Are we not men?
9,009 Posts
Well then. That sucks. Know what brand?

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Well then. That sucks. Know what brand?
Look at the stamping 525 VAZ...

....that is a DID chain. I can buy on in the local parts place here in Japan.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12000 mi in 7 mos

She's not a garage queen like most bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Still gotta lube it at the very least.... I lube before every ride or if I know I wont have time after the ride is over. If I am on a long trip I take a bottle of lube with me in the tailbag so I can lube the chain every day at the very least. In any case DID is a good brand.

·
Are we not men?
9,009 Posts
That's a bit excessive. Most chains recommend every 500 miles. I usually hit mine once a week (about 250 miles) or after riding in rain.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,890 Posts
I'm pretty sloppy when it comes to chain care; I do lube it up after riding in the rain, other than that I just touch it and if it's not greasy I lube it up. I usually get around 12,000 miles out of a chain and end up replacing them because of the stiff links.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
That's a bit excessive. Most chains recommend every 500 miles. I usually hit mine once a week (about 250 miles) or after riding in rain.
I ride a bunch though so a 500 mile day isn't out of the question and 250 mile day is about the least I will pull the bike out of the garage for other than going to work. If I am only going to work and back then I will do the lube once a week or so which puts me at about 350 miles for the week (but that's a bad week :wink:).

·
Are we not men?
9,009 Posts
OK, I stand corrected. Shoulda looked at your profile...it's a half day ride to get anywhere in Texas. :poke

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
OK, I stand corrected. Shoulda looked at your profile...it's a half day ride to get anywhere in Texas. :poke
:laugh: I actually in Illinois now ... I should change that on the profile but then I hope to make it back to Texas in the future. I know what your saying about half a day ride though and it has some truth to it.

·
Are we not men?
9,009 Posts
I drive semi. When I was over the road, I once had a load to Laredo. It was a full day drive from Dallas to Laredo and back to Dallas. That's a 14 hr day!

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
I don't know which ducati you have but these new 1000's can eat chains for lunch. I've been through 2 myself in 5000 miles. stock chain had a tight spot. the RK 520 maxx chain I bought didn't last 100 miles. a few hard accels on it ate it up in little time. it stretched it so bad in one spot it made noises and made my tach jump up and down at speed.

I replaced the RK maxx chain with a EK MVXZ and it's holding up just fine. it is rated higher strength than the rk chain though which is why it costs more too. so it's not a fair comparison.

so far I've had the best luck from EK chains over DID and RK

·
Fast Old Fart on a Bike
41 Posts
You lucked out and didn't hole the case. A case saver is cheap insurance. First thing I put on any new to me Ducati.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right , apparently my bike had 1 on there as I bought it used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts