But I kept my iconic bike-the GSXR1340.

Attachments

·
"Mindbottling isn't it?"
4,573 Posts
When I had the TLR up for sale a few months ago I turned a 20yr old perspective buyer away due to it being his first bike. Later I decided that he is an adult, I'm not his daddy and should have sold it to him. All you can do is dissuade them from purchase and that's about as far as you can go. If after offering your educated opinion they still want the bike then I say sell the damn thing. Luckily, I ended up selling it to an experienced rider.

Congrats on the sale and good luck with the new bike.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As it says.
Had to make room for the ZX10R. So I sold the ZX9R for $4000 to this 20 year old kid.

Now before the flame fires up, he has FZ1 experience, so he says.

I kinda didnt wanna let her go, but he got a smoking deal.
With the 9R he also got:

2003 ZX9 Engine with harness and extras
extra springs
extra chain (DiD gold)
new front tire
Raceteck Springs
Joe Rocket Gloves
2 KBC helmets
and 2 racing tails.

In my opinion, I dont think he has enough riding experience, but it was either my bike or a 2001 GSXR1000.

He bought mine.

Now to piece the ZX10R together. It will be up and running within 1 month...Muuhahhahaaahaha!
You sold your bike to a 20yr old? You should have post here that you were selling. I would have bought it! just so that that bike wont end up in the junk yard. Statistically this bike will end up in a crash cuz rider rode the bike beyond his means and therefore leading to a wreck. If I bought it I can keep it in pristine condition years from now cuz I am OCD and love to work on and take care of my bikes.

·
The chick on the Beemer!
455 Posts
Congrats on selling your bike. It is tough letting something go you have put a lot of time an effort into. I remember selling my f4i to two pretty young guys back in 2001. One guy ended up riding it away for the kid who was actually going to own it. He ended up riding a wheelie on it down the street. sheesh

Turns out 6 months later I get a call from Joe Harrison. Turns out the kid never registered the bike to himself and wanted to trade it in on a b***** bike (you know the f4i is just soooo slow). I had to go down there and sign the title for them. My poor baby was filthy.

On a good note I found my bike a few years ago... I know it was mine because of the aftermarket m4 pipe and the woody sticker on the front of the front fairing. It was well kept by its new owner. On a bad note - the kid that got the b***** more manly bike ended up killing himself and his passenger when he rode through a light at breakneck speed at blanco and 1604. I think he may have had the green but was going so fast the right turner never saw him coming over that hill.

You fix them up, keep them nice and pretty but who knows how it is going to turn out after they leave your garage forever.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
probably doesn't apply to private sellers, but we insure motorcycle dealers and we've had a couple of lawsuits from a dealer selling "expert" motorcycles to inexperienced riders who later injured or killed themselves on the bike. We've also had lawsuits from people who had a dealership refuse to sell them an "expert" bike because of their lack of experience. Can't win for losing. Depending on the state you're in you might make up a release and waiver for a buyer to sign - have an attorney go through it. Basically, "I understand that riding a motorcycle is a dangerous activity. I understand that _____ is an expert level motorcycle. I agree to hold ___________ harmless for any accident I have as a result of riding this motorcycle. ___________ has warned me of the dangers of riding ______ without prior experience and I am aware of the potential dangers of riding such a motorcycle.

signed _________________

Some states they don't hold up in court, but if you can prove you tried to warn him against it you should be fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i had a cbr 929 when i was 20. i started at 17 on a gsxr 600 which i am back on again now. 929 was an awesome bike. got stolen after a year. i rode that bike waaaaaaaaay harder then i rode my 600. when i got the 929 is when i turned serious and stopped squiding around without gear. maybe its just what he needs.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Damn beo, biased much? you should've just sold your bike to some old fart who was just now buying a first bike because of rising fuel prices, I'm sure he'd ride better than me or any other experienced 20/y old ...

get real.

·
Ride Twins!
1,957 Posts
Damn beo, biased much? you should've just sold your bike to some old fart who was just now buying a first bike because of rising fuel prices, I'm sure he'd ride better than me or any other experienced 20/y old ...

get real.
Most 40 year olds are helluva lot more level headed than 20 years olds, and I say that as a 20 year old.

get real.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Most 40 year olds are helluva lot more level headed than 20 years olds, and I say that as a 20 year old.

get real.

So that 40 year old has more riding experience than that 20 year old, like me for instance? Even though he/she's never riden a bike in his her lifetime? hell let's be fair, let's say this person last rode in 1984 :lao

no, you sir, need to get real :)

unless you care to explain your reasoning?

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So that 40 year old has more riding experience than that 20 year old, like me for instance? Even though he/she's never riden a bike in his her lifetime? hell let's be fair, let's say this person last rode in 1984 :lao

no, you sir, need to get real :)

How much more real do you want me to get? If I sold you a 140hp motorcycle and you are used to a 50hp (EX500) I would worry as well.

It is not only an experience on the motorcycle, but also an experience in life-which at 20 years, there are only a few that are mature to respect things more powerful than them-which one are you?

Put it this way, I know how quick, fast and wheelie happy that ZX9 is-so I could only take his word that he previously owned a FZ1.

Doesn't get any realistic than that-putt putt.

·
Ride Twins!
1,957 Posts
Let me repeat myself:

"Most 40 year olds are helluva lot more level headed than 20 years olds".

What part of that do you disagree with? Regardless, if I had the choice of you or a 40 year old who hasn't ridden in 20 years...I'll take a life insurance policy out on you. Nothing personal, it all comes down to the odds.

beowulf2k said:
How noble of you. Always thinking of the kids, ain'tchya? Someone give this guy a fawkin' medal.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
If I really wanted to make sure what the buyer was getting into, Id ask them how much horsepower it makes and its 1/4 mile time, then a 1/4 time of a viper. If they get it right they can have it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts