Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today me and a friend decided we were gonna take a long ride and ended up do 132 miles tongiht and i was pretty tired but instead of going straight home i drive past a friend of mines house where a bunch of friends are hangin out. one of my buddies that i usually let ride it asked me to ride so i let him, sure enough 30 seconds later he lowsides my bike into the grass. now the upper is cracked pretty bad and so is the lower on the left side and both are scratched to hell. cheetah makes nice fiberglass replacements for 400 for the set, hopefully hell stick to his word and pay half.... guys do your self a favor and dont let ANY ONE ride your shit!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That sucks............. and I hope he comes through for you.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sorry to hear that, but I would try to get him to pay for the whole thing and not just half since it was his fault.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Agreeing with Natas here. Have him pay for all of it. You did him a favor by letting him ride your bike, and after messing it up for you, he should pay. Was he intoxicated? That fool. Anyone that rides someone else's bike, should be fully aware even without a written agreement, that they are liable for it.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
I would never let my friends ride it. Well, it actually depends on who it is. For example, the previous seller i'm getting to know him working on the bike together and all, and I'd let him ride it anytime, cause he used to own the bike. Probably knows it better than I do right now. Couple friends I would trust but there are MOST of myf riends i would never trust on my bike. Especially the really pushy ones that say that I'm "fucked up" for not letting them, but whatever.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
The only people that I would let touch any of my vehicles are those I have confidence in (few in my lifetime) on the condition that they have the forsight, courtesy and respect for me and my property to first tell me he or she will take full responsibilty for whatever happens from the minute they take the keys 'til they are returned.
I doubt I would let any one at all ride my bike. They kill themselves on it then I will have to live with it.
How did your buddy fare in his little screw up?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I got one friend that can ride my bike at his leisure. I wouldn't have my bike if it wasn't for him, and it would still be scrap also.

I have another friend that I would trust with any of my rides, but not my bike. He lowsided another guys bike twice, couldn't even tell me why he did it, says he wont ride a bike again :rolleyes

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Tell that fool you want an upper and lower. Don't care how he gets it you just don't want to have to pay for it, order it or deal with it at all. Before he got on the bike it was whole. He fucked it up he fixes it , end of story.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I have a basic rule of thumb, if someone loans me something and I screw it up then I pay to have it fixed. I would expect the same if I loaned something to someone and they screwed it up....they should fix it. It is different if someone breaks my $50 coffee table but let them break my new bike!!! Not a good thing. Hope it works out for you bro!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys but there are actually only 2 ppl i actually trust ridin my bike and he was one of them i cant believe it happened. he came around a corner a little to fast that was covered in sand before i kno it my bike is layin in the grass. the only reason that i would ask him to pay half or possibly a little more is because the same fairings had some rash and a crack already but idk im gonna talk to him about it today and tell him wut he needs to do just out of respect for me ill keep you guys posted

o and no he was not intoxicated becuase in my opinion this whole thing would be my fault if he was. the only keys u give to a drunk are the ones that open his door so he can go to bed

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hams51 said:
Anyone that rides someone else's bike, should be fully aware even without a written agreement, that they are liable for it.
Legally they're not....if they wreck and hurt themseleves and/or someone else it comes back on the owner that GAVE THEM PERMISSION to ride it. I've heard of a few that went to small claims court and there it could really go either way depending on the situation and the judge.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I can't believe ppl actually think their "buddy" is going to pay for something they fucked up. Sure, sometimes they will, but most every story I read/heard about, the buddy never pays up. Paying up might be the "right" thing to do, but unlikely to happen.

I do let people ride my bike, but am already expecting to pay for it if they fuck it up. And I tell them if they crash it, make sure they totall it (so I can get a NEW bike :) ).

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
TRaGiK said:
I can't believe ppl actually think their "buddy" is going to pay for something they fucked up. Sure, sometimes they will, but most every story I read/heard about, the buddy never pays up. Paying up might be the "right" thing to do, but unlikely to happen.

I do let people ride my bike, but am already expecting to pay for it if they fuck it up. And I tell them if they crash it, make sure they totall it (so I can get a NEW bike :) ).
If they are responsible adults, they know what is right and will make it right the best they can.
If they are kids, they will treat it the same as they would their parents stuff and walk away since it's not their stuff that is broken.
If the fairing was already scratched and cracked, you wouldn't expect them to buy you a brand new fairing, just tell them what their share will be toward a replacement and see what happens.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
kazlab67 said:
If they are responsible adults, they know what is right and will make it right the best they can.
If they are kids, they will treat it the same as they would their parents stuff and walk away since it's not their stuff that is broken.
True enough, but even YOU have been screwed over like this....haven't you?

If I ever crashed someone's bike, I'd definately fix it... but everyone is not like that.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
TRaGiK said:
True enough, but even YOU have been screwed over like this....haven't you?

If I ever crashed someone's bike, I'd definately fix it... but everyone is not like that.
My brother came into town and crashed my ex500. I knew it was going to happen way before it did, just because of the way he is. However, I had layed down his bike 18 years ago so we are now equal.
He scraped my brand new upper, broke the clutch lever and turn signal and tore up my brand new helmet. I gave him the helmet as a memento.
He never gave me a penny for the damage but he's my brother so I let it pass.
If you can't afford to fix it yourself then don't let others ride it, you are just asking for trouble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts